Menu

Is it necessary to start at level one in All About Spelling?

mrshomework

I am planning 2nd grade curriculum and for anyone that has used AAS is it really necessary to begin at Level 1? Is teachers guide nessary? I have not used a formal spelling program until now. My dd seems to pick up on spelling okay but she does need a program. She reads at grade level but she does forget the phonics rules sometime when pronouncing unfamiliar words.

I am also wondering if there are other favorite spelling programs that teach spelling rules?

Our background is that we did SWR for 2 full years and thoroughly, but my ds just was not retaining things. He'd do very well on the tests, but the spelling was not transferring to his writing. We started AAS this year and did start with Level 1 (which I would say is necessary). Since we'd done AAS, he flew through it, but I know it was a good foundation, plus AAS does more with syllables than SWR so that was necessary. Yes, the Teacher's Guide is definitely necessary. The only other spelling I'm familiar with is SWR and it's very teacher intensive. We're loving AAS!!! Ds even asked me to set the timer 5 minutes longer yesterday and says things like, "OH, I'm so excited we get to do our spelling!" He never said anything like that with SWR.

Hi, yes, you need the teacher guide. This is a scripted program. You read from the teacher book and it has the expected student answer. You literally just go through doing it as written. The website says to start at level 1...they are not grade levels...b/c the program builds. My kids did level 1 in a few weeks and level 2 in a month. I shared materials to save money.

I would use level 1 with a 2nd grader. I would only skip level 1 if I had an older child...I don't want to say a specific age, but definitely older, reading very fluently, already spelling large words...etc. It really is a good foundation to the program, and your child may go through it quickly. My son is in 2nd grade now and went through level 1 easily in a couple of weeks, but I feel that it was necessary for him to understand the process and for me to get used to a new program.

And yes, you need the teacher's book for all levels, the student materials are just cards.

HTH! It is a great program, and I recommend it!

Yes I think it is important to start at level one. In every level there are spelling rules that need to be learned and that is what makes the program so wonderful. I can see my son processing the rule in his head, and sometimes out loud to himself in his reading and writing.

There is a small section at the front that we went through all in one day because he already knew his letter sounds, but even there we held back the cards that explained all the different sounds the vowels and of course Y could make to memorize them. The great thing about starting with level 1 is that you can take it as fast as your child can handle and you will instantly know when you get to the point where he needs more work because you will see it on the whiteboard.

The program contains the teachers manual, and the student pack, which gives you the tiles, and all the cards. You have to have them both. But there isn't a student book because all the child's work is done on the whiteboard. (I also use a composition notebook for dictation and spelling 'tests') It might seem expensive, and it is compared to spelling workbooks, but by the time you add up the wasted money and time on workbooks that didn't work, I wish I had started with AAS in the beginning. The other great thing is nothing is consumable so it has a decent resale value, and as well as it works I can't see AAS being a fad, that will fall out of favor in the homeschooling crowd like other programs sometimes do.

I started my 2nd grader with level 1 and am glad we did as it layed a good foundation for the basic spelling rules and phonics. We finished it within 2 months and will be finishing level 2 soon.

:iagree: I started my 3rd grader with level 1 and because it was "easy" for him he now loves spelling. We had previously been using Spelling Workout which led to tears and cries, "Mom, you're torturing me!" It was torture for both of us. And, he wasn't learning.

Yes I think it is important to start at level one. In every level there are spelling rules that need to be learned and that is what makes the program so wonderful. I can see my son processing the rule in his head, and sometimes out loud to himself in his reading and writing.

There is a small section at the front that we went through all in one day because he already knew his letter sounds, but even there we held back the cards that explained all the different sounds the vowels and of course Y could make to memorize them. The great thing about starting with level 1 is that you can take it as fast as your child can handle and you will instantly know when you get to the point where he needs more work because you will see it on the whiteboard.

The program contains the teachers manual, and the student pack, which gives you the tiles, and all the cards. You have to have them both. But there isn't a student book because all the child's work is done on the whiteboard. (I also use a composition notebook for dictation and spelling 'tests') It might seem expensive, and it is compared to spelling workbooks, but by the time you add up the wasted money and time on workbooks that didn't work, I wish I had started with AAS in the beginning. The other great thing is nothing is consumable so it has a decent resale value, and as well as it works I can't see AAS being a fad, that will fall out of favor in the homeschooling crowd like other programs sometimes do.

:iagree::iagree:

Now, ds "gets" it, and he likes this program so he looks forward to spelling. AND, he finally thinks he's good at it!! Worth all the $$ in the world to me!!

It's kind of unfortunate that there are just a couple of rules in level 1 that shouldn't be missed with a younger child, because for the most part, I think children taught with phonics who understand how to clap syllables, segment 3 and 4 letter short vowel words and have good phonemic awareness already, would not otherwise need level 1. I am using AAS1 for the second time now with a first grader that is not even a fluent reader, and most level 1 is overkill for him. But there are just a couple of rules that are beyond spelling cvc words, that are worth going over.

I recently started my 4th grader in Level 1. Much of it is way too easy, letter sounds, but there are a few letters she didn't know all the sounds of (O and Y), and there are two rules so far introduced that she learned afresh. She is having fun with the magnetic letter tiles and doesn't mind a bit that much of it is beneath her level. I hope she develops a love for spelling like a previous poster's son did, simply because it started out so easy.

I'd start at the beginning. It will also help you as the teacher to get the program going. The learning curve for you is not too much, IMO.

I'm thinking/hoping it has good resale value because I couldn't find one used, because at the rate we are zipping through (2 lessons per day), we'll go through a level in three weeks until she catches up to her personal level.

Homeschool blog:

www.heartsforhomeschooling.blogspot.com

Quilting blog:

www.busyhandsquilts.blogspot.com