Menu

Which self-teaching math curriculum?

Charmaine

My friend is looking for a self-teaching math curriculum for her 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 7th graders. It doesn't matter if it is computer based or not, but needs to limit her teaching time.

The children have been using A Beka to date. My friend was considering Teaching Textbooks (and her kids tested above grade level on the placement tests), but I have seen comments on this board that TT may not be complete or challenging enough.

I use and love Singapore, but would not call it self-teaching at all.

What high-quality self-teaching math curriculum can the "hive mind" help me recommend to my friend? Or do you recommend that she supplement TT with something?

Thanks,

Charmaine

MUS isn't advertised as self-teaching but in house it really has turned out that way for the most part. I usually (not always) watch the lessons with the kids on the first day which takes 10 or 15 minutes and then they complete the worksheets and tests by themselves over the rest of the week. Every once in a while there is a concept I may have to work with them a bit on but honestly that only happens very sporadically.

HTH

Hmm. Christian Light , Ace School of tomorrow are self teaching , Alpha Omega has SOS ( switched on school house ) which is a computer based program of their Life pac programs for grades 3 and up .

It depends on what she wants . Most families prefer Christian Light though it is a non color curriculum. If she is looking for something that is colorful in nature then Ace school of tomorrow or A/O's SOS would do well

TT is perfect - she just needs to buy a year ahead of her kid's grade. My 5th grader is in TT6, which is really 5th grade math (or what 5th grade math used to be, before new-fangled stuff got shoved into various math programs.)

we switched from Abeka (used it for many years) to MUS this school year for all four of my kids. I am using it as self-teaching, I sit in on the younger 2 video lessons once a week, but basically supervise the youngers, check everyone's work and explain things once in a while to an older who is stuck. I am loving it, so much less work then when I did the abeka.

I am having the same issue here. I need a self teaching math that is as thorough as saxon but not as time intensive. We are taking 1-2 hours a day to finish and it is killing my dc. they are in 8/7, 5/4 and saxon 1

If you are looking for a math program and don't mind using from a Christian publisher then Christian Light Math would be the way to go then . It is taught like Saxon math , does bring up higher levels of math and its in workbook form and takes less time to teach . But this is the only other math program that I know of at the moment that is similar to Saxon .

I agree with suggesting Christian Light. We have used it for three years and are starting fourth grade with it. It uses spiral learning which is wonderful for my children. I also like that the directions are given in one grade level lower (like third grade instructions are written at second grade levels) so that all levels of readers can read them for themselves. They incorporate daily drill practice, flash cards for elementary level, and various oral skills daily along with the lesson. I also appreciate that it is inexpensive compared to others. So there was my CLE spiel for the day, lol. I was just trying to say it might be worth looking into! ;o)

and I've not seen any comments that it's incomplete or too easy. Dr. Mosley, the DVD instructor, will directly answer student questions. This program runs through Calculus.

If the 5th grader has been introduced to fractions and decimals, he might be ready for CD Basic Math.

Thanks ladies! I am so glad to be able to share this info with my friend. She is planning to sign up to join the boards also.

Even though I hardly ever post, this board has been a wonderful resource for my homeschooling journey (as well as random other things like baking bread, buying an epilator, IKEA bookcases, and organic milk!). The hive mind is the best! :D

Chalk Dust now starts at the third-grade level:

https://secure.chalkdust.com/ssl/stuform.html

My kids are older (next year doing Algebra 1 and 2, respectively), so I haven't looked at the new materials for younger kids.

We are very happy with Chalk Dust. Also, the program is complete and college-prep, and it can take a student through Calculus.

The Chalkdust 3rd-5th courses are NOT written by them. These are by a company called Math Matters. The link to their site is on Chalkdust.

If you are looking for a math program and don't mind using from a Christian publisher then Christian Light Math would be the way to go then . It is taught like Saxon math , does bring up higher levels of math and its in workbook form and takes less time to teach . But this is the only other math program that I know of at the moment that is similar to Saxon .

Excel Math is supposedly similar to Saxon. Only $17/level and consumable, which is nice for kids who hate to write out all the problems.

http://www.excelmath.com/