Menu

Important info for TN homeschoolers.

I just received an email from my umbrella organization stating that the state is trying to pass through an amendment that will require ALL parents that are teaching 9-12 grade to have a B.A. Not just homeschoolers who are registered with the local school district but ones registered with umbrella schools as well. Has anyone else heard this?

I just received an email from my umbrella organization stating that the state is trying to pass through an amendment that will require ALL parents that are teaching 9-12 grade to have a B.A. Not just homeschoolers who are registered with the local school district but ones registered with umbrella schools as well. Has anyone else heard this?

Ah, good. That is, indeed, wonderful news. It's about time.

Then maybe we homeschoolers can hope to have a graduation rate that rivals the state graduation rate of 68.5%. That whole B.A. thing is working out reeeeeally well for them. Of course, if you happen to be African American in TN, the B.A. thing is ever so much better with the grad rate being 44%. Or we could ask the Latinos what they think. At 38% graduation rate, I'm sure they'd agree that the public school model is working out nicely. All those B.A.'s just *ensure* success. Golly. What has taken them so long to figure this one out and pass some doggone legislation? I'm going to write my congressperson this weekend and congratulate him on his superior reasoning skills should I find he's supporting this measure.

IMO, B.A.= BS. (And by BS, I mean the kind one finds in the pasture in a steaming pile, not the kind one gets for going to college for four years.)

Then maybe we homeschoolers can hope to have a graduation rate that rivals the state graduation rate of 68.5%. That whole B.A. thing is working out reeeeeally well for them. Of course, if you happen to be African American in TN, the B.A. thing is ever so much better with the grad rate being 44%. Or we could ask the Latinos what they think. At 38% graduation rate, I'm sure they'd agree that the public school model is working out nicely. All those B.A.'s just *ensure* success. Golly. What has taken them so long to figure this one out and pass some doggone legislation? I'm going to write my congressperson this weekend and congratulate him on his superior reasoning skills should I find he's supporting this measure.

IMO, B.A.= BS. (And by BS, I mean the kind one finds in the pasture in a steaming pile, not the kind one gets for going to college for four years.)

Yep, that makes about as much sense as a law once proposed in Arkansas to regulate homeschooling: If individual homeschoolers don't perform at a certain level on a norm-referenced test, they must be placed into public school.

Okay. So what about the public-schooled children who don't meet their requirements? Will they then be required to homeschool?

At my local high school, they are thrilled that the % of their students meeting or exceeding the "proficient" designation on these tests has risen above 50%. Yes, 50% of their students are "proficient". Oh, happy day!! Great job, school district!!

And people in this town actually quiz me on how I can possibly give my dc the education they will need to survive in this big world. :confused:

Oh no, no, Pam - haven't you heard??? All the truly successful school teachers have MASTERS!!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...