Menu

What have you used for 2nd grade science...

deeinfl

Please share everything that you have done for science in the 2nd grade, what worked, what didn't.

thank you...

Dee

ps I was all set to use Abeka, but just finished reading the WTM and well, it's peaked my curiosity to see what others have done. I'm also interested in doing a few lapbooks from Hands of a Child. If you've done any of those, I'd also like to know what you have enjoyed and what you thought could have waited. :)

We used My World Science this year and dd7 loved it. She is my science kid, so we often do double science. We did Botany last summer and used a number of sources, Keepers of Life, New Eyes for Plants, along with Exploring Creation with Botany (we are secular and found this easy to adapt).

We washed out on Sonlight (didn't like the Usborne books and worksheets), LLB 1 (didn't like the book rec's), and ended up sort of unschooling science at this point. We have used Home Science Adventures Microscope kit with great success, and dd has picked up her Nature Notebook by herself lately. We read some science books off and on. This year, the plan was to use Trivium Academy's lesson plans for Earth Science and Astronomy. While they are really good, we just never got into a routine, and I let it slide. Dd did a Moon lapbook I got for free from HOAC thru CurrClick's giveaway, but didn't like it. I think she's an experiment girl.

We used two spines for science this year: The Weather Book - the book itself was good, but the study guide was boring and too advanced for my 2nd grader. On the other hand, Exploring Creation through Astronomy has been EXCELLENT. We've just finished our study and we both learned a lot. He also took 8 weeks of classes at the children's science museum in a local big city. HTH

We used Christian Kids Explore Heaven and Earth last year and loved it. I think it's a great exposure for youngers, meaty without being overwhelming. Ds loves the hands-on projects/experiments. We liked to so much we've used Christian Kids Explore Chemistry this year, again with great success. One other thing I like is that it can be done in one or two days a week, which is all we can manage to fit in these days.

We used The Geography Book by Caroline Arnold, The Space Book by Robert McCrutcheon, and a few other books like The Usborne Encyclopedia of Our World.

My younger child will do The Earth Science Book with The Geography Book, aaah! I changed our K-8 science plan just this past month and this is what I have for our Earth Science year.

Sept. - Desert/Grasslands

October- Polar

November- Forests

December- Ocean/Freshwater

January- Weather: Clouds, Water Cycle, Rain

February- Weather: Atmosphere, Storms & Winds

March- Geology: Rocks & Minerals

April- Geology: Land Formations

May- Rivers, Seas and Oceans (earth science approach)

June- Natural Resources & Conservation

July- Astronomy, Solar System

August- Astronomy: Constellations

We'll read The Fairy-Land of Science by Arabella Buckley and other literary science books as they fit, possibly Madam How and Lady Why as well. I haven't created a new plan for the year since changing directions though. I just have a general idea which includes literary science, nature study, experiments and projects.

We are year-round and love science so there you have it. :001_huh: Oh and earth science will be our 1st/5th grade year, 2nd/6th will be Life Science, Vertebrates and Invertebrates. If you click on Our Science below in the signature it'll show our spreadsheet on how our science studies are laid out 1-8. Our K/4th grade year we'll be using Galloping the Globe which will use a lot of earth science as we travel around the world in our studies.

Formal science curriculum didn't go over here.

What did go over well:

Pick a science topic for the year (such as Earth Science) and then list a variety of subtopics to enjoy discovering -- which also allows for "bunny trails" and either going deep on topics of especial interest, or skipping topics of less interest. We used a mix of the following:

- library books

- library videos

- experiments out of books

- science experiment kits

- field trips

If you're interested in going this route and want ideas for specific resources (books, videos, kits, etc.), let me know. : ) BEST of luck in finding what works for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I uses Apologia Astronomy, it was not as hands on as I would have liked. However, the notebooking laid a very good foundation in terms of writing. Fulbrights books are very well written with great photos.

Julie