Menu

Selling a vacant home

I apparently fall into the opposite of "normal" on this - i PREFER an empty house. I guess that just makes an older house seem "new" to me.

So frankly, i'd prefer to see it empty! LOL!!

This house was empty - the only empty one we saw, and it was the one we bought. It was also the oldest house we looked at - built in 1973. But because it was empty we could see that they had done some upgrading to it (we missed some things - next time, check out the doors better), and it allowed us to see the space as ours.

Well, they had some old beat up table in the kitchen, i have no clue WHY, but it went out onto the porch when we moved in. Then the neighbor asked for it - cool, take it - PLEASE.

But i guess i'd have to defer to my realtor in the area, i know we aren't the norm!

I, too, prefer to see an empty house - it looks larger, for one thing, and I'd rather imagine MY stuff in the rooms than see someone else's stuff. Perhaps you could compromise and beg/borrow/rent furniture for one or two rooms - living/dining - to show how large/nice they are.

I've even seen, on HGTV shows, folks use inflatable cushions and cover them with a bedspread for an instant "bed" in a room. Or a tablecloth over a card table, with an ornament on top, for instant dining room "table".

My quickest real estate sale was on an empty home! Make sure its clean, clean clean. Fresh paint, rugs cleaned, appliances and bathroom spotless. Some nice smelling potpourri in the kitchen and bathroom will be easier than candles.

I stress on clean because when a house is empty you can really focus in on imperfections. Good luck on the sale;)

I know what the statistics. The facts of life, for me, however, are that we will be putting our home on the market completely empty. Please share ways that you've witnessed to turn an empty home into one that says, "I'm a great place to live!"

I would ask your realtor. They always have good advice about these things.

When we sold our vacant home, the selling point was the fact that it was a fixer upper. We did however, keep some of our furniture that we did not need/want there until it sold.

Is it said that full houses/lived in/etc sell better? I've never bought a home (we rent) but I know that I would much prefer to see a place empty (same deal when I look at a place to rent) ...that way, I can see the PLACE...not be all distracted by someone elses 'stuff', y'know? :)

I'm with everyone else on this one! I love seeing an empty house. When we bought our house last year, I really wanted to buy a different one - it was empty and we could see that it had just been painted and all appliances were new. Unfortunately they sold it to someone else before we had a chance to make an offer. The house we're currently in had SOOOO much furniture in it and the colors were terrible. I had a hard time seeing beyond that.

So, keep it simple and basic. Make sure it's clean!

I think people are smarter than realtors give them credit for. I looked at many houses, and I was not looking at furniture trust me. I hate the posh Mediterranean frou-frou look that is so prevalent these days. (Hope I'm not stepping on toes.)

I was looking at function, fit, care, and "how would this fit with our lifestyle?"

FIL's house sold in 3 mos flat (a miracle, truly) and it was *empty*. The paint job and carpeting that had been replaced were done by a decorating challenged relative. ICK. What sold it, I believe, was the true old beauty of the house (good bones, oak flooring) and the beauty of the setting.

YAHOO!!! Someone else - i feel so much more "normal" now :D

One thing i htought of a few minutes ago was that if you have a strange or awkward room, put something in there. There was an episode on some show last weekend - they stage the house for you, the people had a strange room that just walking thru the house, you wouldn't know it was the dining room. They put a table and chairs and stuff in there and and WOW, made a HUGE difference.

SO, if you have a space people might go, "huh?" over, make that show a purpose.

The way our living/great room is, it was easy to see the area off to the side could be an office/sitting area, so no need for furniture.

I, too, prefer to see an empty house - it looks larger, for one thing, and I'd rather imagine MY stuff in the rooms than see someone else's stuff. Perhaps you could compromise and beg/borrow/rent furniture for one or two rooms - living/dining - to show how large/nice they are.

I've even seen, on HGTV shows, folks use inflatable cushions and cover them with a bedspread for an instant "bed" in a room. Or a tablecloth over a card table, with an ornament on top, for instant dining room "table".

I know what the statistics. The facts of life, for me, however, are that we will be putting our home on the market completely empty. Please share ways that you've witnessed to turn an empty home into one that says, "I'm a great place to live!"

Empty except little touches of "hominess" here and there -- plants, pictures, etc. We sold ours in 72 hours at our "stretch" price. Patchy lawn, "great" neighborhood, some ticky-tacky wallpaper, and everything else notwithstanding. LOL

I put window boxes in the windows and flowers on the stoop. A nicer tea set in the kitchen, with a stash of great teas in the cupboard -- cause you know they're going to look in there, so you want them to say, oooh, I could live here and drink tea. Anyway, maybe not, but you do want to leave the impression of quality all through the house, so everything you place around to be inviting should be nice but not portable, IYKWIM.

Empty except little touches of "hominess" here and there -- plants, pictures, etc. I put window boxes in the windows and flowers on the stoop. A nicer tea set in the kitchen, with a stash of great teas in the cupboard -- cause you know they're going to look in there, so you want them to say, oooh, I could live here and drink tea. Anyway, maybe not, but you do want to leave the impression of quality all through the house, so everything you place around to be inviting should be nice but not portable, IYKWIM.

This is what I had in mind. Do you remember that the day I met you you were staging your house here in Columbia? :-) Well, it's almost my turn to do the same for my old house!

This is what I had in mind. Do you remember that the day I met you you were staging your house here in Columbia? :-) Well, it's almost my turn to do the same for my old house!

Yeah, I remember, except that I thought I was knee-deep in dirt and leaves the day I met you! But I guess you saw some of the stuff we had around, and it ended up being pulled together rather nicely. You almost didn't notice the patched hole in the front bedroom ceiling and the amazing 80's peeling wallpaper in the bathroom. 'Twas a miracle! :D

I like it to be empty and freshly cleaned and painted. I wouldn't hang any pictures on a wall you just had painted. As a potential buyer, I would see that as another paint job needed right away! As someone living in the Columbia area looking for a house, feel free to PM me with the size and # of bedrooms.

Yeah, I remember, except that I thought I was knee-deep in dirt and leaves the day I met you!

Yes, you guys were doing the nitty gritty yard work BUT you had begun enough of the staging for me to get a feel of where you were going with it all. The kitchen accessories looked nice, I remember the table you'd brought in for the agents to work on, the stacked boxes/plant, etc, etc. :)

My husband co-owns a rehab company and they put "props" in the house. They put bathroom rugs in the bathroom, a fake plant on the back of the toilet, a shower curtain for the shower. For the kitchen thy have a vase of fake flowers, something nice looking, a throw rug for the floor in front of the kitchen sink, colorful pump soap in bathroom and kitchen. I think that is it.

Like many others, I found the empty houses more appealing than furnished homes when we did our recent search. As for staging, make sure the indoor temperature is similar to a home being lived in. We looked at one house where the heat had been turned off, and it was about 45 degrees outside. Not homey!

Also, be sure to go in periodically and sweep/dust. Air out the house occasionally, too. One empty house we viewed smelled strongly of fireplace ashes. We wondered whether there was a problem with the ventilation and if the smell would go away when we lived there. We ruled out the house when the smell was still present on our second visit.

I know you are currently painting and working on your home, so this probably doesn't apply to you, but an empty house really does show better with consistent neutral paint colors. Finally, needed repairs really stand out in an empty home.

Most of the empty homes we looked at had little more than bathroom furnishings--towels, soap, shower curtains. Leaving a few pieces of furniture here and there actually looked contrived and wasn't enough to create a lived in look.

Yes, you guys were doing the nitty gritty yard work BUT you had begun enough of the staging for me to get a feel of where you were going with it all. The kitchen accessories looked nice, I remember the table you'd brought in for the agents to work on, the stacked boxes/plant, etc, etc. :)

Awww! How sweet. Pam, will you come do that for our townhouse. We could use it now. ;)

Good luck, Sharon. I will send good selling vibes to you, if you will send them back.

Obviously we are in a completely different market, but I believe that empty houses go for less. Like others I have some imagination to see how we can live in a house. However, I'm often surprised at the total lack of that ability in many people on real estate TV shows I have seen. People can't picture themselves living there, you need to paint a picture for them.

The best result we ever got was with "staging" our home. We paid someone to come in and furnish it. They didn't over furnish it, just put a bed and side tables in the bedrooms, suite and coffee table in the lounge, table and chairs in the dining room, table with flowers in the entrance hall, nice towels in the bathroom, artwork on the walls. People could envision themselves there, they could see how furniture would fit, there were no photos that said that it was someone elses house.

The house looked BEAUTIFUL they matched everything they put in to the colours of the walls and curtains, it looked so much nicer than it ever did when we were living there and I fully believe that it enabled us to get substantially more than we would have otherwise.

I prefer empty houses; plus, the house we sold two years ago was not only empty, but we were in a different state. But it sold!!!