Menu

Loft bed questions

We have wanted to get ds a loft bed for a long time; the bedrooms in our house are small. We decided to use some of our "rebate" check.

We found exactly what we want at Ikea, but their loft beds are a little tall (81" at the top rail). Ds's room only has an 8' ceiling, which means there'd be 15" between the top rail and the ceiling! With a 4" bunk bed mattress, he'd have a little over two feet between the mattress top and ceiling!

He insists he doesn't mind, but I think we'll have to find a shorter bed. The problem is, I really like the design of the Ikea one (we can get a desktop and shelf that hang right on the frame), and it's a great price.

Any suggestions?

That's about the space my 11yo has and it's been totally fine. Your only other option would be just shopping around. We bought our's off of craigslist, but I also considered having one custom made. I found a place online that was going to be pretty reasonable. Good luck!

They cut off about 8 inches and it worked out great.

It lowers the height of the 'ceiling' under the loft but my niece still had plenty of room to move around and sit at her desk.

The cut the legs off because my niece would move around in her sleep and hit her head on the ceiling. :001_huh:

You may be also looking at the loft bed from Ikea my daughter has. My daughter is now 15 and there is increasinly little room at the top. She keeps hitting her head. Also, changing the sheets are a huge pain in the ... since I cannot climb ladders. I have to lift the mattress from below with a broomstick to get the mattress corners up to put on new sheets. :glare:

We have an IKEA loft bed....bought it for my ds when he was 6! In that house, we had 8 foot ceilings...he didn't mind. In our current house, there is a cathedral ceiling, so it's not much of an issue....however....he outgrew the bed. (He's now 13!) So, my now 6-year old has taken it over. The one thing I have to say I have never liked about that loft bed has nothing to do with the space between his head and the ceiling, but more the space between my kiss goodnight and his face! I can't reach him. SO, when my now 6-year old moved into the loft bed, I had my dh cut off the legs a few inches so I could at least see his cute head when I kissed him good night. I'm on my tippy toes, but I'm happy. He has enough room to play under it (it's now his "fort") but it isn't tall enough for a desk underneath anymore. With that said, having the loft bed at regular height really did give us a lot of extra space in the other house. I was glad for it....but, I just didn't like not being able to see my baby asleep in his bed. :001_rolleyes:

We have the Ikea loft bed, and DS9 loves it. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. I really like how high it is, it keeps it out of eye level, creating more visual space in the room. (Plus, it's tall enough that I can stand under it too).

DS9 did have to learn how to be careful when getting up in the morning at first. He can sit fully upright, but when he moves himself over to get himself on the ladder, he's hit his back a few times on the ceiling. Now that he knows the amount of space there is, it's instinct.