Menu

What should I use for writing for an 8-year-old girl?

melissel

I'd like to start working in writing instruction for my 8-year-old--not a lot, but more than we do now. She's very verbally oriented--was dictating stories to me at 4, wrote a short "book" a few months ago, loves to read, and her mind is always on the go with scenarios and what-ifs and descriptions.

I'd love to start working on nonfiction styles, and if anyone has suggestions for helping to shape her creative writing, that would be great too. This is an area that I haven't research AT ALL thus far, so I have no idea what's out there.

TIA!

We use Writing with Ease. You might be able to start her in WWE2 - look at the samples on the Peace Hill Press website. Also, there are MP3 downloads on the site that has audio lectures about writing. I'm going to download some of those this weekend.

I have a creative writer as well. He started writing his own short stories, etc. around the same age as your daughter. I wanted to let you know from experience, whenever I tried to give him guidance on his writings, etc. It did the opposite. He would slow down on his writings. (I was killing his creativity.)

So, I just give him a little structured writing, such as WWE and IEW. I also give him lots of books to read.

When he writes a story I have told him not to worry too much about misspelled words, grammar, etc. (He had an older sister always proofreading, not a good idea). As he has learned writing structure and grammar his writings have improved.

I don't know if this helps at all, but thought I would share. I have given him tons of little blank books, which he fills up quickly.

We use Writing with Ease. You might be able to start her in WWE2 - look at the samples on the Peace Hill Press website. Also, there are MP3 downloads on the site that has audio lectures about writing. I'm going to download some of those this weekend.

I have given him tons of little blank books, which he fills up quickly.

Thank you both. We are doing WWE2 now, actually, but I guess I just feel like it's not quite enough. I'll be honest, those threads about PS on the General Board shook me hard, so I'm trying to take a hard look at some of the things that have been bothering me but that I've been pushing to the deep, dark recesses of my brain :tongue_smilie:

Raganfamily, little blank books? Please share! Do you make them yourself or buy them somewhere?

I am about to start with Writing Tales 1 this coming Monday, and it looks GREAT! It gives writing instruction (along with a little grammar, spelling, vocab), and also allows creative touches on the final draft. WWE is so easy for my ds, that I plan to do both.

I am about to start with Writing Tales 1 this coming Monday, and it looks GREAT! It gives writing instruction (along with a little grammar, spelling, vocab), and also allows creative touches on the final draft. WWE is so easy for my ds, that I plan to do both.

Maybe that's what's bugging me? WWE2 is so very easy for my DD8 that I feel like we're missing an opportunity to fill a need and a desire she's having. I'll take a look, thank you!

I also have a little girl who loves to write creatively. I thought she might need *more* as well... I considered BJU English but the more I think about it, the more I think that she will be resistant to all the revising and planning. My tentative plan is to do the writing in R&S, continue WWE across the curriculum (not the workbook), and do letter writing a bit more frequently than WTM recommends. I am also thinking of occasionally adding Karen Andreola's Story Starters for fun. Written narrations for books seem much more effective than "book reports". This seems to me to be a solid foundation in writing. The rest of her writing I'm not touching. I don't want to turn something she loves into drudgery.

ETA: Have you looked at Bravewriter's The Arrow? I looked at it briefly and it looks like fun! :) Also, you might consider Writing Strands (another WTM rec).

Edited by Robin's Song

We go through lots of blank books. That Twig Book tutorial looks sooo super cute, we'll have to make some of those too. :)

I'm also in the market for a writing program. We didn't really like WWE, so we started using Write Source. It's very public-schooly so we haven't done much of it, but after reading those public school posts (as a previous poster also mentioned) maybe we should be really focusing on that. I think we could also start something more creative though. I'm thinking of Writing Tales. I'm not real keen on WWE, I really don't want to go back to that.

My latest blog post shows two of her most recent blank books.