Menu

So mad and sad at the magnet school

This really has been the week for problems with my son's magnet school! My 3rd grader is in the school's production of High School Musical Jr. Tuesday they sent a note home saying that he needed $10 for dinner, a six pack of drinks and cookies...by today. This was not a problem for us but it could have been if we hadn't gotten our taxes in.

Then I pick him up tonight and he has another note for me which states that tickets to see the show are $5..even if you are helping out or woking the show. But they are being nice and giving each child a "complimentary" ticket to one show. I am so mad about this. What about children with two parents?

Yes, I could pay $5 for my dh to see the show but he is refusing to give these people any more money. He is going to stay home with the children. I can't even invite my family because money is tight for them. I know they had to rent the theatre for the shows but any money received above that goes to the PTA.

Any suggestions on what to say to the principal when I call her tomorrow? I don't want to sound whiney or emotional but I am MAD!! The good thing about all of this is my DH is now on board for bringing this child home next year.

I'm sorry that the school suddenly seems like everything is all about the money. Our decision to withdraw our dd from an excellent charter school came about from our frustration with many, many little things too.

No specific advice for your conversation with the principal; the challenge will be to keep it unemotional and directed on the issues for this week.

Tell the principal that you have some $ issues, and ask for free tickets. They give out free lunch, I'm sure they can spare a couple of tickets.

Sheesh.

I know how you feel--we are nickle and dimed to death at public school. We don't participate in any fundraisers. I'm not a PTA member--I call it the PiTA. They can get in some "cool" people for the assemblies-- the Yo-Yo Guy, the Jump Rope Team--but they need more money? I don't think so.

I'm not a very good public school parent.

Honestly, I would jump for joy at $5 tickets and one for free. We pay $10-20 a ticket to see anything our dc are in, and we get no free tickets. I always assume that parents will have to pay for tickets.

I think $10 for dinner is expensive, though. Surely they could get pizzas for a few dollars per child.

I think you could let the principal know your need and ask for a free ticket for your dh.

Honestly, I would jump for joy at $5 tickets and one for free. We pay $10-20 a ticket to see anything our dc are in, and we get no free tickets. I always assume that parents will have to pay for tickets.

I think $10 for dinner is expensive, though. Surely they could get pizzas for a few dollars per child.

I think you could let the principal know your need and ask for a free ticket for your dh.

:iagree: $5 would be a deal around here.

I hope your dh decides to go. He shouldn't miss out on your child's performance just because the school did a poor job communicating.

FWIW, the licensing fees for the Disney Jr musicals are very, very high (as in hundreds of dollars per performance, even for an elementary school). It is likely that they're charging admission to cover those fees. If they're renting costumes, which is common, that adds to the price dramatically. Putting on a school musical usually runs into a couple of hundred dollars even to do a small, cheap Music K-8 type one, and it can easily be thousands for Disney Jr. or Broadway Jr.

I do think they should have let you know upfront-but $5/ticket really isn't bad, and it's highly unlikely the PTA will get back even what they fronted to pay for the show.

I am sorry you are having a hard time. It does stink to have unexpected expenses.

I just wanted you to know that this is standard for productions, especially when they have to pay licensing fees. We've never been offered the one freebie (nice!), and tickets are usually more expensive, around here at least. Also, it is usually expected that people know they will have to pay for tickets. I say these things just so you'll know this is not unusual, not to say that you shouldn't be irritated.

Is your family really going to stay home while your son acts in his play?? My daughter would be heartbroken.

maybe it would help to see it as two separate issues.... the dinner money and the ticket money. $5- a ticket isn't bad at all.... $10- for dinner + drinks+cookies is a lot, an awful lot. if/when you call the principal, it might help to put it that way - $5- a ticket is great, but not after the money and stuff asked for dinner, which i'm guessing came to $15-. you could ask for a 50% refund on the money portion of the dinner, which would cover your dh's ticket. what did they have for that much?

hth,

ann

I don't think any of money they have asked for is unreasonable. But I do think it is unreasonable to ask for it all at the last minute. They knew all of this when planning the play and should have communicated it to all of the parents from the beginning.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. We were nickeled and dimed the whole time DS was in ps, and most of it I understand. The school is never making money off of this stuff. But it is the fact that they always need it TOMORROW.

I think that is what I would communicate to your principal. That it is hard to have several unexpected expenses come up at the last minute, and that it is easier if you can plan for it.

I hope your DH really doesn't stay home over $5. He should support your child, even if he is unhappy with the school.

FWIW, the licensing fees for the Disney Jr musicals are very, very high (as in hundreds of dollars per performance, even for an elementary school). It is likely that they're charging admission to cover those fees. If they're renting costumes, which is common, that adds to the price dramatically. Putting on a school musical usually runs into a couple of hundred dollars even to do a small, cheap Music K-8 type one, and it can easily be thousands for Disney Jr. or Broadway Jr.

I do think they should have let you know upfront-but $5/ticket really isn't bad, and it's highly unlikely the PTA will get back even what they fronted to pay for the show.

This is what I was going to say. They have to rent the theater and the rights to preform the musical. Musicals are VERY expensive to rent. I doubt they will make any money. They probably won't break even.

How do you expect them to pay for the costs of the production?

They have to rent the theater, buy the rights to the play, build sets, create costumes, in some cases play for a janitor and/or cop during the performance and perhaps during rehearsals, and perhaps pay a director. Even with all this there will be significant volunteer time spent on the part of parents to do costumes, sets, work backstage, take tickets, and so on.

They can get money through ticket sales, though charging each child to participate, through taxpayer funds, and through fundraisers.

Fundraisers usually involve people paying for overpriced products they wouldn't normally buy, which often ends up costing the kid's family more than just asking for the needed money. They also involve a significant investment of time on the part of the student, his parents, and whoever volunteers to do the overall organization (which is usually a substantial job).

Taxpayer funds are usually reserved for things like paying the salary of the director (if it is not directed by a volunteer). In this economy, expecting your neighbors to pay for more than the basics for your child's education seems unfair.

Charging each child a flat fee to participate might be a better approach, but it will make it harder for low-income kids to do so.

Ticket sales are a sensible way to raise the money, as it gives families the most control over how much they spend, especially with the one free ticket. Families can choose to invite a bazillion relatives, or just mom and/or dad can go. One free ticket plus $5 each after that is really the lowest you can expect to pay; many school productions are in the $10 or even $15 range. Don't even ask about dance recitals and the like, which can range from $15-$35 per ticket.

The dinner money sounds like a lot, but it's not clear from your post 1) what it includes, and 2) whether it is optional. Is it for dinner before/after one or more performances? Does it also cover dress rehearsal? Does it cover a cast party? Can you bring your own instead? For many parents, sending the money is much easier than juggling it themselves; that's probably why it's done that way.

I agree with other posters that the school should give parents a realistic sense of both money and time committments before a kid joins an activity. Did you ask about it up front? If you do, you can budget for it or skip the activity.

I would go, with your dh, enjoy the show, and be sure to thank the director and every parent who volunteered afterwards. Complement the kids on a job well done, and give them specific info on what they did well. ("I really liked the song you did in the beginning - you had a big smile on your face." "You were very brave to attempt that part, it looked hard.", etc.) Chalk it up as a lesson learned, and next time talk to the school *and* to other parents before signing up, so you know what to expect.

I do believe that ps's are often blissfully unaware of family's financial situations, and often put unnecessary burdens on them without thinking. This particular situation, however, seems within reason to me.

Honestly, I would jump for joy at $5 tickets and one for free. We pay $10-20 a ticket to see anything our dc are in, and we get no free tickets. I always assume that parents will have to pay for tickets. There are no comp tickets to any of the school shows in our area. Even DD's ballet recital tickets are $5 each... and that's to see 2-4 year olds wave at their parents & scratch their noses. Tickets for the high school musicals tend to run around $15. It's always worth the cost of the ticket, though. They have a stellar Thespian troupe.

I think $10 for dinner is expensive, though. Surely they could get pizzas for a few dollars per child. Yeah... especially if you had to send the drinks & cookies in addition to the $10. That's excessive.

Also, is it possible your DC knew about the costs upfront & forgot to tell you? I've been involved in various theater functions since before I can remember, and the company are always made aware of expenses early in the game. At what point they remember to tell their parents, however, is often an issue.

I do not feel that $5 in unreasonable, but I understand what it is like to be strapped for money. At the same time, I think any parents should have expected/known that there would be a cost for tickets. I doubt the local public is stampeding the ticket booths for a school play. The school depends on ticket sales to family in order to pay for all the things mentioned above.

Lunch was expensive, but I think that should have been addressed at that moment.

Also, I think the families involved in this production are pretty lucky. There are many places where these extras are not available at ps. Parents have to pay the whole bill for their dc to do these kinds of things. I guess you can take it as a lesson learne. I do hope that you dh doesn't decide to stay home over this. I think it would be very difficult for a child to understand, even if they say they do.

Danielle

I understand the irritation at the last minute notice, but as others have said, it is standard. Buying tickets...typical ($5 is very cheap here too). Providing $$ for a meal for the cast...typical. I assume the drinks/cookies are for preproduction days (?) other wise why would they need so many? .... typical too. If the drinks/cookies are for an after party, I am guessing they only expect a few parents to actually bring them and that is why they are asking for so much.

My guess is, that the short notice, was because to them, it was standard and not unexpected. I get irritated about these things too. I don't like it when information is assumed to be common knowledge.

I would discourage your dh from martyring himself, by not attending your son's production. If he is upset at the events, then make an effort to change the future, don't punish himself and your son. What your son will remember, is that his daddy didn't come to his show. If your son remembers the reason at all, he will remember that your dh thought it was more important to make a point (to whom?) than to be there.

If you dh does stay home, what will the benefit be? How will it affect the outcome?

For dh to make a difference, maybe he needs to put a word in with the program director, that these expenses are budgeted for some families and a notice at tryouts for the expectations would be nice in the future. Maybe he will leave a legacy of information going home in future productions. Even if they don't know the final $$ amount, they can give people a ball park or tell people the highest price they expect, and then let people be happy when it comes in lower.

Also, I think the families involved in this production are pretty lucky. There are many places where these extras are not available at ps. Parents have to pay the whole bill for their dc to do these kinds of things.

That's a good point. Even if your kids were homeschoolers, to participate in this kind of thing would involve expenses. We did a week-long "movie camp" at our house once, and even with our total DIY, volunteer approach, there was still a little money to kick in for our end-of-the-week pizza meal. Any time you're doing something in a theater, with a script you must pay for, it's going to cost the participants *something* one way or another. This experience for your son would cost *significantly* more than $15, some cookies, and a 6-pack of soda if it were done in the private sector. (Think about the cost of a summer theater camp, for example. Easily in the hundreds of dollars.) When you look at it that way, you're getting a huge bargain!

I *do* know that schools can nickle-and-dime you to the point of significant expenses, often over things that are *so* not worth it. Consider getting involved in the parent group, and dialoging with the administration, to keep costs down.

Edited by askPauline

I'd be annoyed at the last minute as well; when you've got your budget planned, even an extra $5 or $10 at the last minute can be really hard, whereas it would have been easier if they'd let you know a few weeks ago. If you ask anyone about this, ask if you're also going to be asked to chip in for a gift for the director or anything.

I don't think the $5 tickets are unreasonable (DD's ballet recital costs a lot more than that!), but that should have been disclosed earlier. Also, for people telling the OP that she should go with her husband, what's she going to do with the younger children? Either she has to pay for them to go to, which make it a lot more than just "another $5 for the DH," or she has to pay a sitter. Unfortunately, for some people, this would be out of the question and is one of the unfortunate sacrifices that has to be made in order for the participating child to participate.

ETA: And for us, asking for a six-pack of soda and some cookies would not have been unreasonable if asked for a few days earlier, but we live in the country, and with the cost of gas these days (not to mention my time), I would not be dashing out to the store to buy those items last minute! (Not to mention that $10 for dinner plus those things is a bit excessive, unless it's to cover multiple nights.) I might be able to bake some cookies (but wouldn't be pleased about the lack of notice), but I wouldn't have the soda on hand.

Edited by happypamama

All the responses have been great, and really made me think . I have been to every parent meeting about this and it was never brought up that we would be required to provide extra money or that he would miss 2 full days of school for practice. I don't mind them charging for tickets but why give one ticket when most children have 2 parents.This is odd to me. I know of at least one divorced couple that are fighting over who gets the free ticket.

As far as the play costing so much to put on..everything is donated by parents of the cast members. And the venue is the same one that my dd uses for her ballet recital and that costs every family a $20 recital fee and it is free to attend. One of pp suggested fundraising..we have sold t shirts and the school made quite a bit from this...costs for this were minimal since one parent runs the printing company.

The money for dinner was for 4 chicken nuggets and 2 bags of chips. I did hear from another parent that is will be going towards pizza for the performance nights.

I would not have minded paying for any of this if I had had notice. But I also feel that there is a mindset at this school that everyone important will be able to provide what is requested with little notice. It's like those of us who aren't rich are not considered and we are looked down upon. I didn't realize this was happening until last night when I was watching the director's body language when she was talking to people.

I would have been infuriated. If this had come up for us, we flat out wouldn't have been able to pay for the meal, let alone buy any extra tickets. If we'd known about it weeks ahead of time, we could have managed it, but not on short notice.

I'd have had some scathing words for Mr. looks-down-on-poor-families director...

:iagree: I'm paying $20 a ticket to see my kid dance in the Wizard of Oz next week. She's 6. There are up to adult/professional level dancers in the production however. This is at a private dance studio, of course.

My son attended 2 years of PS. After attending meeting after meeting of PTA/School board, I really see why the nickel/dime stuff happens. Our particular school had every penny accounted for and were needing to cut extras left and right. I do think they should have communicated this up front and offered a scholarship for kids that can't afford the extras. But I do get why this happens. I would tell the principal that this kind of thing needs to be communicated on the front end.

The expenses that pile up at the end of a season, event or production are frequently a pain. I will never forget being at a Little League end of year party (where it is customary to pay for your own child, yourself and, since he had younger siblings, their) dinner.

The absolute scorn I experienced from a Team Mom because I didn't contribue $5 for the Coach's gift was awful. It was clear she had discussed it with her friend on the team also. It was my first summer as a single mom and I was stretched beyond thin in many ways.

There are stilll many, many weeks that $10 here and $5 there would collapse our budget.

{{hugs}}

I would focus on the fact that any and all extra costs need to be clear up front when the child is auditioning in the first place. For some people this is an impossible situation and for others they could pull it off with some warning but the lack of information is wrong. I would use strong language to condem the lack of communication and ask him what he is going to do for people who can not afford this.

You need to know what you are asking for up front. Due to the lack of communication about this issue I think suggesting that every family get two free tickets is reasonable (since I think it should be free in the first place). If they couldn't afford to put the production on the kids should have fund raised or they shouldn't have done it. I think telling the principal that they should provide tickets for parents is an acceptable compromise. They still get revenue from grandparents and siblings.

Yes, what Cadam said. :D

The absolute scorn I experienced from a Team Mom because I didn't contribue $5 for the Coach's gift was awful.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

How horrid!!!

In my area we usually pass around an envelope, and each mom can put in whatever she feels she can afford and is appropriate. No one knows who put in how much, and no one feels pressured to give a certain amount. The organizer then chooses the gift based on the amount of money she gets in the envelope.

While there are folks out there like this Team Mom, there are also quite sensitive folks who would make changes if they knew there was a problem. Some folks really *don't* know that this kind of money can make or break a family. Sometimes it just takes a "heads up" to the organizer that a more sensitive approach would be appropriate. Sometimes there *is* some scholarshipping going on behind the scenes - but it's not advertised so as not to embarrass the recipients, so you wouldn't know it was there unless you asked about it. Sometimes there *is* a bring-your-own or other alternative, but again you have to ask.

I've found that talking to moms with older kids in whatever the activity is helps me to understand the commitment that we are making, and what to expect in terms of time, money, hassle, special equipment/clothes, etc.

OP, since you are in a magnet school that most likely draws folks from from quite varied socio-economic neighborhoods, the difference between rich and poor might be more than usual, so you might need to speak up that much more than in a typical neighborhood school. Hopefully, folks will be gracious and help you to find a way for your dc to participate in things that interest them.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

OP, since you are in a magnet school that most likely draws folks from from quite varied socio-economic neighborhoods, the difference between rich and poor might be more than usual, so you might need to speak up that much more than in a typical neighborhood school. Hopefully, folks will be gracious and help you to find a way for your dc to participate in things that interest them.

It was quite a shock to go from our "home" school, that has 100% reduced or free lunch, to this school where the school superintendent's children go.

I called the principal but she wasn't in today. Hopefully she can call me on Monday.

:iagree:Especially since a magnet school is often the poor man's private school. I know it was for us when my children still attended school. We looked at private schools, researched scholarship options and still the education we wanted for our children was beyond our financial reach. The magnet school was the perfect answer because the only extra cost was super early mornings and really long days.

:iagree:My DD's dance recital tickets are $20/ticket/show and there are 3 recitals this year & she might be in all of them. That's after paying almost $200/month for classes. Even if you help out by selling tickets, passing out programs, or selling cookies & flowers in the lobby at intermission, it's still $20/ticket/show. No complimentary tickets. The only way you don't have to pay is if you're a chaperon, but that's because you don't have a seat. You can sneak out during your child's number and watch from backstage. I wouldn't complain about $5 and receiving only 1 complimentary ticket. I was in theater through my school growing up and the parents never received complimentary tickets. If they wanted to see the show, they had to pay for it.

All the responses have been great, and really made me think . I have been to every parent meeting about this and it was never brought up that we would be required to provide extra money or that he would miss 2 full days of school for practice. I don't mind them charging for tickets but why give one ticket when most children have 2 parents.This is odd to me. I know of at least one divorced couple that are fighting over who gets the free ticket.

Maybe they did that so every kid will at least have one person coming to see them, no matter how tight $$ is, but they can still get some admission funds.

Veronica--

Of course, I am no judge of your financial situation, but if it were my child, I would have both parents go, unless we would absolutely not eat. You see, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for your child to be in this school play at this particular time. He may be resentful of your husband for not showing up at his once in a lifetime chance to be in the spotlight, at this particular time in his life. Yes, a school play will not be as wonderful as a Broadway production, but it will be something your child will remember to the end of his days. Do you want your son to remember that Daddy would not even shell out the $5 to see him in his glory (sorry to be so blunt)? Try not to let your anger at the school's constant requests for money get in the way of your relationship with your son. And like I said, I am in no way judging your for your financial situation. I know what it is like to be down to the last dollar. I just want you to understand that to your son, this is more than a dispute with how the school it managing its finances. This is a once in a lifetime chance to be in the spotlight (even if all he says in the play is two sentences). My Dad, who in his late 70s still talks about his role in a high school play (he was the aunt in Charley's Aunt--he went to an all male boarding school), and I remember very fondly the two musical that I was in--Finnian's Rainbow in fourth grade and Oliver! in ninth grade. And I did not have major parts in either production.

I just wanted to update since we have made some decisions about the play and then had other issues come up. My DH is going to the play. My wonderful cousin is going to keep all my children for me.

Yesterday, was the first day to drop my son off at the theatre after school. It was a zoo!! Students were running all over the place and when I asked the adult taking ticket money if there was a sign in sheet she told me that it was drop and go. When I asked if she was in charge of all these children she said the director would be there "eventually". I was unable to stay because my other children had activities to go to as well. But I was very upset.

I called the director today and she basically tells me that she is running the show this way and if I don't like it I should pull my child. She said that she has never had a problem with children leaving the theatre or someone other than a parent coming in. And if I felt my child would just walk out I could pull him out. Believe me if it was not 3 days before the show and my son didn't have his heart set on being in this play, I would pull him out. I wasn't concerned about my child walking out but more concerned about someone coming in and taking a child.

So my next step is to wait on the principal to call. But the good news is my DH is so upset about this that we are bringing both of my sons home next year!!

Edited by dakarimom5
update