Menu

Received Explore Test?

Jeanine in TX

C-MITES told us to expect the results in late March.

Since you are in the San Francisco area, and the Carnegie-Mellon based C-MITES program has test centers in Pennsylvania, could you please explain the process of getting Explore testing done through C-MITES? I would like to have my son take the Explore test, but the primary talent search serving Massachusetts is Johns Hopkins CTY, which uses the SCAT.

If there are testing centers (and not everywhere does have them...) then you can register with a talent search from another area. We're in Duke TIP territory, but wanted to start in 3rd grade when they start in 5th. So we went through CTD/ Northwestern. Same testing centers as Duke, but the fees go to CTD and the statistical reports come from them.

Since you are in the San Francisco area, and the Carnegie-Mellon based C-MITES program has test centers in Pennsylvania, could you please explain the process of getting Explore testing done through C-MITES? I would like to have my son take the Explore test, but the primary talent search serving Massachusetts is Johns Hopkins CTY, which uses the SCAT.

On the C-MITES website, there was a link to the ACT page listing all the centers offering the EXPLORE. The closest one to us was in Reno, so we combined it with a weekend trip to Lake Tahoe.

I didn't look for test sites in Massachusetts, but C-MITES does not have any geographic restrictions on which students may participate in testing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest katespeare

We were told 5-6 weeks, so last week I called ACT and was told that the test results were supposed to have been sent out Feb 22, but they were not. Originally, the young man who answered the phone was under the impression that they had already been mailed, but put me on hold and came back and said that they had not. He also indicated that next year the results would be available online.

I then emailed Duke TIP to find out when to expect the results, and received the reply that the results were going to begin being mailed this past week and next week in batches. I was given the reason of "computer problems" for the delay. Also, the email indicated that even students who tested at the same site would not necessarily receive the results at the same time.

So, long story short...late March. Sigh.

• 2 months later...
If there are testing centers (and not everywhere does have them...) then you can register with a talent search from another area. We're in Duke TIP territory, but wanted to start in 3rd grade when they start in 5th. So we went through CTD/ Northwestern. Same testing centers as Duke, but the fees go to CTD and the statistical reports come from them.

We received a packet in the mail re: Explore testing for my 4th (going to be 5th) grader. It referred to testing centers, but did not include anything as to where they were. Also it said for more info go to www.tip.duke/edu/explore, which DOES has more info about the test, but again no info about the centers. I wouldn't want to register him, only to find out THEN that there are no testing centers nearby. (we're between Orlando and Tampa)

Any ideas on how to find out where testing centers are?

On the C-MITES website, there was a link to the ACT page listing all the centers offering the EXPLORE. The closest one to us was in Reno, so we combined it with a weekend trip to Lake Tahoe.

I didn't look for test sites in Massachusetts, but C-MITES does not have any geographic restrictions on which students may participate in testing.

I will try googling this, not sure how I missed that!

:lol:

Edit: Okay so that's Pennsylvania only? Still looking!

We received a packet in the mail re: Explore testing for my 4th (going to be 5th) grader. It referred to testing centers, but did not include anything as to where they were. Also it said for more info go to www.tip.duke/edu/explore, which DOES has more info about the test, but again no info about the centers. I wouldn't want to register him, only to find out THEN that there are no testing centers nearby. (we're between Orlando and Tampa)

I don't know if you're going to be able to find out this far ahead of time... The season for talent search testing on the Explore is pretty well restricted to January and February.... If you wait for September you should be able to find out though. And since Florida is in Duke TIP's "region" I would assume there should be a fair number of testing sites!

Last year there was a test site in close proximity to Orlando (possibly in it, don't recall the precise location) because we discussed possibly combining a trip to WDW with taking the EXPLORE.