Menu

How to use BFSU?

Tsutsie

I received my copy of BFSU yesterday (and SOTW and PR) after spending a lot of time looking at various programs for my 6 year old.

I'm thrilled by the idea, method and thinking process of BFSU, but I, as a novice and a non-teacher, AM LOST!

Where do I start? How do I implement a lesson? I have so many questions, but I'm guessing that these 2 will be explanation enough for now.

I really want this program to work.

PR and SOTW seems to be more straightforward. I think I can figure those out. But BFSU is a whole other ballgame.

I really want it to work!

Any tips?

Look at the flow chart, decide what lesson you want to do after the first one, then what lesson after the second one, then what after the third one...etc. You can do this all at once, like some of us do, or just fly by the seat of your pants and decide each week which lesson you'll do next, like some others of us do. lol When you get to a lesson, make sure you have the needed supplies - it's rarely anything you won't have around the house, but occasionally you'll have to buy something. I've had to purchase magnets, balloons, and marbles. If you want to use additional books, each lesson has recommendations, so plan ahead for that. They aren't necessary, but we like them in our house. :) There's a yahoo group with different plans people have made available for other members to view, but I'm not a member, so I can't link you to it. I'm sure someone will, though. Good luck! We really enjoy BFSU, and it's much simpler than it seems when you first get the book.

This is the yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K5science/

In the files section there are samples for the order of lessons and a materials list. Those files are what make it doable for me! I just get books from the library and the supplies which have been easy to find for the first lessons. I usually reread the lesson the day before to refresh my memory.

I just recently received my copy of BFSU and flipped though and thought the same thing. I had read many great reviews on it and being that my husband and I hope to make science a big part of our children's education I figured I would go with BFSU. A preliminary look at the book a couple nights ago proved to me that this is going to be one of those programs I will have to do a decent amount of prep work for ahead of time. I think I am spoiled by some of the things like OPGTR where everything is literally spelled out for you.

I'm not saying I mind this, but being that I am only now getting into a real homeschool routine I have put BFSU on the back burner. For now. I figure I will pick up again in a few weeks or months and see how I feel. My daughter isn't quite 5 yet so I don't feel like I am delaying anything too much.

Also, members of my local homeschooling group recommended R.E.A.L Science Odyssey. They offer a free trial of their first few lessons.

http://www.pandiapress.com/real_science.htm

My kids are too little to use it yet, but I've been through with a pencil and written in any supplemental materials that seem too cool to miss. My kids are close in age too, so I'm expecting to go through twice and want to use different supplements so the eldest doesn't get bored.

When we get closer to starting, I'll also write up shopping lists- for materials and books to borrow, and stick them into the book. I think that will cut down on the fiddling around time when it comes to actually doing it. I'm also toying with the idea of putting a flow chart up on the wall so we can feel cool by marking finished lessons off. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Hi,

The Yahoo group has a supplies list as well.

You should check the FILES section on the yahoo group. They have three different possible schedules of lesson order available (including one for kindergarten), as well as a list of supplies you will need for every single lesson. It really makes it very easy!

I'm going to be using BFSU's method of mixing up the disciplines, their suggested order of building topics and as a starting point but I'm going to flesh out the topics and make them more open-and-go by using RSO with it.

Big negative to this approach is I will have to buy all three Level 1 RSO books at once but it should still take me 3 to 4 years to get through all the topics.

I say this with great hesitancy, as I am pretty much a newbie, but I am quite possibly the least planning-oriented mom on the planet and I love BFSU. I took several hours one night and typed up a spreadsheet that has the different lessons, worked out in order, broken down into their parts, along with a list of materials (I highlighted things I'll need to buy or instances in which we'll need to look at something online, etc.). We do science on Mondays, so the night before I look through that day's lessons and think about whether or not I have all the stuff; about five minutes before learning time I actually collect the stuff, and that's pretty much it.

I suppose one thing slacker thing I've done is I don't worry about the recommended books. Sometimes I pick some up from the library after the lesson is over, considering it as a review, but honestly, I haven't had the experience that most of them illuminate anything new for my son, and some of them are so simple that once one has had the lesson, they seem, well, worthless. In other subjects I lean Charlotte Mason-ward, and if I wanted to match up literature with the science lessons, I think I'd need to track down some of those so-called "living books." :)

I'm posting, despite my hesitancy, because I so often see people who are obviously leagues above me in planning ability and execution get frustrated with BFSU. Is it possible--and please, I don't mean this as a criticism, just humbly, as something that might help--that folks are overthinking this program? Or am I just underthinking it? I'm certainly open to that possibility.

My spreadsheet, I believe, is a reinvention of the wheel, and I've only filled in the details for about 1/4th of the lessons, but if people feel it might be useful I'll try to wrap it up (seriously, it should only take another hour or so) and post it to Google Docs.

I'm going to be using BFSU's method of mixing up the disciplines, their suggested order of building topics and as a starting point but I'm going to flesh out the topics and make them more open-and-go by using RSO with it.

Big negative to this approach is I will have to buy all three Level 1 RSO books at once but it should still take me 3 to 4 years to get through all the topics.

Will you post how this goes? This is such a great idea! I've been hoping they will come out with all the levels through logic stage since I want a program that discusses evolution.

I took several hours one night and typed up a spreadsheet that has the different lessons, worked out in order, broken down into their parts, along with a list of materials

I'd like to see your spreadsheet if you'd be willing to share it... or at least the part that you have done so I could get an idea.

Thanks!

Amanda

Dorothy, I think you are brilliant!

Thank you. :D (As lame as it sounds, this really gave me a boost today since I am having a truly awful week.)

Will you post how this goes? This is such a great idea! I've been hoping they will come out with all the levels through logic stage since I want a program that discusses evolution.

Thank you. I will be posting on my blog everything we do. We will be starting this after we do Continents/Cultures and Habitats. I have a spreadsheet with the order I want to cover things (which is from one of the schedules at the yahoo group) and what Units in RSO match up with which Chapters in BFSU. Since we are just starting out, I'm really hoping that the Level 2 stuff (which will include evolution) will be out before we get there. That's part of the reason I want to stick with RSO but I love the mixed disciplines idea of BFSU. I want it ALL!! :D

Hijacking a bit and I apologize, but is RSO supposed to have evolution in it in the logic stage? What about the upper levels of BFSU? Does the 3-5 gr level address it? I would *love* to have a curriculum weave this in instead of my having to do it on my own. :D

OP: I've heard the BFSU lessons are great and worth the prep..I definitely plan on taking the ahead of time and organizing the lessons in order (or using one of the files from the yahoo group) and getting all the supplies before even starting the program so if life gets crazy I don't have to stress about remembering to pick such-and-such from the store. Ordering or buying it all and putting it in its own little box will help me keep my sanity. i'm hoping to add another science in, possibly RSO or ES. I am so not a planner/organizer though. That's what SWB is for!! :tongue_smilie:

Edit: OK, just read the above post. RSO will have evolution in it?! So relieved!

Yes, RSO is supposed to cover evolution in level 2. BFSU will be avoiding the topic with all its levels. That's one of the reasons I switched.

Phroggies: Did I overthink BFSU and that is why I abandoned the program? Maybe. But you said yourself you "reinvented the wheel" and got through 1/4 of the program in your planning stages. I did hours upon hours of planning for BFSU. I read the entire book several times, and planned out extensively. We actually did 1/3 of the first book in our studies. But should a science program really require several people to "reinvent the wheel"?

I'd still love to take advantage of BFSU somehow, so I'm glad there are so many of you willing to spend time and make this easier for people who need more of a plan. I'd love to pick BFSU up again and combine it with the RSO science program we're happily using now.

So I'll share my attempts at planning BFSU. First my schedule:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AlHHF7m2_5oTdFhQVTE5YzNrSmhUYXN2UENTbHVXTVE&output=html

Then, my plans:

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AVHHF7m2_5oTZHQycDVrN180MWY0OGptN2Zx&hl=en

I'm looking forward to reading Dottie's blog posts covering the merging of BFSU and RSO!

Here's the link to the spreadsheet. I'm sure it's full of mistakes and typos; feel free to save your own copy and edit (but I don't want to know about my errors; did I mention I'm a slacker? :)). As you can see, I started listing books but stopped when I decided to stop worrying about them. But you could go through and fill that in, of course.

As I was wrapping this up, I thought a little about the over/under thinking thing. I think I am both underestimating the thinking I put into it--probably 75% of the work involved understanding the units enough to decide on an order for them--and that I am underthinking in a manner of speaking. My son really thrives on this program because of his personality; much of our development and review comes from conversations inspired by the activities (he's one of those kids that just won't stop talking), so we don't really make use of a lot of outside resources. Keeping it extremely simple and flexible appeals, obviously, to my personality. I'm not terribly worried about keeping us on a schedule; if I realize Monday morning that I've forgotten something I'm likely just to skip that week or come up with some kind of work-around. I think that wouldn't be ideal for a lot of people (it's probably not even ideal for me but it's working okay so far).

BUT I guess what I really want to say is that I wouldn't want people like myself to shy away from BFSU because of a perception of lots of prep work or complexity. I realize it's not for everyone, but I love it so much, and my son loves it so much, that I just want to convey that even slackers like me can use it with good results!

I say this with great hesitancy, as I am pretty much a newbie, but I am quite possibly the least planning-oriented mom on the planet and I love BFSU. I took several hours one night and typed up a spreadsheet that has the different lessons, worked out in order, broken down into their parts, along with a list of materials (I highlighted things I'll need to buy or instances in which we'll need to look at something online, etc.). We do science on Mondays, so the night before I look through that day's lessons and think about whether or not I have all the stuff; about five minutes before learning time I actually collect the stuff, and that's pretty much it.

I suppose one thing slacker thing I've done is I don't worry about the recommended books. Sometimes I pick some up from the library after the lesson is over, considering it as a review, but honestly, I haven't had the experience that most of them illuminate anything new for my son, and some of them are so simple that once one has had the lesson, they seem, well, worthless. In other subjects I lean Charlotte Mason-ward, and if I wanted to match up literature with the science lessons, I think I'd need to track down some of those so-called "living books." :)

I'm posting, despite my hesitancy, because I so often see people who are obviously leagues above me in planning ability and execution get frustrated with BFSU. Is it possible--and please, I don't mean this as a criticism, just humbly, as something that might help--that folks are overthinking this program? Or am I just underthinking it? I'm certainly open to that possibility.

My spreadsheet, I believe, is a reinvention of the wheel, and I've only filled in the details for about 1/4th of the lessons, but if people feel it might be useful I'll try to wrap it up (seriously, it should only take another hour or so) and post it to Google Docs.

:lol: I am laughing because you are doing way more than I am, and I thought I was a planner! I just read the lesson the day we are doing it and start teaching. My dd is only 5yo. She can get more planning out of me when she is old enough to notice I am unprepared. ;)

I started using BFSU in the fall after doing the WTM approach to life science last year. Although I love WTM and PHP materials, I remain undecided about SWB's approach to science. I wanted to try something different for science this year. I seriously considered RSO, and I think that would have worked for me. But I chose BFSU because I think Nebel's writing is so amazing, particularly the way he tries to teach serious scientific principles to kids in ways they can understand. I learn from his lessons, too, even though I'm a scientist myself.

I think I use BFSU similarly to tracymirko and phroggies. I am not a big planner. For the most part, I choose curricula I really like and just "do the next thing." For BFSU, I sketched out (in pencil) a flow for the year, skipping most of the B-thread for now since we did a lot of life science last year. We've done twelve lessons (from A, C, and D threads) so far. I read the lesson and decide what activities/discussion to do and take a few notes if I am motivated enough (about 30-60 minutes of planning per lesson, at most). We often make a mini-book, as suggested. What I love the most about it is the type of discussion we have and how they talk about the things they learn in real life. I try to use his suggestions for "seminaring" and leading them into new discoveries using Q and A. It's amazing to see how their minds work! I love how they are learning scientific principles about the world around them in ways they can understand. We do a whole lesson every two or three weeks. I'm not in a big hurry because I think the knowledge sinks in better if it's not rushed. We usually try to read a few books from the library on each topic if we can find them. I also add in appropriate episodes from Bill Nye and Beakman's World when I can.

I just bought the book a few weeks ago (a complete science curriculum for only $10 on the Kindle? SCORE!). We've only done 4 lessons so far, but my kids and I are loving it. I'm not a big planner and I don't think it requires that much prep. I read the lesson I've tagged in advance and take a few notes of what discussions I want to have and what activities I want to use to enforce those discussions. This suits us so well; my kids are not huge fans of worksheets and textbooks. So far, we've had everything we needed on hand to do the activities. I haven't used any of the supplemental reading so far, but I know my kids are understanding based on the recaps they give dad at dinner and how the new terms are cropping up in their vocabulary and other play. We love this book!