Menu

For those who use History Odyssey

robsiew

I'm looking at the Level 1 samples (Early Modern) and it doesn't look a lot different than what we're doing with SOTW3 and the AG right now. Am I correct in that assessment? (Read in SOTW, read in Usborne, summary, timeline...)

I'm thinking of Level 2 Ancients for my Logic stage child next year... for those who use this do you like it? Pros and cons? I'm looking for something that would lay out pretty much the WTM way of doing things for history/lit. in Logic stage. Thinking this would help?

I noticed in Level 2 the writing gets a bit more complicated. Does this actually teach the writing component through history (outlining, etc.) or does this curriculum assume you teach it outside of itself?

I'm looking at the Level 1 samples (Early Modern) and it doesn't look a lot different than what we're doing with SOTW3 and the AG right now. Am I correct in that assessment? (Read in SOTW, read in Usborne, summary, timeline...) I looked at level 1 for my 4th child when I started my older 3 in HO level 2, but it had far more reading than I was willing to spend with a wiggly little boy. Ds and I enjoy our time with SOTW.

I'm thinking of Level 2 Ancients for my Logic stage child next year... for those who use this do you like it? Pros and cons? I'm looking for something that would lay out pretty much the WTM way of doing things for history/lit. in Logic stage. Thinking this would help? Pro: It's independent. Con: It's independent. :tongue_smilie: It does a very good job of laying things out via WTM, although everything is much more mapped out for you. 5th graders begin with a 1 level outline, but by the 8th grade the children are doing a 4 level outline. Writing and research assignments are assigned. There are many assignments asking for a summary of the reading, or a summary of a great man or woman. The biggest issue I have with HO level 2 is that it builds dramatically between 5th grade and 8th grade. I ended up separating my children into different years because I had no time to spend adapting HO for different grades. lol, I have a child studying ancients, another medieval/renaissance, a third early modern, and my oldest is studying modern. That being said, I have no regrets about switching over to HO.

I noticed in Level 2 the writing gets a bit more complicated. Does this actually teach the writing component through history (outlining, etc.) or does this curriculum assume you teach it outside of itself? The curriculum assumes you teach it outside of the course, but it does include information on how to write a research paper, essay, biography, bibliography, etc. I use Rod and Staff with my children, and HO has reinforced/solidified their writing skills.

:D

Coffeegal...

Can I ask you a couple questions? You mentioned you use R&S with your kids...

I've been using R&S just for grammar and my 4th grader does WWE4 for writing. This combo has worked well for us.

I'm planning on continuing with R&S English in 5th grade and I'd like to use it as my sole writing program (doing both the grammar and writing lessons) with additional writing across the curriculum in science and history (a la WTM). Do you find R&S to be sufficient for writing instruction? I'd love to keep things simple and not have to find another writing curriculum. So... for writing do you use R&S and then the writing projects in HO? Are you finding that sufficient? Anything you would change or do different?

Thanks for the heads up on the different levels. Right now everyone does their own history lessons here, but we're in the same time period. Are you finding that tricky to be in different periods? I'm a little skittish about kids in different time periods, but on the other hand it's a lot of work to pull together different levels. I've considered TOG, but it's just a lot of money. I know you get a lot, but I'm trying to get as much out of my dollar as possible. I can see where in HO it would be important to be in the correct "level" because of the writing. I took a look at Early Modern Level 2 (since we're in SOTW3) to see if I could use it with my 10 y/o, but it's too much in the writing/synthesizing department. That's why I'm thinking to start him in ancients next year in 5th and just skip Modern for now. Then he'll be on track... my 3rd grader is right on track and my younger boys pretty much just read literature with me right now since we're doing American history and it's easy to find books to read to them.

Anyway... this got long... thanks for your response and I'm interested to hear more from you!

Coffeegal...

Can I ask you a couple questions? You mentioned you use R&S with your kids...

I've been using R&S just for grammar and my 4th grader does WWE4 for writing. This combo has worked well for us.

I'm planning on continuing with R&S English in 5th grade and I'd like to use it as my sole writing program (doing both the grammar and writing lessons) with additional writing across the curriculum in science and history (a la WTM). Do you find R&S to be sufficient for writing instruction? I'd love to keep things simple and not have to find another writing curriculum. So... for writing do you use R&S and then the writing projects in HO? Are you finding that sufficient? Anything you would change or do different? I've been pleased with the amount of writing the children do with HO, and the quality of instruction in R&S. I wish we'd started R&S at the beginning rather than jumping in during middle school. Also I'm ensuring that my 8 yo does the narrations with SOTW. I'm finding that SWB writing suggestions are perfect for him. :001_smile:

Thanks for the heads up on the different levels. Right now everyone does their own history lessons here, but we're in the same time period. Are you finding that tricky to be in different periods? It's actually less work for me since everything is written to the student. My middle schoolers are now comfortable with HO and are pretty independent. It took a while for them to get used to HO's format.

I'm a little skittish about kids in different time periods, but on the other hand it's a lot of work to pull together different levels. I've considered TOG, but it's just a lot of money. I keep looking and dreaming about TOG. As a matter of fact, I was considering it last weekend. When I found myself considering how to cut and paste HO to make it fit TOG, I knew changing was a bad idea. ;)

I know you get a lot, but I'm trying to get as much out of my dollar as possible. I can see where in HO it would be important to be in the correct "level" because of the writing. I took a look at Early Modern Level 2 (since we're in SOTW3) to see if I could use it with my 10 y/o, but it's too much in the writing/synthesizing department. That's why I'm thinking to start him in ancients next year in 5th and just skip Modern for now. Then he'll be on track... my 3rd grader is right on track and my younger boys pretty much just read literature with me right now since we're doing American history and it's easy to find books to read to them.When we switched, my oldest was right on track. My 2nd son repeated Medieval/Renaissance. Despite the split, it's been a good decision. We were struggling to get history done while I was pregnant with my youngest dd. Figuring the next school year wasn't going to get any easier with a newborn, I switched to HO, then discovered last spring our youngest ds was on the way. The kids have been able to keep pace with their history studies despite my chasing babies and toddlers these days.

Anyway... this got long... thanks for your response and I'm interested to hear more from you!

:001_smile: What I miss about having the children on the same time period is being able to easily suppliment their studies. I'd grab a movie about the Romans for movie night, bring home DVD's about the pyramids from the library, and strew the house with books on the subject we were studying. While dh and I discuss history with the children, it tends not to be a group discussion at the dinner table. It's easier to complete their history schoolwork these days, but it's harder to suppliment their history studies. Good luck with your decision, and feel free to ask me more questions! :D

I wanted to add... while I was thinking about TOG last week, I mentioned it to the family. My husband and oldest 3 children met me with a resounding "NO!" They like History Odyssey and don't want to switch to a different curriculum. It's just me dreaming about the green grass in the other field. :lol:

Thank you so much! This helps a lot! I'm not sure at what level you exactly started R&S with, but my older 2 are in 3rd and 4th right now and I felt comfortable enough to skip the writing and do WWE instead. I think starting in 5th is a good place... I don't have "natural writers" so we needed to take it slow. Now my older two can easily give me a page narration (not that I ask for that much) in history and they have a hard time stopping! I don't think it will take my upcoming 5th grader long to learn topic sentence and paragraph... then starting to outline. Which is where 5th grade R&S starts...

Thanks for the input on TOG... I think starting HO Level 2 in 5th is the route I'm going to take. Your input helps a lot! I can see the supplementing being hard! I tend to do those things as well (books/movies). However, if it's between difficult supplementing and history not getting done (or done well) I'll take the former!

I'm not finding many threads on History Odyssey... maybe I'm not typing in the right thing? I'm surprised... it looks great to me!

Thanks again for all your help! I appreciate your time!

Why not mix kids together in HO? We did something like that this past year. :)

I think in Level 1 that would work. It's Level 2 that gets tricky... you end up having to simplify too much for the younger set. I noticed the writing demanded in Level 2 Early Modern is quite advanced for what I'd expect from my soon to be 5th grader.

Next year I plan on doing SOTW 3 with the youngers and then expand the work for my 6th grader using HO2. I really like the writing and the way they lay it out. I got HO middle ages level 2 to start adding bits of the harder work this year so it wouldn't be such a shock. Having said that I did start TOG unit 2 and am no where near getting through the last 2 levels so we may be doing history through the summer and fall and not starting the next level until late next year.:tongue_smilie:

Next year I plan on doing SOTW 3 with the youngers and then expand the work for my 6th grader using HO2. I really like the writing and the way they lay it out. I got HO middle ages level 2 to start adding bits of the harder work this year so it wouldn't be such a shock. Having said that I did start TOG unit 2 and am no where near getting through the last 2 levels so we may be doing history through the summer and fall and not starting the next level until late next year.:tongue_smilie:

That sounds like a good plan...SOTW and HO for older one. Or maybe do grammar and logic HO and tie em together.

Another idea would be to divide your children into 2 groups. Go ahead and finished SOTW Modern next year, and then start HO Ancients the following year with your then 5th and 6th graders. Then your younger 2 children would start SOTW Ancients next year so they would be on track to do HO Ancients together as 5th and 6th graders. I'm considering doing this with my youngest 2 when they are old enough for school. :001_smile:

Another idea would be to divide your children into 2 groups. Go ahead and finished SOTW Modern next year, and then start HO Ancients the following year with your then 5th and 6th graders. Then your younger 2 children would start SOTW Ancients next year so they would be on track to do HO Ancients together as 5th and 6th graders. I'm considering doing this with my youngest 2 when they are old enough for school. :001_smile:

This is a good idea! I'm going to chew on that a bit... I know my oldest would really love modern history... thanks!

I have dd in 5th and ds in 4th both working out of HO2 Ancients. The biggest difference is I may need to help ds more with the outlines or have him write 5 sentences on a topic instead saying a paragraph. For the most part, I would look at where the reading and writing skills are for your kids, and then place them by that. If having them on the same time period is important, then do as another poster said and wait until oldest is 5th and keep the two together. By having these two together and the oldest in HO3 Ancients, I keep mine mostly together.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna' try to refresh this thread because I am curious with the writing. I am seriously thinking of HO2 for 7th grader in fall who is not a strong writer, heck we hardly do any of it so he and I both need some work.

Does the program actually delve into how to write or just give you the topic and expect you already have a student that knows how to do the writing?

Gonna' try to refresh this thread because I am curious with the writing. I am seriously thinking of HO2 for 7th grader in fall who is not a strong writer, heck we hardly do any of it so he and I both need some work.

Does the program actually delve into how to write or just give you the topic and expect you already have a student that knows how to do the writing?

They include an explaination in the appropriate level appendix on how to write reports, biographies, essays, and thesis papers but expect you to be using a writing program to actually teach writing. Ancients begins by introducing the children to writing summary paragraphs, one level outlines, and short reports. It does not include any essays and thesis papers, and would be my recommendation for beginning with a reluctant writer in the 7th grade. Medieval includes some reports, and has a section on writing biographies in the appendix. Early Modern introduces essays, and Modern continues to assign essays, research papers, and a year long research paper. I, personally, would be comfortable using Early Modern and Modern for 9th and 10th grade in high school. You could then finish off with the level 3 Ancients and Medieval for 11th and 12th grades.

The Pandia Press includes a try before you buy section, and a FAQ area you can check out as well. :001_smile:

They include an explaination in the appropriate level appendix on how to write reports, biographies, essays, and thesis papers but expect you to be using a writing program to actually teach writing. Ancients begins by introducing the children to writing summary paragraphs, one level outlines, and short reports. It does not include any essays and thesis papers, and would be my recommendation for beginning with a reluctant writer in the 7th grade. Medieval includes some reports, and has a section on writing biographies in the appendix. Early Modern introduces essays, and Modern continues to assign essays, research papers, and a year long research paper. I, personally, would be comfortable using Early Modern and Modern for 9th and 10th grade in high school. You could then finish off with the level 3 Ancients and Medieval for 11th and 12th grades.

The Pandia Press includes a try before you buy section, and a FAQ area you can check out as well. :001_smile:

Much appreciated coffeegal! I will do some rethinking of this venture.