Menu

Which Killgallon books do I need?

As far as I can tell, all of them are applied grammar/sentence writing.

My DD did Story Grammar for Elementary School last year and is currently working her way through Grammar for Middle School. The books have similar types of exercises but Grammar for Middle School has the proper grammatical terminology. In SG, Killgallon uses terms like "openers", "closers", and "S-V splits" while in GfMS, he calls them by their actual names (opening adjectives, participial phrases, appositives, etc.)

Well, I just put the Sentence Composing and Story Grammar for Elementary and the Sentence Composing and Grammar for Middle School into my cart on Amazon. I like the samples for all of them and can't decide. Even if I can't use the elementary ones with dd11 I could use them for my younger dc.

I'm going to see if Grandma wants to treat us to some fun new schoolbooks.:tongue_smilie:(To bad amazon doesn't have Paragraph Town.;))

CrimsonWife, thanks for responding. You didn't mention that you are using the Sentence Composing books; do you feel doing the SC along with the grammar books would be too much\too redundant?

You didn't mention that you are using the Sentence Composing books; do you feel doing the SC along with the grammar books would be too much\too redundant?

I initially chose Story Grammar over Sentence Composing for Elementary because I thought from the title it would have more of a grammar focus and that's what I was looking for at the time. After completing SG and MCT "town", I felt that Grammar for Middle School rather than the elementary SC book would be a more appropriate challenge level.

My plan for my younger kids is FLL 1/2 -> MCT "island" -> Killgallon SC for Elementary -> MCT "town" -> Killgallon SG and/or GfMS -> MCT "voyage".

I initially chose Story Grammar over Sentence Composing for Elementary because I thought from the title it would have more of a grammar focus and that's what I was looking for at the time. After completing SG and MCT "town", I felt that Grammar for Middle School rather than the elementary SC book would be a more appropriate challenge level.

My plan for my younger kids is FLL 1/2 -> MCT "island" -> Killgallon SC for Elementary -> MCT "town" -> Killgallon SG and/or GfMS -> MCT "voyage".

when you talk about MCT are you talking about using all the books for each level?

when you talk about MCT are you talking about using all the books for each level?

Not necessarily 100% of the components (I have heard mixed reviews of the "island" level poetry & vocab and I probably will skip the "voyage" level poetry) but at minimum the grammar/practice/writing books.

In terms of the Killgallon books, Sentence Composing for Elementary appears from my previews to be the easiest, so that is what I'm planning to start my younger kids on. My DS is only on FLL 1, however, so it's going to be a few years :)

We started Sentence Composing for Elementary School a few weeks ago. I think dd10 is *hopefully* getting more out of it because of the grammar background she has. (She's been using ABeka and has resisted all my efforts to switch to something else.) Though we could have gone for the middle school level, I think the elementary level is still worthwhile for us. Since she dislikes writing in general, I do all the exercises along with her, and I think it's good for me, too. An older dd who was listening in to us asked if what I was reading was a model from a literature selection, and I had to say, "No, that's mine." :D