Menu

Tell me about Time Travelers History

parias1126

I have a 7 and 8 year old. I noticed the New World Explorers said third grade as a minimum grade? Would my 7 year old DS be disappointed or not be able to follow along the way I would want him to? Can someone please go into some detail explaining exactly what it consists of, some of the projects, etc.? Is it very teacher intensive as far as the initial set up? What about prior to each lesson?

I have a 7 and 8 year old. I noticed the New World Explorers said third grade as a minimum grade? Would my 7 year old DS be disappointed or not be able to follow along the way I would want him to? Can someone please go into some detail explaining exactly what it consists of, some of the projects, etc.? Is it very teacher intensive as far as the initial set up? What about prior to each lesson?

Do you know that you can download an entire lesson on their website for free?

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/TTS/NewWorldExplorers.htm

These are wonderful and have something for everyone and every age. I have used parts of several of them (they can be done completely or in part) and a friend did the complete lapbooks as a family. One child did this part and one child did that, etc. They were beautiful. There are so many different crafts to and games to choose from, and the level of information is perfect for the ages you have.

Teacher intensive? Well, you have to print the things out and give them instructions for many of the contents crafts/activities/games, but none of it is complicated.

The website has a list of all the activities and crafts and I recommend you download the sample lesson and see how they work. I do love this company and she makes excellent products.

We did Colonial and mine were close in age to your dc. I think you could easily age adjust. The reading content is not overly complicated and it is high interest IMO so that makes it great for youngers too. There are lots of crafty/visual projects that are great and easily adapted as well. We had no problems and it stands out as one of most interesting units we've ever done. As a previous poster said, be sure to check out the sample downloads. Hope this helps! :)

I used this as a supplement to SL 3+4 with my 8 and 9 year old. It does require a lot of prep work from the teacher. WP offers a teacher and student supply kit for it that made it a lot easier. It was a little pricey, but I knew we'd never get around to doing it if it were up to me. I think that a 7 year old would have no problems. We had a lot of fun with some of it.

• 1 year later...
I used this as a supplement to SL 3+4 with my 8 and 9 year old. It does require a lot of prep work from the teacher. WP offers a teacher and student supply kit for it that made it a lot easier. It was a little pricey, but I knew we'd never get around to doing it if it were up to me. I think that a 7 year old would have no problems. We had a lot of fun with some of it.

Bolded: Does anyone know if these are still available and where to find them? I haven't been able to located on the website. Thanks!

Bolded: Does anyone know if these are still available and where to find them? I haven't been able to located on the website. Thanks!

If you go to this link go half way down the page. I also noticed they say they have additional student kits for extra students. I don't see a price so you would have to call. It seems to me back a few years those ran about $60, but I could be way off.

http://www.winterpromise.net/product_info.php?cPath=21_77&products_id=888

Edited by woolybear
forgot the link

If you go to this link go half way down the page. I also noticed they say they have additional student kits for extra students. I don't see a price so you would have to call. It seems to me back a few years those ran about $60, but I could be way off.

http://www.winterpromise.net/product_info.php?cPath=21_77&products_id=888

Thank you. The price at the bottom of the page says $149. I couldn't find the info anywhere, so thanks for the link.:001_smile:

I have a good friend who did Explorers, Colonial Life, and American Revolution with her kids when they were 3rd & 4th grade. After looking at what they did, I would agree that as written, this is a curriculum best for 3rd-8th grade. There was a LOT of writing involved.

However, I think it could be easily adapted for younger children.

Yes, there is a lot of teacher prep. I am planning to do part of Explorers, and all of Colonial Life and American Revolution next year with my kids - they'll be 5th grade & 3rd grade. I plan to do all of the prep that I can over the summer before we begin our school year, so I can just pull them out when we get to each lesson.