Menu

Anyone have a fantastic online writing course to recommend?

My kids are in 7th, and will likely go to high school year after next. I'd like to spend 8th grade whipping their writing skills into excellent shape before they head off - right now I feel like they're lagging a bit behind their other skills in this area. I have good writing skills and thought I could do it myself, but they don't take feedback from me well, and also don't respect my deadlines. I'm not seeing either the quantity or quality of work I'd like.

I'm considering a tutor, but would also consider an online class. But I've heard such mixed reviews of these - I'd want one that offered lots of feedback and support for the students.

Has anyone had their kid take an online class they (and you) have loved?

Have you looked into Veritas Press Scholars Academy? We have taken several excellent live online courses through them. They offer composition and fictional writing classes based on Excellence in Writing. The instructors are very helpful and give lots of feedback to the students and progress reports to the parents.

We really liked the Bravewriter kidswrite intermediate (I did this only with my younger dd who needed more instruction), expository essay and research paper(both dds) courses for around 8th/9th grade.

The courses are of short duration so enthusiasm doesn't have too much chance to evaporate.

Instruction is online with a message board and the students get to see each other's writing and the comments of the instructor -- which are (imho) always affirming but pointing the way to improvement.

Hth

~Moira

We did not have good luck with Veritas Press' Scholars Online. My son only had two papers seen by the teacher by the end of the first semester. The rest of his assignments were posted online a supposed to be critiqued by other students. This did not help improve his writing at all.

We are getting good feedback from Write Guide

The writing process moves a little slowly, but I've found that if I ask the tutor to move on, they are willing to do so. Excellent feedback on both content and details.