Menu

What do/did you use as a spine for Middle Ages study?

We are going to study middle ages next year (7th grade). I got a list going for all the historical fictions and biographies we can use, but I couldn't find a spine. This year we use Usborne Encyclopedia of the Ancient World as our spine and that has worked well. But I can't find a similar book for the middle ages.

Anyone has any suggestions? BTW, we already own STOW and Kingfisher History Encyclopedia.

We are going to study middle ages next year (7th grade). I got a list going for all the historical fictions and biographies we can use, but I couldn't find a spine. This year we use Usborne Encyclopedia of the Ancient World as our spine and that has worked well. But I can't find a similar book for the middle ages.

Anyone has any suggestions? BTW, we already own STOW and Kingfisher History Encyclopedia.

What about using SWB's The History of the Medieval World? You would need to screen parts of it for your young student, but there's plenty there for you. I'd be inclined to use that along with Kingfisher and possibly The Story of Europe by H.E. Marshall for a good variety of historical viewpoints. One other source is another Marshall book, Our Island Story.

We are doing the middle ages right now ourselves and are using both Marshall books, plus SOTW and Famous Men of the Middle Ages in audio format as a read aloud. (The link goes to LibriVox where you can get a free download of the entire works.)

With TOG we use other books too, but these are primary texts for history. It should be lots of fun for you next year. Enjoy!

Blessings,

Lucinda

We've been using SOTW and The Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of World History with an occasional pass through the old Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World (which is now a reasonable price used on Amazon).

When we get our middle ages books out of storage I'm planning to also use The Middle Ages: A Watts Guide.

We'll be using the second volume of K12's Human Odyssey. I scored a reasonably priced copy on amazon last week :D

The Human Odyssey looks really good, I'll have to see if I can get a copy. But from Amazon's page, middle ages is covered in volume one instead of volume 2 as you mentioned? Am I wrong?

What about using SWB's The History of the Medieval World? You would need to screen parts of it for your young student, but there's plenty there for you. I'd be inclined to use that along with Kingfisher and possibly The Story of Europe by H.E. Marshall for a good variety of historical viewpoints. One other source is another Marshall book, Our Island Story.

Blessings,

Lucinda

The only complaint I have on SWB's The History of the Medieval World is that it does not have beautiful pictures like the Usborne books do. I might end up combining it with Usborne Medieval World so I can balance the text and pictures.

Thank you for mentioning Famous Men of the Middle Ages, I forgot to put that one on my list.

The Human Odyssey looks really good, I'll have to see if I can get a copy. But from Amazon's page, middle ages is covered in volume one instead of volume 2 as you mentioned? Am I wrong?

The first volume covers prehistory to about 1400, the second 1400-1914. I don't think of time periods like a strict WTMer, sorry :D

I find volume 1 to be an amazing history text for middle schooler. Colorful yet not visually distracting, full of great maps in the chapter, no annoying review questions or "what do you think?" type sidebars. We really enjoy our history each morning---reading, discussing, looking for even more library books, searching online etc. :001_smile:

I'm thinking we're going to use Oxford University Press' set: The Medieval and Early Modern World. There's been quite a bit of talk on these as of late if your'e looking for reviews.

We're using these now (with Human Odyssey vol1) as we've just moved into the 300-400ADish era. So far these volumes are just as good as the earlier-era Oxford Press The World in Ancient Times series.

Well, you're studying a much smaller period of time, so I'm guessing that's why it has fewer pages than something like the Ancients level book.

We just use our encyclopedias as an introduction for the week and then read from many other books on particular topics. If you're using this as your main history reading source, then I would go with something that has more detail, such as SWB's Medievel World, as someone else mentioned. Even the Kingfisher encyclopedias contain more info than the Usborne book, I think....

Well, you're studying a much smaller period of time, so I'm guessing that's why it has fewer pages than something like the Ancients level book.

We just use our encyclopedias as an introduction for the week and then read from many other books on particular topics. If you're using this as your main history reading source, then I would go with something that has more detail, such as SWB's Medievel World, as someone else mentioned. Even the Kingfisher encyclopedias contain more info than the Usborne book, I think....

I believe you are refering to a different book. Usborne has a encyclopedia of the ancient world with a lot more detail than what is in their history encyclopedia. I think that's what the OP is refering to. I don't think they have a similar large one for the Middle Ages.

I hope this makes sense.

Susie

We're using Renaissance and Reformation Times by Dorothy Mills and love it. I would recommend her book entitled The Middle Ages. I think this series is perfect for ages 11+. I love that my dd gets to keep the narrative aspect that she loves, and that established her love of history in the first place, but the depth of information as well as the level of reading increased. Dorothy Mills also includes the social and cultural aspects of the societies being studied, which is also of greater interest to dd. I love this too, since it makes integrating other subjects that much easier. This week we are reading more about the French during the reign of Francis I (primarily) and I have been able to integrate French architecture such as the building of Chateau of Chambord, the Louvre, and more. We will also read one essay each by Rabelais and Montaigne. The French poets Bellay and Ronsard will be studied using our Introduction to French Poetry A Dual-Language Book. All of these names are introduced in Renaissance and Reformation Times. It was so easy to pull from other books to bring around a study that included art, literature, poetry, French and writing.

We're using Renaissance and Reformation Times by Dorothy Mills and love it. I would recommend her book entitled The Middle Ages. I think this series is perfect for ages 11+. I love that my dd gets to keep the narrative aspect that she loves, and that established her love of history in the first place, but the depth of information as well as the level of reading increased. Dorothy Mills also includes the social and cultural aspects of the societies being studied, which is also of greater interest to dd. I love this too, since it makes integrating other subjects that much easier. This week we are reading more about the French during the reign of Francis I (primarily) and I have been able to integrate French architecture such as the building of Chateau of Chambord, the Louvre, and more. We will also read one essay each by Rabelais and Montaigne. The French poets Bellay and Ronsard will be studied using our Introduction to French Poetry A Dual-Language Book. All of these names are introduced in Renaissance and Reformation Times. It was so easy to pull from other books to bring around a study that included art, literature, poetry, French and writing.

This sounds good. I reserved a copy from my library. Thanks.

We're using The Discovery of New Worlds by M.B. Synge. I really like it. I find the Usborne book to be a bit light. Not sure if I have the same one, though. I also use Famous Men, and Story of the Middle Ages (very biased in parts, but also good historical information). I think I wouldn't necessarily consider any one of these alone a spine, but taken together they balance nicely.