Menu

CLE placement test results in. SO depressing

oleladyintheshoe

So, after pouring over LA for my to be 1st and 5th grader, I finally decided on CLE. No prob for the 1st grader. But I wasn't sure where to put the 5th'er so I had her take the placement test today. WOW. There were major problems starting with 100.

I pulled them out 2 days into this school year and began homeschooling. I had homeschooled my oldest 2 for 6 years, no biggie. This year I had her reading and narrating/ dictating, journal about an event that occurred on "this" day in history, and spelling. Grammer consisted of noun, verb, adjective, adverb. We also did a few very basic topics occassionally like homophones and subject/ predicate. That's it. That's all!! And apparently she had ZERO grammer in PS.

So, here we are and I want to get rolling on CLE LA next year for them both and just stay there for the duration but IDK where to start. She knew a majority of 100 but some of it was utterly foreign, even to me, I'm ashamed to say. I mean, I don't know all those weird squiggly and dotty things over upside down letters. We used Teach Your Child...100 Easy Lessons. Consanant blends, digraphs, we haven't a clue. But she did know at least half, if not more than, of each level up until 500, at which point I stopped. I can't imagine starting my *bright* 5th grader in level 100. And, even if I got past that, how do you ever catch up???

Can someone offer me any possible solutions...........

Gosh - I am so sorry. I did back my middle one up in LA. But, not that much. I think that you could just back up a little (maybe 2 grades?) and teach the information as you go. You can easily just do the new part and some of the review daily until up to speed and then slow down. You could probably do 2-3 lessons in a day then. Work through the summer and maybe a lesson on Sat?? I wouldn't worry too much about all the symbols and pronunciation's. There isn't much of that past the 2nd grade books. In fact, I don't remember any in the 3rd, but that was a long time ago. The diagramming is easy to catch up with also.

I wouldn't stress. It is a wonderful program, though. My kids like it a lot and it is nice that is all inclusive. We do supplement writing, but otherwise it's great.

Oh, thank goodness. So maybe I could at least jump to 300 and possibly 400, that's what y'all are saying, right? I have no problem doing more than 1 lesson a day. My daughter is a really fast learner.

Whew! Thank y'all so much. I already feel less stress. I couldn't imagine how to ever catch up staring 4 levels behind.

Yea - I would say mid 3rd or 4th. Remember you don't have to get the whole level - you can buy an individual LU. I started my son in the mid 6th after never having done it. He is very bright and catches on quickly. It was challenging at first, but he quickly got it! I backed my middle one up to 301 when he was at the end of 3rd. He is now going to be done with 600 in May - on time. I am not one to want them to be "behind" - whatever that means, but CLE is pretty solid and probably a little ahead 'normal'. So, it didn't bother me and we caught up - using the summer, though!! And, really no skipping many days. However, I never did 2 lessons and still caught up!