Menu

American history ideas??

clarkacademy

If you are planning on studying from: The exploration up to 1850 for American History What lapbooks or notebooking pages would everyone recomend? Anyone who has done this I will happily accept ideas as well. Websites, movies etc. We will also be studying geography of America the presidents and inventors. Again all based on the history of the US. I love Guest Hollow sadly I do not have access to most of the books she uses and it would be a fortune to buy them. I live in a tiny town and needless to say my library is just sad. How sad you ask well they only have 1 Harry Potter book and as for movies well that is sad too. LOL So any help would be appreciated!

We are using Homeschool in the Woods along with History Pockets Explorers, and Interactive 3D Maps: American History. We're using these, along with read-alouds, to create a notebook of "Early Explorers of North America". They work well together for this.

You might also check Hands of A Child. They have lapbook kits that look really good. I haven't used them yet, but I picked up a couple to use with our next study (Native Americans). Although, I tend to put things like this into a notebook, rather than file folder "books".

I found some Horrible Histories video clips. I'm sure my ds would love them, but we already have issues with "bathroom humor" and the like so I haven't shown them to him. Here's the link if you'd like to check them out to see what you think.

I've never read any of the books so I can't comment on those.

Homeschool in the woods time traveler cd roms.

I can't recommend these enough! We've done the Colonial, Revolutionary Way, and are finishing up the Early 19th Century soon.

Brittney! Thank you SO MUCH for providing the link to homeschoolinthewoods!! I've been on their site all morning printing out the lesson plan schedule for 4 of their American History series and I AM SOOOOOO EXCITED for next year to hurry and get here! Seriously...my boys are going to LOVE this. And it really coincides with Classical Conversations Cycle 3 perfectly!

Thank you thank you!!!

My son absolutely ADORES the horrible histories and horrible science books, but unfortunately he does not love the American history ones. They are written by a different person and are a little different and he doesn't enjoy them as much. If your child had never read any of the other ones, it might not annoy him/her so much, but my son didn't want to read it and he reads ALL of the books several times.