Menu

Pre-college summer programs?

Has anybody here sent their high schoolers to one of those pre-college summer programs? My 15 yo (16 in April) is interested in attending one at Catholic U that focuses on engineering careers. For the last two years his interests were in economics/business but now he's toying with engineering. He'd stay on campus for a week, learn about different types of engineering, listen to speakers, do projects, get tours of the campus and fun stuff too like tours of DC (we live right outside it so that's no biggie for him), attend sporting events, etc.

It's look promising. I'm wondering if others have had experiences with similar programs?

Thanks.

Has anybody here sent their high schoolers to one of those pre-college summer programs? My 15 yo (16 in April) is interested in attending one at Catholic U that focuses on engineering careers. For the last two years his interests were in economics/business but now he's toying with engineering. He'd stay on campus for a week, learn about different types of engineering, listen to speakers, do projects, get tours of the campus and fun stuff too like tours of DC (we live right outside it so that's no biggie for him), attend sporting events, etc.

It's look promising. I'm wondering if others have had experiences with similar programs?

Thanks.

I wonder if George Mason does anything similar. We're just down the road from GMU now and I'm really excited because I have a high opinion of their econ department.

USNA has a STEM camp for rising 8th - 11th graders and a Summer Seminar for rising seniors. The applications for the STEM camp are open right now.

I was just checking out GMU as they are close to us as well. However, they don't seem to have quite the same type of program. They do hold summer camps for high schoolers. I was interested in the writing project, however, that conflicts with the Catholic Univ one, wouldn't you know. . . .

My 2nd did summer seminars at USAFA, USNA and USCGA. She also did two two-week-long classes overseas with Hillsdale College--one on WWII and Churchill and one on Rome. Dd#3 is doing USMA's summer seminar and is hoping for Navy's--haven't heard yet. She also did a sports camp at AFA. Ds is doing the WWII and Churchill trip that his older sister did.

A week+ in Rome sounds wonderful. I wonder if they need chaperones?