Menu

What is the Great Schools Ranking of Your Local PS Elementary School?

What is the Great School Rank?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is the Great School Rank?

• 1-2
    • N/A

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our elementary school is a 10, middle is a 9, and high school is a 6.

I'm curious as to what constitutes a 10 school as all the elementary ones around me are 10s; however, I hear so many complaints from parents about these schools. Be it administration issues, overcrowding, teaching to the test, lack of following an IEP, teachers not meeting the needs of the smart children, etc. Most of these schools have a high level of parental involvement, yet I hope that is not what helps them get their high ranking. A well-organized PTO/PTA isn't educating the children.

I am curious, too, about what standards are used to deem schools "great." Our school is rated 10 - but 72% of graduates take remedial classes in college. That doesn't sound like a "ten" school to me. :glare:

According to the web site, the rankings are based upon standardized test scores that are reported to them by the states.

Perhaps the disparity between the ranking and the percentage of students that must remediate reflects the difference between teaching someone to take a test and teaching someone how to learn and implement what they know in a variety of situations.

This goes to show why this score means nothing! My elementary through high school are ranked 7,9, and 8. Absolutely outstanding on paper! Blue ribbon schools. Ranked high as you can see! :D

The lack of education is appalling. These same high scoring schools produce students that can't understand what they read, can't figure math without a calculator and can't pass a multiple choice tests much less write a paper. The school down the street ranked as high as the awesome magnet school . Neither produce a much better product.

All those pretty learning centers, exhaustive activities, newest technology, has only produced a dismal failure. Kids who can't count change, can't read the menu and need pictures to order. Kids who get into college because the state regulates the SAT admission so the majority of public school kids can attend. Otherwise, most of them wouldn't be able to attend their own public university.

The rank isn't a tell all.

Grades

PK-2: 9

3-5: 10

6-8: 10

9-12: 9

My youngest thrived during my kids short time in public school here. She would probably thrive anywhere. My son does better at home though, and I really like the freedom homeschooling allows.

We live in a VERY small town known (in this area) for its great schools. I know several families who pay out of area tuition and drive their kids from 30-40 miles away to attend the local high school.

The schools in my area rank 7-10 with most being 8-9. One of the high schools is a 10. Not sure what the green shields are, but some have those...

The school my kids did attend for a couple years is a 10. I used to teach in that school and I'm guessing the ratings are based on test scores as I know the school they attended had the highest test scores in the district. It is a highly sought after school as you can only get in by lottery. The parents are highly involved both inside and out of the classroom ...and to think we pulled our kids out! :D (Really, it is a great school!)

Where does one find out how one's state ranks? Is that on the same site?

Good luck wading through the Nation's Report Card, I guess they aren't just going to come right out and say, State X sucks. Or maybe they do and I just couldn't find it.?

I just googled and came up with this, not quite sure exactly what they mean by "best educated". For something simple but more current, everything I found wanted $. I hope someone else has a good link for this info.

There are numerous schools that rate a "10" in my city:

Cassidy Elementary School - in the swanky part of town; only the rich and famous may attend, in general. Their middle school and high school will also rank high, I'm sure.... But my child may not attend there....

Clays Mill Elementary School - I'm surprised by this one and by the middle school listed right below it....

Jessie M Clark Middle School

Maxwell Spanish Immersion Elementary School - again, many parents from wealthier families put their children in the immersion program and the school's overall test results are raised because they are there. This school is in a poorer part of town and the general population of the school does not score well....

Meadowthorpe Elementary School - the gifted program is housed here. Again, the general population does not do as well as the special population - and that is true for most of our schools here. Dunbar high has a gifted math and science pod. They have terrific math and science scores because of them - but they serve less than a hundred kids out of a total population of more than 2000....

I would not give any of these schools a score of "10".....

That's where I grew up! I think I had a very good education and I went to the same middle and high schools that Cassidy feeds into. I'll have to go check what my old school's grade is.

My kids' school (in a different state) is an 8. I think it deserves the 8 but that they will be scoring much lower soon because of all the cuts the state and county are making due to a budget crisis. They were much better even 2 years ago.

The school my sons would attend ranked a 9. Now, I don't know how they get these numbers, but I can tell you that, since my son spent 3 years attending that school before I pulled him out, that a "9" is total and utter b*llsh*t! He came of out of that school having never learned phonics, never learned to spell, and they were requesting to test him for GIFTEDNESS! If that was gifted, what was a struggling student? I also worked in that school as a sub and a volunteer and I can 100% say that all they did was teach to the "test" - the standardized test, that is. They stopped all instruction in Jan and drilled the kids ad nauseum for "the test" until April. They kids took the test and got out of school in May. If that is a "9," I'd hate to see a "3!"

Bill, does your elementary school have a web site that might tell us more about what they are doing/ using?

Don't know if that would be inappropriate to ask. I'm just curious about what a 10 school looks like.

The school website would not tell you anything. And the curriculum is nothing "special" and no different that what the rest of the LAUSD uses. In fact there are some programs, like the "Open Court" reading program that most district schools do use that our teachers "pretend" to use. Instead most teachers (and they share resources on grade level) have essentially created their own curriculum that insulates them (and the children) from the wild swings of the district choices.

We have better choices IMO as home educators than the school has.

Bill

the school our kids would go to is rated a 9, both elementary and high school.

I looked at the schools I went to, and both are rated a 9.

I find it all very interesting.

I know our local schools are supposed to be terrific. I just looked at the homework of a friend's 2nd grader and I was flabergasted. My K'er could do it. The complaint at church is that the kids can't read til end of 1st grade, except for the homeschoolers, who can consistantly read by mid-year of K. I don't know, I just wonder how these highly rated schools get their ratings when I see what I see.

That's good to know! I imagine seeing that ranking was very reassuring. :001_smile:

I apologize for the mistake. For some reason I thought your son was attending a private school (first grade?), but maybe I'm confusing that with the preschool he attended?

No problem. His nursery school was a non-profit co-op that used a publicly owned space.

As to the rank, it is better than a kick in the head, but I trust my eyes (and my wife's, as she is very involved at the school). And we still feel a need (and desire) to "supplement" my son's education. A "10" is relative. A great deal goes on in his school. They do things it would be difficult to replicate. We do things they can't match and aim for a more WTM like ideal than what one finds in even 10 rated public schools. It is a very "relative" grade, if you know what I mean?

Bill

:lol::lol: Our school ranked an 8. I haven't read any other posts but that 8 tells me this website is not even close. My dd went back in 5th grade and the students didn't have down their basic multiplication and division skills. I asked one of the 5th grade teachers the other day what they were working on and he said they were adding and subtracting mixed numbers.:001_huh: My 3rd grader is doing that.

ETA: I also checked our middle (9) and high school (10).

Edited by Horton

No, someone look it it up for me the other day, I was sure that you had to be above at least 2 of the 3 of Arkansas, Louisana, and Mississippi, and AZ was actually 42! I am not sure where that 49 number is coming from.

(Although 42 is nothing to write home about.)

http://www.arizonaea.org/profiles.php?page=32

Apparently 2008. I hear this statistic batted about at least twice a month so I think officials and residents are still smarting :tongue_smilie: Digging a little, I found we've actually pulled it out since then and we're all the way up to 45!

Barb

Ours was a 4--a brand new shiny school I have to drive by to go anywhere, complete w/ spiraly slides you can see from the car. :glare: Not that the kids want to go there...and, er, not that I like to slide *myself,* lol....

This is the most encouraging thread I think I've ever read here. It puts solid statistics behind what dh has been telling me all along. :001_smile:

ETA: This is the nicest school we've ever lived near. And they offer NO music, choir, art, etc. I mean, you know, the basics that you see in all the pretty elem pics.

They are evidently based on the results of State test scores, for what that is worth.

Bill

Okay, then I get why the schools here ranked so well. We moved to this county because we had heard it was the best in the state. They meant the best at taking the FCAT I guess. I know this district does so well because they seriously "teach to the test". The majority of the kids' homework in on FCAT Explorer (or some such FCAT website). They already had them doing FCAT prep when my dd was in 1st grade and the FCAT doesn't start until 3rd.

Okay, then I get why the schools here ranked so well. We moved to this county because we had heard it was the best in the state. They meant the best at taking the FCAT I guess. I know this district does so well because they seriously "teach to the test". The majority of the kids' homework in on FCAT Explorer (or some such FCAT website). They already had them doing FCAT prep when my dd was in 1st grade and the FCAT doesn't start until 3rd.

I think it is fair to say that a "10" means the schools are successful in teaching the sorts of things that get them "10s" on standardized tests. It does not mean the children are learning Latin, are diagraming sentences, are well acquainted with ancient history, or anything of the sort.

Just that they are meeting "public school" standards as best as test scores measure "performance."

Bill

Ours rates a 10, not that that means anything. My sdd, who has lds, went there and skated through with all As and Bs even though she couldn't write a sentence and didn't have even the most basic understanding of math by the time she left.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

The elementary schools are actually OK by some's standards around here, but then it rapidly goes down from there unless you get into the special magnet school for high school which focuses on an area that mine aren't into. The regular high school scored a 4.

We'll just have to keep at it!

P.S. I just looked at the schools I went to. All 10's. I guess that's why I'm picky...

Edited by GVA