Menu

What is the Great Schools Ranking of Your Local PS Elementary School?

What is the Great School Rank?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is the Great School Rank?

• 1-2
    • N/A

I actually checked last night for some odd reason. Elementary (k-3) is 2 stars, middle (6-8) is 2 stars and high school (9-12) is 4 stars. No score for the school that is for 4-5th grade. We live in an area with a high amount of immigrant children (mainly Mexican and Sudanese) due to the 3 plants in town (Tyson, IBP and Farmland). I'm sure this has an influence on our ranking as most children I've heard enter school with very little English skills. We have two private schools, Catholic and Lutheran, that I hear are amazing but no rating for them on that site.

My old elementary school is an 8 and old high school is a 2. Yep, that sounds about right. :tongue_smilie:

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where we just moved from:

Elementary - 3 (I was regularly told by local parents what a great school this is.)

Middle School - 2

High School - 3

Where we live now:

Elementary - 4

Middle School - 4

High School - 6

Edited by joannqn

That is a really interesting set up.

What are most people's major likes and dislikes about the set up?

we have only been in the area a year, so i haven't heard too much response. it seems like in general people like it and it was intended to decrease competition(you don't have the fight to get into a specific elementary, you don't have the option). everyone would be in the same boat for better or worse.

my friend, whose kids go to ps, told me about lining up in the spring to try and get her kids a specific teacher for the following fall. that may be the case with any school though. she also has to pick her pker and 1st grader up from two different schools. they stagger the release times so you can go pick people up and they aren't waiting around. of course the buses go from school to school and pick up all the kids from a specific neighbourhood.

My MIL liked the fact that the there wouldn't be as much of an age range in each school location(possibly less chance of big kid on little kid bullying)except for the busrides.

We have four public elementary schools in our suburb. The one my son attended is ranked a 10. I know the others are good, too.

I think I might be overly particular, but for the most part, I've been happy with our schools.

ETA:

Two elementary schools -- 9.

Two elementary schools -- 10.

The two middle schools -- 10.

The two junior highs -- 10.

High school -- 10.

Edited by MBM

we have only been in the area a year, so i haven't heard too much response. it seems like in general people like it and it was intended to decrease competition(you don't have the fight to get into a specific elementary, you don't have the option). everyone would be in the same boat for better or worse.

my friend, whose kids go to ps, told me about lining up in the spring to try and get her kids a specific teacher for the following fall. that may be the case with any school though. she also has to pick her pker and 1st grader up from two different schools. they stagger the release times so you can go pick people up and they aren't waiting around. of course the buses go from school to school and pick up all the kids from a specific neighbourhood.

My MIL liked the fact that the there wouldn't be as much of an age range in each school location(possibly less chance of big kid on little kid bullying)except for the busrides.

Interesting, thanks!

I've never seen those rankings before! All the schools my kids would have attended (elementary and middle) rate a 10, as does the high school. They've never attended any school (preK-7), but I am seriously considering sending them to the high school.

Wouldn't consider sending them to middle school no matter what the rankings. Ick, middle school. :tongue_smilie:

For someone who needs a bit of extra help and cannot afford tutoring and does not have the ability to do it themselves, I think the schools here are better than the magnet school that got a 9. From talking to friends here, the schools seem to do a good job reaching the average student and making sure everyone knows what is going on.

I noticed people quoting low-income rankings for each school, the low-income ranking for the magnet school is a 5. But, I still think that our local 4 school would be more helpful for their particular case, and it's low income rating was a 2. Of course, low-income here might be much lower.

All the schools in our district had either a 9 or 10. The elementary, middle and high school that my kids attended, would attend were all 10s.

I agree with the elementary and high school, but the 5-6th grade building was a nightmare. That is why we started homeschooling.

How interesting. While our elementary school ranks and 8 (which I voted for in the poll since you asked for elementary).....

Our high school ranks a 3.

And ours is considered one of the 'better' high schools in the area. SOOOOO glad I didn't send my kids there.

That is a really interesting set up.

What are most people's major likes and dislikes about the set up?

i had one more thought. you'll have a street of nicer homes next to more run down homes. i wonder if the lack of school district lines is at all responsible for this. It isn't a complete hodgepodge, but there are less uniform areas than you might find in another town. you don't have to try and live in a certain area to go to a specific school.

Yikes.

I never heard of this, and don't know exactly what it means. But every school, at every level, within about 5 minutes of us is a solid 10.

No wonder I know so few people who homeschool.

Now I wonder if I have been shortchanging my kids.

Edited by Jenny in GA
changed minor detail

Our school district assigns schools based on the student's address.

The elementary, middle, and high school that my children would attend are all ranked 4.

The schools that are just outside our boundary restriction are rated 9 and 10.

Edited by TrixieB

Ours ranks an 8, but that doesn't mean a hill of beans when AZ scores 49 out of 50 on national ranks.

No, someone look it it up for me the other day, I was sure that you had to be above at least 2 of the 3 of Arkansas, Louisana, and Mississippi, and AZ was actually 42! I am not sure where that 49 number is coming from.

(Although 42 is nothing to write home about.)

i had one more thought. you'll have a street of nicer homes next to more run down homes. i wonder if the lack of school district lines is at all responsible for this. It isn't a complete hodgepodge, but there are less uniform areas than you might find in another town. you don't have to try and live in a certain area to go to a specific school.

That is interesting!

The elementary is a 6, high school a 5. The page for the schools listed 4 languages they don't teach, so I don't know how they get the info. They also fail to mention that this district of 990 students cut over 90 teachers, aides, and employees due to funding-mostly special Ed and the arts. They don't have swimming or band around here, for instance.

The 3 nearest to my home were all n/a. The next three nearest to my home were 1(a charter!), 3, and 4 (I am shocked the numbers are this high, I would wager most prisons would be preferable and safer). There are 2 good charters in our city, one scored a 9 and one a 10. I suppose I exaggerate slightly by saying getting into one of those is like getting into an Ivy League University.

My local elementary school is a 2. The high school is a three. :glare:

I'm curious, though, Bill. You've raved about your child's private school in the past. How did it rank?

It is a public school. It got a 10. I don't know if "raved" is the word I'd choose, but it is a very good (not perfect) public school. We after-school because I believe home eduction can raise the level of education far above what a even a 10 school can provide, and see this as part of the duty (and pleasure) of being a parent. But our school does bring a good deal to the table.

Bill

It is a public school. It got a 10. I don't know if "raved" is the word I'd choose, but it is a very good (not perfect) public school. We after-school because I believe home eduction can raise the level of education far above what a even a 10 school can provide, and see this as part of the duty (and pleasure) of being a parent. But our school does bring a good deal to the table.

Bill

That's good to know! I imagine seeing that ranking was very reassuring. :001_smile:

I apologize for the mistake. For some reason I thought your son was attending a private school (first grade?), but maybe I'm confusing that with the preschool he attended?

I live in a small city with two universities, one Ivy league. I could tell you what the schools scores are without looking at that site. The neighborhoods for the professors, lawyers and doctors score very high. The neighborhoods for the teachers and office workers score in middle. The poorer neighborhoods, like where I live, score very low. I live in the only 'minority' neighborhood as it is so delicately called in these parts, full of the food service and janitors for those universities and lawyers. My neighborhood school is a 2. So sad and unfair.

We moved to this neighborhood on purpose. We knew we wanted to homeschool and this way, we can afford to have me stay home. If we weren't homeschooling I would be working full time and struggling to afford a house a few blocks away.

And, for the record, my neighborhood is perfectly fine. It has it's moments but I like it better than some of the nicer streets where no one is ever home. At least I know my neighbors and they are all very nice. My friend lives in a lovely cul-de-sac. In 14 years she has never spoken to a neighbor. But, her school is a 10.

Elementary, junior and senior are all 3's. Now you know why I homeschool.

Honestly, in my eldest dd's junior year, I called the high school to see if she could take the PSAT there. They didn't know what I was talking about. I with 3 different people because it was so shocking to me. I feel bad for the kids in my area in families who are not in a position to homeschool.

(I did call a local private school. They told me they didn't want *MY* dd's score to *skew* the results for their "award winning" school. I guess I could have been snarky and sent them a copy of her certificate naming her a National Merit Finalist. So glad she didn't skew their reality.)

Our school is a ten, but I don't homeschool for academic reasons.

We live in an upper-middle class suburb of a big city in the south. Our school district has a terrible drug problem. Public or private schools would be the last option for us. (Private, because we see that they have been the 'dumping ground' for children pushed out of public school.)

I am curious, too, about what standards are used to deem schools "great." Our school is rated 10 - but 72% of graduates take remedial classes in college. That doesn't sound like a "ten" school to me. :glare:

That's good to know! I imagine seeing that ranking was very reassuring. :001_smile:

I apologize for the mistake. For some reason I thought your son was attending a private school (first grade?), but maybe I'm confusing that with the preschool he attended?

Kind of like the folks I work with. They go online and watch their kids grades. They are very reassured when they are up there in the 90s where they feel they belong. It is so vital to have feedback and know what is going on, so this kind of data is really helping the parents keep track of things. Technology like this is no doubt really making a difference.

I am telling you, peace of mind is priceless. Truly priceless.

Bill, does your elementary school have a web site that might tell us more about what they are doing/ using?

Don't know if that would be inappropriate to ask. I'm just curious about what a 10 school looks like.

I feel like I'm doing a very good job with my oldest, but my youngest....I'm struggling with getting her reading/ writing/ doing math. She's not quite six yet, so people keep telling me not to worry, but my gut is worried. I've had her tested, and her achievement is right on average, but the gap between IQ and achievement was more than 30 points. They said she had the ear marks of a learning disability, but not dyslexia, and it was "too early to tell" what it is or what would help. She does have an anxiety disorder, and has improved with medication, but I keep seeing what her friends in kindergarten are doing, and I feel wretched. She is SO smart, and still having such difficulties. On the other hand, the recommendation was to put her in public school, with the understanding that in a couple years she would probably have fallen enough behind to get some help. Not a great plan in my mind. And she is average.....but, the kid uses words like soporific and luminous. She should be able to print her name/ understand basic addition/ read more than CVC words (and not consistently, after 18 months of instruction)/ remember her birthday.

I am curious, too, about what standards are used to deem schools "great." Our school is rated 10 - but 72% of graduates take remedial classes in college. That doesn't sound like a "ten" school to me. :glare:

Yes, and on the flip side I attended school in a district that averages 3's but it was a huge district that was able to support an absolutely stellar TAG program for elementary students and great honors and APs for high schoolers. I was able to get a "9" education and go to a top caliber science school despite being in an otherwise shoddy district. Every year there are graduates from my high school going to highly selective top tier colleges because of these great "hidden" programs.

There are numerous schools that rate a "10" in my city:

Cassidy Elementary School - in the swanky part of town; only the rich and famous may attend, in general. Their middle school and high school will also rank high, I'm sure.... But my child may not attend there....

Clays Mill Elementary School - I'm surprised by this one and by the middle school listed right below it....

Jessie M Clark Middle School

Maxwell Spanish Immersion Elementary School - again, many parents from wealthier families put their children in the immersion program and the school's overall test results are raised because they are there. This school is in a poorer part of town and the general population of the school does not score well....

Meadowthorpe Elementary School - the gifted program is housed here. Again, the general population does not do as well as the special population - and that is true for most of our schools here. Dunbar high has a gifted math and science pod. They have terrific math and science scores because of them - but they serve less than a hundred kids out of a total population of more than 2000....

I would not give any of these schools a score of "10".....