Menu

Help! Open office spreadsheet taken over by Adobe!

I created a spreadsheet in Open Office a couple of months ago. I recently downloaded Adobe and now it has taken over.

When I go to "open with. . ." and click Open Office all I get is a box full of symbols. And the Adobe version is split into 3 different pages with things cut off and put onto another page rather than one big page that was necessary to scroll right to read.

HELP! It took me h o u r s to create that spreadsheet since it was my first one. :>(

anyone?

Have you tried right clicking and choosing "open with..." and then choosing the open office program? Somewhere in your defaults it has mistakenly set those types of files to be opened by Adobe, so you need to change the default back. I'm sick in bed and on my phone right now or I'd hunt out where to do that for you. Maybe try googling it with your operating system.

If you create a new open office spreadsheet, and then double click on it, what program does it open up in? Are there any specific error messages that pop up when you open this file?

Do you happen to have a backup of the file?

I would then try the following:

1. Make a backup copy of the spreadsheet now.

2. Open up open office and try to access the spreadsheet that way.

3. If #2 doesn't work, I'd consult with google. I'm not an open office expert, but there are numerous programs out there that will fix corrupted MS Office files. I'm sure there are similar programs for Open Office. You may also want to take a look at this site - http://www.andybrain.com/archive/mb/open-office-data-recovery.htm.

You can also check what extension it is saved with in Open Office. Perhaps it was accidentally saved as a PDF and that's why you're now having trouble opening it with Open office. If that is the case, you should be able to click "save as" and then under format click ".ods" or ".odt" depending on whether you want a spreadsheet or a text document.

When I go to "open with. . ." and click Open Office all I get is a box full of symbols. And the Adobe version is split into 3 different pages with things cut off and put onto another page rather than one big page that was necessary to scroll right to read.

(

Instead, try starting Open Office from your start menu, then File, Open, and select the file.

You may find more than one file with that name, but different extensions, if you accidentally saved it first as a spreadsheet and then later as a pdf (Adobe format). The extension is the part of the filename after the period. If you can't see the extensions when you look at filenames, you need to change that option in Windows to show them. It is a box to uncheck "hide extensions for known file types" or something like that.

Instead, try starting Open Office from your start menu, then File, Open, and select the file.

You may find more than one file with that name, but different extensions, if you accidentally saved it first as a spreadsheet and then later as a pdf (Adobe format). The extension is the part of the filename after the period. If you can't see the extensions when you look at filenames, you need to change that option in Windows to show them. It is a box to uncheck "hide extensions for known file types" or something like that.

It is saying my .ods does not exist.

I'm glad you found it ! The way I backup my most important office files is to email them to myself as an attachment - I use Yahoo mail so the mail account does not "live" on my computer, so that is a backup I can get to if the computer itself goes away. Another way is to import it into a googledocs spreadsheet or document; then it lives on Google's server.