Menu

s/o garage into living space. How hard would it be to...

add heating and air conditioning to a garage. My garage is directly off my kitchen and the walls are finished in drywall. It seems like it wouldn't take much at all to complete it with flooring and turn it into a nice cozy room. It sits on a cement slab, though, not over the crawl space. I can't imagine how I would get the duct work in there. Any ideas?

We finished one side of our detached garage for a rec room. We put in an electric wall heater- but no AC. We have drywalled/mudded the walls and will finish the floors and paint in the Spring. We love the extra room! Perhaps some ductwork could be routed from your house for the AC? The electric heater works great for us, but we don't get very cold temps here.

When we lived in NC the first time we considered doing this for our house. The estimate to do it *legally* was $10k. Living spaces and garage spaces do not have the same insulation, fire protection, ventilation or other things that you might not think about.

Hmm...didn't think of this. Guess I'll have to do some asking around from my friends who know about such things. I always thought that since it was already drywalled, it was almost finished. If it's going to cost $10,000, forget it!

Hmm...didn't think of this. Guess I'll have to do some asking around from my friends who know about such things. I always thought that since it was already drywalled, it was almost finished. If it's going to cost $10,000, forget it!

Our garage was already drywalled too, but they were still going to have to add insulation inside them and such.