Menu

Rod and Staff English 7 vs Analytical Grammar

ilovemy4kids

Okay, we have been using Rod and Staff English 6 this year and it is going very well. So, why am I considering switching to Analytical Grammar? Because it looks so awesome and I started it with my son last year (he didn't keep going but that was not the fault of the program).

I'm undecided for 8th grade if it would be better to use

Rod and staff 7 then use AG in 9th grade

or

if I should just skip rod and staff 7 and use AG in 8th grade?

any thoughts?

It probably totally depends on what you're looking for in your grammar program. I switched from AG to R&S a few months ago. I am in love with R&S...wish I'd found it earlier. It is more thorough in it's coverage of grammar topics and I like the set-up better. I do however use a few of the hints in AG like if a modifier is moveable it modifies the verb if my dc can't figure it out the R&S way. But I really like the thorough explanations in R&S better and it gave me many AHA moments with things that were still a little fuzzy with AG. Granted I only went through the 1st 2 sections but I believe the last was almost all punctuation.

Anyway, those are my .02

Since I'm new to R&S I haven't experienced the tedium that I've heard expressed with going through grammar the same way year after year. I know that can play a part in the decision. And coming FROM R&S you'll be coming at AG with an entirely different knowledge base than we came at it with and it might be a wonderful refreshment for you.

Sorry, that doesn't really help, does it? :001_smile:

Part of the reason I am debating which to use, is based on workload. We plan to use Starting Points by David Quine which includes writing assignments. I can either use it standalone and do the assignments as given, or I can buy IEW TWSS and the lesson plans for Starting Points and do it with some hand holding. My worry is that the Rod and Staff will be too much along with the IEW based starting points writing lessons. Does that make any sense?

As a side note, she will also be taking writeathome.com 's 8th grade comp as an elective. Her choice.... she loves their courses and wants to do it, even if it means more writing.

Part of the reason I am debating which to use, is based on workload. We plan to use Starting Points by David Quine which includes writing assignments. I can either use it standalone and do the assignments as given, or I can buy IEW TWSS and the lesson plans for Starting Points and do it with some hand holding. My worry is that the Rod and Staff will be too much along with the IEW based starting points writing lessons. Does that make any sense?

As a side note, she will also be taking writeathome.com 's 8th grade comp as an elective. Her choice.... she loves their courses and wants to do it, even if it means more writing.

My son is doing R&S 6th with all the writing, Starting Points, The Elegant Essay and he Beta tested SWB writing program. It is barely enough. Starting Points only has a couple papers as far as I can tell. By "week" 8, they have slowly written the first paper. We are doing it over two years, so that is week 16 for us. HTH some!:)

My son is doing R&S 6th with all the writing, Starting Points, The Elegant Essay and he Beta tested SWB writing program. It is barely enough. Starting Points only has a couple papers as far as I can tell. By "week" 8, they have slowly written the first paper. We are doing it over two years, so that is week 16 for us. HTH some!:)

Cool! I was worried about overloading her but from what you've stated, it seems doable!