Menu

Anchorage---anyone live there or know a lot about that area?

Looks like dh might be unemployed yet again---all due to state budget cuts. He did see an ad for an automotive professor at U of AK in Anchorage.

Just wondering what housing/living costs are like? How much darkness in the winter? Is this a family friendly area to live?

We have friends living in Alaksa but they are in a remote Native Village so quite a bit different.

Dh and I worked in Anchorage for 1 1/2 years before dd was born. It is beautiful there and we had a wonderful time:001_smile:

It is dark about 18 hours a day during the winter. In Anchorage there was still usually enough city lights to go cross country skiing without a flashlight. The way to deal with the darkness is to go out and live life anyway. Don't stay inside just b/c is it dark.

The cost of living is fairly high. If you want to get out and explore some of the rest of the state a 4WD is a must with studded tires and a block heater for your car. Everything does cost more because it has to be shipped there. We made enough there as engineers that we lived really well.

There are parks throughout the city, there are bike/cross country ski/walking trails all over the city. There are movie theaters, bowling alleys, skating rinks, and malls. There are places to go down hill skiing and there are lots of places to go exploring. The people are very friendly and there are lots of people into hockey.

You do have to be aware of moose and bear. Moose are generally about as calm as cattle, but don't come between a mama and baby and don't corner them. We saw moose all the time while living there. There were a few people malled by bears in downtown Anchorage while we were there. We never saw a bear while we were there though.

It is a fairly long trip even on a plane to get back to the lower 48. I think it is a 4 or 5 hour plane ride to get to Seattle.

It is a different way of life. There is a lot to see and do and can be a real blast.

I'd go back in a heartbeat if the oil industry opened back up there.

Thanks. I would be worried about the darkness for dh. He is the type of guy that has trouble even here in Michigan in the winter. He needs sunshine.

I talked to my friend that is up there today and she isn't sure dh would like it due to the darkness.

They are currently up in Barrow but were in Wainwright for 15 years.

Even if dh doesn't apply for the job, I am looking at going to Anchorage or Fairbanks next year to visit her. We talked about me going all the way to Barrow but honestly, there isn't much to do there and if her husband was home, I would be more comfortable staying somewhere else, etc. We figured that likely it would be better for us to just meet in Anchorage or Fairbanks and spend the week there. I would just pay her ticket down instead of paying my way all the way up there.

We are currently stationed at Eielson AFB, outside of North Pole, AK and about 20 miles from Ft. Wainwright. We were stationed at Elmendorf, in Anchorage previously. Anchorage gets more rain and snow than Fairbanks area. A lot of people have said it is more "dreary" in Anchorage. BUT we loved it there. We are looking to retire to Anchorage someday.

There is a lot to do in Anchorage, it is a city. Alaska is wonderful for outdoor sports & activities! Hunting and fishing are big here.

It is more expensive to live in Alaska, but not terribly so.