Menu

Saxon math users...

My son is in the 5/4 book right now, so this isn't an immediate concern...but, I have a question(s) about the 8/7 versus the Algebra 1/2. I've read on the Saxon site that 8/7 now incorporates Algebra 1/2 and is a much stronger text than previously.

I'd like to know if those of you who have used either or both feel that 8/7 prepares the child sufficiently for Algebra 1? Is it still "acceptable" to skip 8/7 and go straight to Algebra 1/2?

Thanks!

~Holly

My children were a little ahead in math but I felt like it was important to give them a solid base and there was really no hurry to push them on through. Another reason is that many children, no matter how intelligent, just are not developmentally ready for some of the algebra concepts until they are a little older. One thing I have done is let them take the tests in the beginning of Algebra 1/2 as if they were pretests and if they did well we would just move on. We would do that until they started to feel bogged down or reach new material.

I know others feel there is no need to do both, so I guess it is more of a personal decision.

My son is in the 5/4 book right now, so this isn't an immediate concern...but, I have a question(s) about the 8/7 versus the Algebra 1/2. I've read on the Saxon site that 8/7 now incorporates Algebra 1/2 and is a much stronger text than previously.

I'd like to know if those of you who have used either or both feel that 8/7 prepares the child sufficiently for Algebra 1? Is it still "acceptable" to skip 8/7 and go straight to Algebra 1/2?

Thanks!

~Holly

Well in the older versions... kids who might struggle w/ math used 87 before Alg 1/2. Other wise the went right from 76 to Alg 1/2. The newer version you go from 76 to 87.... 87 in the older versions was basically review... we never used the older 87 but did the newer and that is when I stopped using it. My son hated it.... went into TT. We needed more explanation and we didnt like the D.I.V.E dvds....

It is a more difficult text than it used to be. It, however, is not as good as the lower levels. The second half of the book does not give enough reinforcement of some pretty difficult subjects.

Yes, there is some pre-algebra in it, but I would consider it more of a general math book. It also has lots of geometry, which I loved.

So whether or not it is enough prep for algebra one, it really depends on your child and it really depends on what math program you will be using for algebra. If you will be doing TT or MUS algebra, it is more than enough prep. If you are going into Chalkdust and/ or your child is not very strong in math, I would say, go ahead and do the algebra 1/2