Menu

Help me motivate my daughter

Thanks!

She had tried last year but the results were hurried, disorganized, way too short, and not good at all. She went from the awesome writing in the beginning to something that sounds like it was written by a 10 year old.

She has no idea where to go with it. My goal is to help mentor her through the brainstorming, outlining, and writing of the rest of the story. I wish I had talent, too. My inability to write fiction is NOT going to help. I have poor skills in mentoring as well.

I'm going to start by reading a bunch of novels in that genre with her and analyzing how those authors handled characters, setting, and plot.

Thanks!

She had tried last year but the results were hurried, disorganized, way too short, and not good at all. She went from the awesome writing in the beginning to something that sounds like it was written by a 10 year old.

She has no idea where to go with it. My goal is to help mentor her through the brainstorming, outlining, and writing of the rest of the story. I wish I had talent, too. My inability to write fiction is NOT going to help. I have poor skills in mentoring as well.

I'm going to start by reading a bunch of novels in that genre with her and analyzing how those authors handled characters, setting, and plot.

As a writer, let me just say that that happens sometimes to seasoned writers too. What was a beautiful start, sometimes loses focus and peters out. Do encourage her but realize that she may have lost the spark for that particular story. Sometimes you can get that spark back and sometimes you can't.

As a writer, let me just say that that happens sometimes to seasoned writers too. What was a beautiful start, sometimes loses focus and peters out. Do encourage her but realize that she may have lost the spark for that particular story. Sometimes you can get that spark back and sometimes you can't.

Thanks for the insight. We'll see if we can do anything with it. In general, though, I'm trying to get her motivated to write again period. She hasn't done any creative writing at all in a while even though it's her biggest interest.

I think getting feedback from people other than me would help. She also finished a children's book about sea turtles (science/writing assignment). Seeing that printed in color excited her. She doesn't know that I've already ordered it printed at Lulu; can't publish publicly it through because she used clipart without permission. But I think she'll be excited to see it in book form and be able to read it to her little brother and sister.

Have you checked into NaNoWriMo? My ds had a writing class last year (and again next year) that did this and they loved it. Ds ended up with a book in print (Lulu.com). You should see him beam anytime someone comments on it!

This program may give her that extra nudge, especially if she can find friends to do it with. They can critique each other and hold each other accountable for word count goals, etc. You could even do it with her. I'm thinking about participating next year as ds writes his next book.

http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/

BTW, you can download their workbook from the website for free. It'll take you through the steps of developing character, plot, dialogue, etc. Great resource!

Edited by EppieJ

NaNoWriMo was a nightmare when we tried it a couple of years ago. She went through their workbook, at my insistence. Her "story" ended up being a rewrite of the workbook answers, one after another, and was almost worse than Dick and Jane writing. It was about the same time, I think, that she lost all motivation to write.

When she's writing on her own, she starts well but has trouble with developing a full story line. I'm hoping that going through similar genre books in depth to see how they started and progressed through the story will help. I would even be happy with her practically copying another author's story using her characters...like Eragon did according to many critics of the work. Imitation can be a good place to start as long as you aren't publishing it (ie. IEW does this).

Have her read the Elements of Fiction Writing series. It's wonderful & great for helping organize & discover new ideas & get fiction moving to the next step.

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=elements+of+fiction+writing&box=elements%20of%20fiction%20writing&pos=-1&ugrp=0

These look awesome! I'm thinking I may even use them as her language arts class next year.

ETA: Ok, there is way too much material here. Where to start? Where to start?

Edited by joannqn