Menu

I need Dr. Hive again: How long do I wait for this cut to heal on its own?

Possibly TMI, so maybe don't read further if you're squeamish!

I was opening mail with my pinky finger on Tuesday night, and one of the inserts inside an envelope gave me a bad paper cut on the side of my pinky, deep in the crevice where the nail meets the skin :crying: I'm completely paranoid about infection, because DH had one in the bed of his thumbnail a few months ago and had to go on antibiotics (nearly lost the nail :svengo:).

So it's been a few days, and it's still quite painful (though not as bad as on that first day), and there's (here comes the TMI part, sorry!) what looks like a tiny extra layer of skin squishing up now in the crevice *shudder* I have no idea if that's a normal part of healing in a tight space like this, and our local doctor is antibiotic-happy, so I know if I go over there, I'll get a script whether I really need one or not.

WWYD? Is it too soon to worry? Am I growing a extra pinky? Does this all sound pretty normal?

TIA! (And apologies for the ickiness!)

IMO it is too soon to worry. But OTOH, think of what you can do with an extra pinky!

Did you put any type of antibacterial ointment on it? Bandaid? Even though it is in a weird place, you should try to keep it clean, since under fingernails is a yummy place. :001_huh:

Edited by Tylianna
DYAC!

IMO it is too soon to worry. But OTOH, think of what you can do with an extra pinky!

Did you put any type of antibacterial ointment on it? Bandaid? Even though it is in a weird place, you should try to keep it clean, since under fingernails is a yummy place. :001_huh:

:iagree: If it were me, I'd just put some Neosporin on it with a bandage. The weirdness is probably just part of the healing in an odd area.