Menu

s/o: bd confusion in older kids

Wee Pip

Anyone have older kids that still confuse b and d? My dd (10) seems to have "fixed" this by just making all b's and d's capitalized. She used to have horrid handwriting and I spent years trying to fix it and finally just gave up (we used HWT and HWT cursive). She hates cursive hw'ing, so after 2 years of that, we just went back to print. Her hw'ing has greatly improved when she takes the time to make letters, but those b's and d's are now capitalized. I don't think she's dyslexic; she struggled to read at first, but then caught on around age 7 and is ahead in reading ability. Even with capitalized B's and D's, she still has to correct her letters, because I'll see her write a D for a B and then rewrite it correctly. I think she is one that I will just need to teach typing:glare:

My son (11) does the same thing and adopted the same strategy to "correct" it (using capitals). I had to nip that in the bud. It made his already impossible to read handwriting worse. He is definitely not dyslexic as he began reading at 2 1/2. I think they call trouble with handwriting dysgraphia.

Sometimes he even reverses the "b" to a "p". His handwriting has finally improved this year. It seems to be a "brain glitch" not a practice issue. I've had him practice b's and d's over and over and over and over.

At least now he pronounces his new "funny" word andlaughs about it, before it would make him furious that his hand wouldn't do what his brain told it to do! He can see that the letters are written incorrectly after he writes them and corrects them.

Switching to cursive is supposed to be the solution, but we've been learning cursive for four years, and I'm only now thinking it is neat enough to read. I suspect this is something that is outgrown much as his messy handwriting seems to be resolving itself. I let him do reports or creative writing on the computer.

This may seem like an unrelated question, but bear with me LOL. How is her spelling?

Actually, I think she spells quite well! We haven't done formal spelling for awhile now. She tested high in spelling on the IOWA test 3rd gr last year. I just tested her with SWR and she tested in the 4th grade lists. She gets words like write/right mixed up, but I think this is pretty age appropriate. If she studies a spelling list and then gets tested, she scores fine (so her memory for letters/words seems alright). Of course, you have to ignore that capital B in the middle of the word, lol.

My DD is in vision therapy for several reasons, one of which is reversals. Here are a few of the tricks/techniques that she has been taught:

* Form both hands into a b/d shape (basically same as if you were making the okay sign, but with the pinky in a straight line with the middle and ring fingers). B & D will always be in the correct alphabetical order - left to right

* give DD a page full of vertical lines. Call out "b,d,p,q" in random order and have her try to put the "ball" in the correct place on each line as fast as she can

* Have the child regularly write the lowercase alphabet in order while singing the alphabet song - specifically repeat "a,b,c,d" and "p, q" to reinforce visual and auditory memory

Good luck! We are struggling right along with you.

My DD is in vision therapy for several reasons, one of which is reversals. Here are a few of the tricks/techniques that she has been taught:

Thanks, Liberty! That's very helpful; we'll start working on it. I'll bring it up at our ophthamalogist(sp?) appt in March, too (I'm taking all 3 of my kiddos in).

Our 7 yo also was in vision therapy...for many issues...but one of them was reversals. We did several things but the work from the vision therapist was the most intense and the most helpful.

I also have the workbook "Correcting Reversals". I bought it from Rainbow Resource. It is very affordable.

The handwriting program I started using has also helped a lot. It groups letters by the "first stroke" required to form them...so b and d are in different groups, and formed in completely different ways...same with p and q. He does not think about b and d in the same way anymore, and they are different kinesthetic experiences to write, so he no longer confuses them.