Menu

Anyone's kids taking the SATs tomorrow?

Gee, you'd think I was the one taking the test. I have 2 DC taking the test tomorrow and I had a nightmare last night that I brought them to the test center and forgot to bring their admission tickets, calculators, pencils, i.d.s and snacks....egads!

Please say a prayer for them. I'll add your kids th my prayer list too.:)

Thanks.

Lamenting tomorrow right along with you! Ds will be taking it. He is my mildly dyslexic one, so prayers and good thoughts sure would be appreciated. I just came back from snack shopping at the store and ds is rewatching some ChalkDust Math SAT review dvds and trying to stay calm.:D He works tonight from 5-9:30 which is probably a good thing. It will keep him occupied and tire him out so he can sleep. Me, I'll probably be laying awake half the night. I'm such a worrier.

I'll be glad when tomorrow is over. I keep telling him not to worry though, he won't really even need the SAT scores if he follows his sister's footsteps and goes for an AA or AS at the cc first. He intends to take classes there next year. The placement test for that is Tuesday. Then we can breathe freely again...

BTW, snacks of choice at our house for the test: Kashi granola bars and FUSE white tea.

Good luck, everyone!

What snacks do you have lined up? I'm thinking protein....cheesesticks, hardboiled eggs, sunflower seeds, homemade bread and water. Sugar makes my kids sleepy....so granola bars are out. I know they probably won't even eat half of it, but I'm more comfortable being overly-ready. There's a term for that in my parents' dialect that has no English equivalent....KIA-SU. (literal translation: afraid to lose out)

I need to :chillpill:

Ds is obviously not carbohydrate sensitive, especially not something with whole grains in it like Kashi, but for Dd who would have fallen asleep after a Kashi bar we chose beef jerky as a snack. She took her SAT two years ago. It was her choice and it worked well for her. Having to chew on it like you do helped with some tension release I think! I will also be sending some nuts with ds.

Sure glad I noticed this post. I hadn't even thought about snacks for tomorrow. I may have to make a grocery store run yet tonight! My daughter is taking the SAT for the first time--her dad has been prepping her pretty throughly on math and the language part is her strong suit. She's most concerned about the essay. Since she's only a sophomore, I've advised her not to worry too much as she can always try again next year. Hope I haven't steered her wrong!

I'll be praying for calm hearts and clear minds for all the students taking the test!!

Yvonne

whew! That's over. Ds said he thinks he did well. He was very confident as he exited the test. Yeah!! He isn't even tired. He's dancing around the livingroom to his music and bouncing on the rebounder! I need a major nap...

How did everyone else's dc make out?

Left the house at 7, got home at 1. That's a long morning to devote to a test! Lucky for me there was a Super WalMart and Target about 5 minutes away. :) Ds practiced essays this last week, and it turned out that the essay question on the exam was extremely similar to one he did yesterday--about as good as you could hope for, I guess! The only problem is that the essay he wrote yesterday wasn't that great; I hope he remembered all the great tips for improvement I gave him....:tongue_smilie:

Guess we'll find out in 6 weeks!

Mine FINISHED the essay! Surprise, surprise! And thought he didn't bomb the math! And didn't get through all the reading. That's no surprise, since he reads very, very slowly. He's better at the reading-type questions than writing and math, though, so it is too bad he coudn't finish. We are not and never have been expecting great things from his SAT scores. We've known from about when he was 4 that he wasn't cut out for that sort of thing. That's why he'd doing some CC classes. He got an average score on the PSAT, so I expect he'll do similarly for the SAT. As a family, we usually do rather well at that sort of thing, and he's not less intelligent than the rest of us; I think he's just wired a bit differently. I can't believe he managed to finish that essay! Yahoo! Unfortunately, he has to spend the rest of his day packing for France, finishing off his great books project, and cramming down the last of his math book. I wish I could send him off for a bike ride or something. I did take him to the library on the way home to pick out a movie to watch tonight. I'm sure he'll be shot by then and it won't be worth trying to do anything. We're all a mess. I forgot to tell my husband about a huge check he'd miswritten, left the poor kitty boxless for 24 hours, and this morning, my husband managed to make a nice little fire in the kitchen out of the mail I'd left on the stove so I couldn't forget to deal with it. Sigh. I will be SO glad when summer comes.

I'm glad everyone else survived their SATs. Hugs all around.

-Nan

Lynne, I'm glad you had some places to hang out while you waited. It sure is one long test! I came home. We live about ten minutes from the high school where ds took the SAT. I was lucky.

Ds still has energy and is going to play floor hockey tonight! I can't imagine :tongue_smilie:. I don't think he inherited his energy level from me. Dd was totally wiped out after she took it. I seem to remember a three hour nap.

Nan,

Sounds like your DS is like mine. He thought he bombed the critical reading section. He has always read v-e-r-y slowly.

One thing we never figured was how much he would be distracted by kids sitting all around him. He said every little noise bothered him..... papers rustling, calculators dropping, kids stretching or asking the proctor questions.

DD seemed to be really happy after the test.,,,, a great relief, I think. She didn't really have any complaints except that she couldn't use any quotes from all the great books she had read.

Ironically, and I'm confused about this....DS said she had an extra math section, while DS said he had extra critical reading section. Do they really give different kids different tests? What a twist that they would each get the extra section that they were worse at! They were also surprised at how little break they got 10 mins for the whole test.

I'm just glad it's over. I wonder if DS should take the ACT in Sept. He can do the math section, even the writing section, just not the critical reading section of the SAT. I don't know......

Hope you enjoy your trip to France....lucky!!

DS said she had an extra math section, while DS said he had extra critical reading section. Do they really give different kids different tests?
I meant to say DD had the extra math section and DS had the extra CR section.

I feel somewhat discouraged this morning. DS is just never going to score well on standardized tests. It's seems so unfair that some really intelligent kids fall through the cracks. This child can build computers, write in code, even create his own operating system. All that abstract sublime literary stuff escapes him. Feeling sad for him because he did work hard and he's so disappointed......

I wouldn't worry too much. He's likely to major in something that he's good at, right? And it is really, really normal for engineering/computer type people to be lopsided and do very poorly at the reading/writing SAT piece. That's why they give the scores separately. He'll be in good company applying to college. Just make sure his transcript reflects those strengths so the colleges can see what they ARE getting, not just what they aren't.

I feel somewhat discouraged this morning. DS is just never going to score well on standardized tests. It's seems so unfair that some really intelligent kids fall through the cracks. This child can build computers, write in code, even create his own operating system. All that abstract sublime literary stuff escapes him. Feeling sad for him because he did work hard and he's so disappointed......

I would recommend getting an ACT prep book out of the library and having him do some practice tests just to get an idea of how he'd do. You might also be able to get the free ACT test booklet from your local high school, and it has a practice test inside. Once you have an idea of how he'd do, then you can decide if spending the time to practice for the ACT would be worthwhile.

HTH,

Brenda

whew! That's over. Ds said he thinks he did well. He was very confident as he exited the test. Yeah!! He isn't even tired. He's dancing around the livingroom to his music and bouncing on the rebounder! I need a major nap...

How did everyone else's dc make out?

My dd thinks she did well, too. She felt that the math part was pretty easy. She paced herself well, and omitted very few problems.

She felt that the SAT prep course that she took really prepared her well for the test.

She got very little sleep the night before, due to a harrowing experience...

My dh and I were away at the homeschool conference. (Where we got to see SWB - yay!) Anyway, my younger dd let the dogs out late on Friday night, and our shepherd got into a fight with a raccoon. We got a phone call at 12:30 from our hysterical dd, saying that Grizzly was bleeding, and one of our other dogs was missing. (poor dear!) Needless to say, nobody got much sleep that night, and my dh and I were wondering if it was a good idea that we went away. We had one of the girls from our youth group stay with them.

So, in spite of that, thanks be to G-d, she did much better than anticipated.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement!! I know he'll find his way. It's just that we had worked so hard. I have an ACT test prep book. I may have him take a test if he does indeed bomb the CR section of the SAT. Not looking forward to it though:tongue_smilie: