Menu

"the words jump"

What might this be? My DD8 was a very later reader, she was labeled as an underachiever because of the differences between IQ and Achievement. She is reading now but it is still a struggle. She states that sometimes "the words jump" around on the page. Her handwriting is beautiful but very precise and she still struggles with b and d reversals.

Has she seen an pediatric optometrist? Sounds like she my have tracking issues with her eyes. This has nothing to do with how well she sees as in 20/20, but how her eyes can follow a line on the page. Unless they are looking for it, some optometrist or pediatrician will not look for these type of issues.

Sounds like she needs vision therapy and/or Irlen colored overlays. Have her evaluated with a developmental optometrist and also poke around at the Irlen website http://www.irlen.com

I did look at this, but need to research it more. I did have my DD look at the screen with the different colors and she says blue and purple/pink are easier to look at. She does have CP and did extensive OT, PT, and speech, and she does wear glasses, although they cannot correct her vision to 20/20. We see her peds next week and I am going to have to bring this up with him.

I did see that there is a developmental optometrist about an hour from me on the covd site so I will have to look into that as well. :)

Go to www.covd.org and look at the signs and symptoms page. My son described words doing that as he read as well. His was caused by a severe tracking issue and convergence problems that required several months of vision therapy to correct. His eyes did not track together at the same time and his brain would switch from one eye to the other trying to focus. The words would jump and he would lose his place.