Menu

I need book lists, please

melmichigan

My oldest DD is an avid reader but doesn't like to choose her own books, except for anything written by Erin Hunter. She currently reads all the history and literature recommendations for TOG D (primary and alternative) and anything she hasn't read from UG. She is reading everything I have from SL through Core 100 except Christy, she read Murder for Her Majesty today.

I am running out of booklists. :lol: She asked me what her next book is tonight and I have no idea. I thought Murder for Her Majesty would last more than a day, two or three at least. I have gone through all I can find from TOG, SL (which I own), MFW, WP and Hewitt LL. I was trying to stick with the year plan as far as history but I might have to give that up.

She reads extensively in science on her own, life science and anything animal related being her favorite. Up until last year wouldn't read fiction unless it was historical fiction or Erin Hunter, but then quickly went through all the classics that are animal related in any way. (She doesn't care for things like Harry Potter). I resorted to amazon lists from Listmania for Christmas presents this year and I am just out of ideas. Please help!

I finally told her to write an approach paper while I decide. :D

How old is she?

Those Erin Hunter books, you are talking about Warriors right? Those are animal fantasy. Has she tried the Redwall series? That would keep her busy for a while!

Have you checked the Scholastic Book Wizard? It enables you to put in an author or title and find more books like that. And you can adjust it up or down in level.

Is it the animals she likes, or the fantasy setting? I don't have the lists for the TOG or other lists you referred to, so I don't want to list off a bunch of stuff she's already read that would be obvious. Try that Book Wizard and see if it helps!

Here are my favorite resources...

Christine Miller's "All Through the Ages" www.rainbowresource.com

Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt www.amazon.com

(This author has also written "Honey for a Teen's Heart and Honey for a Woman's Heart.")

How to Grow a Young Reader by Kathryn Linkskoog www.amazon.com

Books Children Love by Elizabeth Laraway Wilson www.amazon.com

The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease www.amazon.com

Raising Bookworms by Emma Walton Hamilton www.amazon.com

Books That Build Character by William Kilpatrick www.amazon.com

Hand that Rocks the Cradle by Nathaniel Bluedorn www.amazon.com

1000 Good Books by Christine Miller http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

:001_smile:

Edited by kalphs

How old is she?

Those Erin Hunter books, you are talking about Warriors right? Those are animal fantasy. Has she tried the Redwall series? That would keep her busy for a while!

Have you checked the Scholastic Book Wizard? It enables you to put in an author or title and find more books like that. And you can adjust it up or down in level.

Is it the animals she likes, or the fantasy setting? I don't have the lists for the TOG or other lists you referred to, so I don't want to list off a bunch of stuff she's already read that would be obvious. Try that Book Wizard and see if it helps!

She likes the animals. I will look into the Redwall series, I was sad to see on the website that he just died this month, the first post was regarding a memorial service.

She turned 11 in Nov., she would be 6th grade in the PS, although the youngest in her class. I will check out the Scholastic Book Wizard, I hadn't thought of that.

I am trying to avoid buying books of lists, I already spend a ton on the books themselves. ;) I will check my library though for any of those titles.