Menu

I'd join a Co-op IF, it had (fill in the blank) subjects and cost under (Fill in the

I'd join a Co-op IF, it had (Fill in the blank) subjects

and cost under (Fill in the blank), again :)

Just thinking about what kind of co-op I might want to start:

Here are some choices:

Veritas Press Co-op, (not sure how this would look)

Science through the Ages Co-op

Music History Co-op (and more??)

Living Math Co-op (like the one Julie has)

History Based Co-op (think this might be hard since

people are on different cycles)

Other Ideas??

What would you want, if I would do all the work of getting it together? What would you teach?? How much per family would seem "agreeable" for insurance, facility cost, and supplies :)

Ok, Help me find my New calling! :) By the way, my son is 7 but I care MOST about the junior high/ high school years, having a co-op that we can establish friendships in and that he can be academically stretched.

:)

I would join a co-op if it had FUN ENRICHMENT classes and only cost for materials and the church.

Actually, this is the kind of co-op I am in the process of starting. Nobody I know has extra money right now. If it is going to cost a lot,then it is going to leave kids out.

I don't look for a co-op to teach my kids actual lessons. We do enough of that at home. I look for a co-op for my kids to interact with others, have fun and learn at the same time.

Latin

Other Foreign Language

Drama

Band/Orchestra

Chorus

Science with Lab

Art (skills based, not arts and crafts but oil painting, water color etc.)

I think the above classes are actually better in a group (or better outsourced like a native speaker for foreign language)

I'm not sure I love the idea of a co-op that is too academic because I don't really think most academic subjects (like math, or history) are really better in a group unless the teacher is incredibly dynamic and has very high standards.

It would need to be very inexpensive too.

We're pretty much done with coops but I could maaaaybbbbbeeee be tempted to go to one if it offered a good higher level debate course, philosophy, logic class. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything that comes remotely close to being what I would expect. My experience has been that some of the more academic courses just don't measure up to the description. For that matter many of the fluffy ones don't either. :(

Well, of course I would want to offer a high caliber co-op with the mission stated well and the members would.... of course.... choose to have high standards too! :) I actually am looking at the Masters Academy type co-op... or something.... I know that math hasn't worked well in a co-op. I know that Latin worked well with my mom teaching a few students... and she kept far ahead of them. She has an excellent background with English grammar and spent more than an hour a day studying to teach :)

While "math co-ops" don't work, I can see a "Living Math" co-op working.

I am interested in many subjects, but especially the ones that you can use anything at home, and yet benefit from academics, separately.

Still thinkin'

I would join a co-op if it had FUN ENRICHMENT classes and only cost for materials and the church.

I don't look for a co-op to teach my kids actual lessons. We do enough of that at home. I look for a co-op for my kids to interact with others, have fun and learn at the same time.

This! We are looking for non-academics. I prefer to be in charge of that. Although a foreign language would be acceptable. I'm mostly looking for Art (not crafts, different mediums), Music, Choir, Drama, Band, PE, Lego Building, etc.

I like the parent volunteer co-ops. I really can't afford another activity, but I would gladly participate in some manner.

This! We are looking for non-academics. I prefer to be in charge of that. Although a foreign language would be acceptable. I'm mostly looking for Art (not crafts, different mediums), Music, Choir, Drama, Band, PE, Lego Building, etc.

I like the parent volunteer co-ops. I really can't afford another activity, but I would gladly participate in some manner.

Me too! Cheaper the better, and there has to be an option for mommy to have a toddler tag along as mine will NOT be without me.

Actually, this is the kind of co-op I am in the process of starting. Nobody I know has extra money right now. If it is going to cost a lot,then it is going to leave kids out.

:iagree:

I love, LOVE my co-op, and even in a perfect world would still choose it. We pay $20 per family for the entire year. It meets once a month (ok, I'd love it to meet more often), from 10 - 2.

In the morning the kids are divided by age/grade, and they study whatever the year's theme is (this year it's systems of the body); then there's a bag lunch in the cafeteria (we meet at a church); then the afternoon session is "club" time--everything from tea party club (the beverage, not the politics), chess, creative writing, legos, sports, and others I know I'm forgetting. There's a monthly student newspaper for kids to publish their work (anything--poems, essays, articles, photos, comics, etc).

In addition to the monthly co-op, the group does:

1) A field trip per month

2) A P.E. class once per month

3) A talent/recital night

4) A project fair

5) Graduation ceremony/banquet

6) Kickoff and year-end picnics

7) Parent partners--you get another mom's name and look for ways to encourage her throughout the year (notes, gifts, calls, whatever)

I'm sure there's more, but that's off the top of my head. It's an active and busy co-op with I think like 60-80 kids, and I LOVE it. Sorry for gushing, but I am powerless to resist. :D

HTH. Best wishes with yours!

1. Was two days/week with ages ranging from olders to youngers.

2. Had classes like: Memory Time for youngers (focusing on grammar jingles, math jingles, and history chants), Speech & Debate, Drama, Choir, Sports & Games (age appropriate), Latin and/or other foreign language classes, and science classes.

3. Had nursery care for co-op teachers and assistants

4. Was more inclusive, and did not mandate a statement of faith to join. Perhaps a statement of faith to teach (but read more like the apostle's creed...lol)

Like others have said, I would like to see enrichment classes: drama, debate, music, choir, art, great books discussion, robotics, etc. It would need to cost less than $100/month for our family. It would need to meet no more than once a week.

It would not require a SOF. This is especially important for high school students. I think they need to start being aware there are lots of different points of view out there in the world.

It would have a space for babies/littles not participating-whether those moms are excused or there is a nursery. I don't have littles anymore, but I have seen how extremely distracting they are for moms who do have them and are trying to teach a class.

Here are some choices:

Veritas Press Co-op, (not sure how this would look)

Not trying to start a debate, but know that some people will not use their materials because of their providential view of history. Just something to be aware of.

:iagree:I need and want down, interaction time. I would love a connection for field trips though. My favorite co-op was one that only cost a family membership of $25 a year. Then we paid for any event, class, or field trip we wanted to participate in. No one participated in everything. Classes were parent taught. If parents had certification in a particular area of study then they might teach something in that area. For younger kids, any classes taught were just fun kinds of things - like animals of the Bible, short book studies, and crafts.

Right now a group of us are looking to form a central group just to share information about what is available for homeschoolers locally. The problem here is that many people homeschool but don't want to join a very specific, very driven group for many reasons. They do however want to have play dates, take field trips, find music teachers...

Subjects: We'd really go with whatever, as long as it was interesting to the kids and/or I felt it was something they should learn. However, leaning more towards the fun side than Serious Business Academics at this age. We'd be unlikely to participate in classes that pushed a specific religious or political agenda.

Cost: Whatever seems realistic for what is being offered, within our (low) budget. I'd pay more for something that I really wanted my kid to learn that I didn't feel I could easily get elsewhere than I would for a class that was basically for fun that could be replaced by a less expensive activity.

I'm sorry, I know that's not very helpful, but it's not something where I feel I can give an accurate blanket response.

Edited by ocelotmom

likeminded families that cared about education and enforced/reinforced it at home. Not interested at all in a group where the teaching is great, but the peer stimulation is completely lacking. This, as we've talked about via pm :D, is the hardest to find and keep.

Hmm. Hard to give dollar amounts. I'd be hard-pressed to pay for elementary classes, but would more likely pay for classes in junior and senior high. Especially for 14- to 15-yo boys. :D Jk. (kinda) They are actually some of the most fun to teach. But that's where good peer pressure is so helpful!

Lisa

Hey Lisa and others :)

I am thinking that if I did a co-op that was pretty much "parent led" but as they went into 7th or so... and up... it was taught by more "master teachers" that were seriously interested in their particular subject.... and that would be money to pay them for their time :)

I do value myself as the parent/teacher but also see that for some subjects as they are older, having a teacher who has indepth knowledge about that particular subject, could be of benefit. And, of course, serious study by peers would be of value for the interaction possibilities as well as for the encouragement of reaching for the bar. (As long as the bar isn't laid on the floor :))