Menu

Slackers Anonymous

HeyChelle

Hi. My name is Chelle and I feel like a slacker. :sad: I'm not even sure if I am posting for encouragement, admonishment, or helpful ideas. :001_huh:

DD8 is in 3rd grade. We have definitely not been moving through school consistently. She does math, handwriting practice, and reads everyday. I make sure she is well supplied with rich, age appropriate literature, so during the day she is not doing fluff reading. Evenings she can read what ever she wants.

She is behind in math b/c we did not do math everyday last year, but she is plowing through where she is at and will quickly catch up. She does the science on her own. The curriculum is a bit easy for her.

History and Bible and Spelling - yeah, those don't happen more than once a week b/c they require us to sit together. :so embarrassed to admit that!!:

DS5 is just now starting kindergarten. I posted recently that he didn't seem ready, well the switch must have flipped because he is ready now.

I have no idea how to actually make it happen consistently, though. I'm tired! Encourage, admonish, help away. I do want to do better!

You do more than me, if that helps!! Today was great for us b/c we hit read-alouds, art, copywork, memory work, AND science. *gasp* *shock*! That's the most we've done in weeks. Seriously. Usually we do read-alouds & maybe 1 other subject daily (K work). I got more done today b/c I started tying it together into my own unit study. We read the book, we have to do the matching activities that day.

:tongue_smilie: yeah not proud of my schooling slothfulnes this year. It has been chaotic and emotional to say the least, and when I get a chance to sit and do school I would rather do something enjoyable. I have put away most parent intensive curriculum and substituted it with more independent lead core. The same will most likely happen again next year. I am preparing now for our new baby, and for our girls to be much more independent. While I do school with my ds who will be in K.

I really hate grading papers right now, I have almost no motivation.

My motto this year was 'simplify all things.'

I think the main question is if you're happy with what you do? You certainly don't sound academically negligent - your dd is 8 and can read. She is mostly on grade level with math. She gets lots of literature and does some science and history. Sounds like you're good. If she's happy and you're happy... then relax!

I think the main question is if you're happy with what you do? You certainly don't sound academically negligent - your dd is 8 and can read. She is mostly on grade level with math. She gets lots of literature and does some science and history. Sounds like you're good. If she's happy and you're happy... then relax!

I'm not happy with our progress. DD8 is really smart and I feel like I'm holding her back. I don't know what level she is reading at, but she read unabridged versions of The Secret Garden and A Little Princess last year, both in less than a week.

She loves History and Bible lessons. I just haven't figured out how to get everything done. It should get better since dh is only rarely traveling and i have put photography on hold. We will school through the summer and be all caught up for 4th grade. At least that is the plan.

We are at the gym 2 afternoons a week (she is on team with gymnastics) but that is our only activity right now. I still feel like I'm not challenging her enough or giving her enough time. Keeping track of the littles and housework and yeah. =(

Well, you could get the Story of the World on audio. That would take care of history.

Spelling workbooks are cheap and easily found. Here's a freebie:

http://www.mhschool.com/reading/treasure_workbooks/national/g3/spelling_pb.pdf There are also online spelling practice sites. Here's one we use. http://www.spellingconnectionsonline.com/default.php I registered as a teacher for free, so I can keep track of my son's progress.

That leaves Bible. If you haven't already read it to her, the Jesus Storybook Bible is a must. I've read it to my 9 year old 2 or 3 times, and he'll be reading it himself once more. He's reading the Read and Grow Picture Bible now. He's also reading a book called Bible Facts that tells about life in Bible times. Leading Little Ones to God is excellent as well. It's next on my list to read to him. He could read it himself, but I think it will be better together. I would just browse and find something that you like that she could read herself.

Don't beat yourself up. She's doing great.

Jennifer

Why are you so tired? Fixing that will probably solve your problem :)

:grouphug:

Rosie

She has 4 kids and if her oldest are 8 and 5, then that would mean there are some littles in the mix. I think that probably explains it! lol

And if you do have 2 littles in the mix, I'm super impressed that you've gotten that far! :001_wub:

I've been a total slacker this year, too. I'm trying to make changes and the kids are fighting it. sigh. not fun. But we'll get there. "I think I can, I think I can". I have to pep talk myself every day (parent/teacher conference?) My 10yo even wrote on her paper yesterday: "you can do it" when she saw I was frustrated, lol. I'm just fitting in as much as I can each day, and when we reach baby's naptime, I call us done for the day. If your dd seems to be doing well with spelling once per week, then I'd go with it. Some kids do well with study-test, so handing out a list at the beginning of the week and then testing her at the end might be enough (that's what we've been attempting lately). One day of science and history sounds pretty good - you could always aim for 1 more day if it would help you to feel better. Sounds like math is fine if you are seeing progress. So I wouldn't worry. If adding in another day of something would make you feel better about your homeschool though, then try to work something in.

No brilliant advice, just a big :grouphug:! I've BTDT. Don't beat yourself up. Just keep moving in a forward direction.

SWO works nicely as a mostly independent spelling program here, and if you point out (read it together & discuss) or have them copy the phonics rules at the top of ea. list it covers a tiny pinch of phonics review.

I know you've got a herd of littles, but Rosie is onto something here. There might be some simple things you can do to maximize your energy/alertness or even your sleep (when you get it).

:grouphug: and best wishes!

I would drop the program for pre-K. And I would think about using something less time-consuming than MFW for K. That will give more time to focus on catching up the 8 yo.

Start with just disciplining yourself to get the basics done each day. For an 8 yo, that should probably be math, spelling, Bible, and handwriting. After a few weeks of diligence, add history and science once a week.

We're in almost the same boat :D Andrew is 9, Luke is 4, Jo is 14.

Here's how we do this ;) :

9:30 (I know, way early)... Reading - that's everyone. Luke works on OPGtTR and ETC, Jo reads whatever for Lit, Andrew reads whatever for Lit.

10:00... Andrew starts work on Spelling (another alone subject)... Luke works on 'math'.... Jo still reads (she gets an hour).

10:30... Andrew does his history reading and writing... Luke's on break (running through the house screaming)... Jo and I start in on Algebra.

11:00... Andrew does his science work (more alone time)... Luke's kicked outside... Jocelyn and I continue to battle the dragon that is Algebra.

11:30... Andrew and I get started on math (my schedule really rocks)... Jocelyn works on Logic, Latin, Writing, and Vocab (she does all those on her own).... oh, by this point Luke's forgotten...:lol:

12:00... More math fun with Andrew... Jo's still doing her solo work... Luke's hopefully in his room listening to books on cd and building scary things with Legos...

12:30... FOOD BREAK the most exciting part of the day.

1ish... (the times get very vague from here on out) Andrew and I do writing together... Jocelyn starts working on History or Science... Luke is given anything to do at the table...

1:30orso... Andrew, Jocelyn and I work on Grammar... Luke works on parroting the lesson back along with them ;)

2ish... Jo finishes up whatever needs to get done. The boys work on Art.

3 at the latest... We escape to the outside world to breath fresh air and relax.

I hope our schedule helps. The times are REALLY tentative. Some days we get done much faster. Some days we end up working equations well into the evening.

Do you hs year round? That can make a BIG difference. We don't have the same sort of pressure, because we take a week off every month (with extra time to spare for vacations ;) ).

Sometimes you just have to commit to *doing* it for a period of time. No excuses, no slacking. Even if you're "tired" or "distracted" or whatever... But once you've *done* it for a while, you'll find it just isn't so hard any more.

Maybe *plan* for regular breaks. 5 weeks on, doing school *every* day (or 4 solid days plus one planned enrichment / field trip day), then 1 week completely off (or finishing up anything that got set aside during your five weeks). Facing a whole semester could be overwhelming -- but you can DO five weeks! :D Knowing that there's a break coming up will help you through the days when you just don't wanna. (And trust me, I knoooow about Don't Wanna days!) :)

Then establish a *workable* routine. Attach the things you want to add in to your days to things that already get done consistently. Like mealtimes. So suddenly breakfast becomes the time of day when you sit down and read aloud Bible to both kids. They eat, you read, you all discuss. Then you're already started *together*. So you attach the next thing (let's say math) on after that. Perhaps you send your older child to make her bed or do another simple chore while you do some simple math play with the Ker for a few minutes. Then you get him set up with something he can continue to work on for a few minutes while you do math with your dd.

If you have a pattern that's simple and consistent, it'll be a *lot* easier than trying to "fit stuff in" all day.

Over lunch, read history aloud to them and discuss.

Don't start with a schedule that gives you heart palpitations. :) But figure out what needs to be done and how to slot it into the day you already have in such a way that it will help keep you honest.

If you make a poster board with your daily or weekly schedule, the *kids* will help keep you accountable too. They'll say, "Mom! Aren't we supposed to work on our memory verses now?" :) And then you'll be proud of them and feel slightly guilty ;) and you'll get it done.

And once you've been getting it done for a while, you'll feel so *accomplished* and proud, you won't *Want* to slack on your scheduled school days! At least not all the time. ;)

Sometimes you just have to commit to *doing* it for a period of time. No excuses, no slacking. Even if you're "tired" or "distracted" or whatever... But once you've *done* it for a while, you'll find it just isn't so hard any more.

Maybe *plan* for regular breaks. 5 weeks on, doing school *every* day (or 4 solid days plus one planned enrichment / field trip day), then 1 week completely off (or finishing up anything that got set aside during your five weeks). Facing a whole semester could be overwhelming -- but you can DO five weeks! :D Knowing that there's a break coming up will help you through the days when you just don't wanna. (And trust me, I knoooow about Don't Wanna days!) :)

Then establish a *workable* routine. Attach the things you want to add in to your days to things that already get done consistently. Like mealtimes. So suddenly breakfast becomes the time of day when you sit down and read aloud Bible to both kids. They eat, you read, you all discuss. Then you're already started *together*. So you attach the next thing (let's say math) on after that. Perhaps you send your older child to make her bed or do another simple chore while you do some simple math play with the Ker for a few minutes. Then you get him set up with something he can continue to work on for a few minutes while you do math with your dd.

If you have a pattern that's simple and consistent, it'll be a *lot* easier than trying to "fit stuff in" all day.

Over lunch, read history aloud to them and discuss.

Don't start with a schedule that gives you heart palpitations. :) But figure out what needs to be done and how to slot it into the day you already have in such a way that it will help keep you honest.

If you make a poster board with your daily or weekly schedule, the *kids* will help keep you accountable too. They'll say, "Mom! Aren't we supposed to work on our memory verses now?" :) And then you'll be proud of them and feel slightly guilty ;) and you'll get it done.

And once you've been getting it done for a while, you'll feel so *accomplished* and proud, you won't *Want* to slack on your scheduled school days! At least not all the time. ;)

This is really good advice. I need to do a few of these things, I think it could help us out a bit. :) Thank you.

I haven't started homeschooling yet, but I feel your pain as far as being a stay at home mom sometimes. I had realized that I was actually a little bit depressed and that was my problem. I started making an effort to schedule playdates (a reason to keep my house clean too). I got outside every day. I started to take some time for myself (reading, knitting, taking a hot bath) every day. Maybe you just need a vacation to recharge. Look at what it is that is making you feel tired. Maybe adding exercise or eating better would help. I have totally been there (off and on my whole life). I am a slacker/procrastinator by trade!

Anyway, it sounds like you are covering the basics. Your child is smart and loves to learn. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I would just look at your reasons for feeling the way you are and try to change your situation. I have been working on that myself and it has definitely been worth it! Best of luck. I'll send some prayers your way.

Don't know if this will apply to you or not, but I have found that making a loose schedule (more like a routine) and starting FIRST THING in the morning has helped. So we eat breakfast as soon as the kids come downstairs, I read Bible during breakfast, we sing a couple hymns (we work on the same two all week, then do two new ones the next week). As soon as breakfast and Bible are over, we start math. My 4 year old is just starting to do some "school" M/W/F, so if it's one of those days, I do his math first (RS A), then I get my oldest's morning work out of the way. We do math, grammar, and reading. Then we do a long break. After lunch, I put my youngest down for a nap, then get everything else done with my oldest and do a reading lesson with the middle one (if it's M/W/F). We're usually done by 2pm or earlier, and that includes doing history and science (we do history M/W and science T/Th).

I also have an assignment list printed out for each day, so we don't miss anything. But overall, we have that routine of doing those first 3 subjects in the morning, then the rest after lunch during nap time (so little one is out of my hair). Even if he doesn't nap at some point, he'll still get quiet time. My 4 year old was still getting quiet time until this week when I started letting him "do school".

If we slack and don't get school started until 9:30 or 10, it ruins our day and makes getting things done much harder. We really do best if we start very early.

:grouphug: Thank you! I feel better just knowing someone (many someone's actually) took the time to reply.

Lots of good advice. I will be reading through your replies slowly and seeing what changes we can make.

My husband took a new job (much, much less traveling) and he won't be working as much. :001_smile: His better schedule is smoothing out the wrinkles in our family schedule. Yay!

And now that I've stopped taking clients for photography, life is much more peaceful in general. I was working a ton and editing and working on business mostly through the middle of the night, then still trying to be mom and teacher during the day.

I think I've been in rebound, catch up mode. Thank you for this encouragement.

We've been re-arranging our house a little this year. Are shopping for a new dining table (we don't have a dedicated school room) that will work better for us. Our current table is pretty and large, but has a sticky surface due to being coated with the wrong type of sealer (they had tried to do an antique finish). You wouldn't believe how bothersome such a little thing is! We use smoothe plastic placemats for school time, but every once in a while someone's homework gets stuck like glue.

I fell off the health wagon and have been eating junk, but as of today I'm back to eating Primal/Paleo/Nourishing Traditions style to help with energy. It works well with my littles ones food allergies and I feel better when I avoid junk, grains, and starchy foods.

She has 4 kids and if her oldest are 8 and 5, then that would mean there are some littles in the mix. I think that probably explains it! lol

There's that :D

What I meant was that a change of breakfast routine or something might go a long way toward helping, especially if insomnia is a problem.

Rosie

There's that :D

What I meant was that a change of breakfast routine or something might go a long way toward helping, especially if insomnia is a problem.

Rosie

Gosh, Rosie, you have littles, too, LOL. Where's the embarrassed smilie? I think I wrote that at 4am.