Menu

Military question-moving on base

My dh has been in the AF for 16 years. We have been in a rental house for 6 months and are getting ready to move into base housing (or post housing, since it's an Army post). He called TMO (traffic management office) to arrange for the packers/movers and was told "the military doesn't pay for your move from off post into post housing".

This is our first time living in military housing, but I ALWAYS thought that if you were on the wait list for housing and you got in they (the military) packed and moved you.

Dh is going to make some more phone calls tomorrow, but I'm stressing out. We can't afford to pay movers.

Thanks!

Jennifer

This was the policy 8 years ago - we had friends who did it. So unless its changed...

I've noticed a lot in dealing with TMO that the answer you get depends on who you talk to. We've gotten some wacky answers in the past.

That!

They did not move us from house to house when DH got promoted and we qualified for better housing. Perhaps this is similar in their eyes? I would keep asking until you get a NO from several different people. :)

My dh has been in the AF for 16 years. We have been in a rental house for 6 months and are getting ready to move into base housing (or post housing, since it's an Army post). He called TMO (traffic management office) to arrange for the packers/movers and was told "the military doesn't pay for your move from off post into post housing".

This is our first time living in military housing, but I ALWAYS thought that if you were on the wait list for housing and you got in they (the military) packed and moved you.

Dh is going to make some more phone calls tomorrow, but I'm stressing out. We can't afford to pay movers.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Much will depend on the documents that you signed when you went onto the waiting list (for example was your family offered *anything* that was appropriate for grade and family size). On our last post if you rejected one offer because it wasn't the closest housing area or was a tower instead of a townhouse, they might not have moved you on base. If there was nothing for your family, then they might have.

But in any event, I don't think the moves were handled by TMO. They were local moves contracted by the housing office. So I would check with them (and dig out those papers from when you checked into the command and went onto the wait list).

Since housing INCONUS is now handled by public private venture (PPV) companies, there may be other quirks.

FWIW, we were in military housing that we had to move out of for renovations. The PPV company paid a local mover to move us. It was a crazy move, but was one of the gentlest US moves we've had.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Sorry it took me a couple of days to get back here!

As soon as we arrived in San Antonio we went on the waiting list, before we rented a house. And we haven't declined any other houses on post.

DH is making more phone calls today, so hopefully we will have this figured out soon.

Everyone I've talked to that has moved off post into housing has been moved without charge. Maybe we just got some misinformation.

Jennifer