Menu

Need science help. Never seen this question before.

Alicia64

Dh is a science guy to the core. He agreed in the beginning to handle science for our kids. Duh. It sure shouldn't be me.

Two years into it, Dh takes the boys to a science museum, plays Snap Circuits and essentially infuses science into their lives whenever he can. . .

BUT. I'm the "check-the-box" type of gal. And I'd like Dh to be using some sort of science curriculum w/ the boys so that I can feel like, "okay, we just hit everything for second grade we're supposed to hit." Give or take. Nothing has to be precise, but I'd like some kind of box to check.

Any suggestions for a science curriculum for a hard core science guy like my husband? He loves all science except botany or biology. Loves chemistry, physics etc.

TIA,

Alley

I'll bet your kids are getting more science than public school kids.

Why don't you just find one of those lists that says what your second grader should know, and just check those off periodically?

Adding a curriculum might stifle the great science that is going on right now. I wouldn't mess with it, personally. Get some library books on the topics your husband doesn't do, and relax. :)

I'll bet your kids are getting more science than public school kids.

Why don't you just find one of those lists that says what your second grader should know, and just check those off periodically?

Adding a curriculum might stifle the great science that is going on right now. I wouldn't mess with it, personally. Get some library books on the topics your husband doesn't do, and relax. :)

:iagree:

They are still young. There is plenty of time left before you need to start checking the boxes. :)

If you're not "sciency" yourself but really want to check off a box (I know that impulse, because I share it!!!), maybe you can do just a teeny bit of science with them in a way that you could enjoy, but let dh keep doing what he's doing since it's working and they're enjoying it. For you, maybe something like, reading aloud to them from some living books about science topics (check Ambleside and mainlesson for ideas) would be better than trying to do a formal science curriculum. You could pick from a broad range of topics, and therefore get that confidence of knowing that you're covering the bases.

If Dh is open to it, though, I think BFSU might work well for him.

http://bringinguplearners.com/2008/02/04/the-best-of-both-worlds-a-review-of-the-new-living-science-curriculum-building-foundations-of-scientific-understanding/

Just keep a log of what they've done science-wise in your planner. Like, Tuesday, 40 min. physics (snap circuits), or Friday, field trip to science museum. Have the kids narrate what they saw/did/learned on such trips.

Formal science for the early grades is boring and your husband's approach is likely to teach them more (it'll stick better) as well as be more fun.

Step AWAY from the science class! Sounds like your dh is doing an awesome job at interactive, hands-on science. If he's a hardcore science guy, then it's a bit insulting to suggest he needs backup from a 2nd grade text, kwim? He is 'doing science' the way it is supposed to be done, absolutely ideal for this age and many years to come. I know the lure of the checky boxes, truly I do, but you must resist. Keep an after-the-fact record, and then make an official, jargony list you can check off (played with snap circuits? Students will explore electricity and circuits, ideally culminating in an experiment that shows the effects of open and closed circuits. Check!)

Seriously, he said he would handle science, and he's doing a great job. Just smile and say thanks, maybe bring him a nice hot cup of tea in appreciation ;)