Menu

Therapeutic Riding for disabilities; anyone do this?

Therapeutic horse back riding is wonderful for children with disabilities. My son has cerebral palsy and epilepsy.

My fifteen-year-old daughter volunteers each week at the same facility. She is learning so much being around children with so many differing abilities.

I would check to see if they are certified. I don't remember what the name of the certification is but it means they have trained with a national organization and are held to a standard.

HTH,

Elise in NC

I have been involved with NARHA as an instructor. I would also suggest getting them both in if: the 5yr old wants to and it is convient for you as a family. Meaning this horseback riding is very beneficial in areas of cognitive and spacial awerness and thinking skills, not to mention the physical benefits. Plus, emotionaly there is osmething healing just being around them ;)

If you and your other dd just want some therapy/bonding time, that is perfectly acceptable to.

It is WONDERFUL. We first met our now 23ds at a therapeutic riding center where his foster parents had him taking lessons--that was at age 7.

My 15dd started therapeutic riding lessons on her 3rd birthday and has ridden ever since. 14dd didn't start until she was about 5 as she had a lot of allergies when she was younger.

Just a warning----it is addictive. We are now to the point where we adopted our own therapeutic riding horse for my 15dd from the place where she used to ride. She just LOVED BJ--a 30 year old 16hh QH gelding. SHe had him for 1 1/2 years before we had to put him down. She now has Chip, a 28 year old QH gelding to call her own. My 14dd has her own horse as well and that pony has taken her from riding on a lead line to loping bareback.

Have the kids particapate in as much of the horse care as they can as it really develops a lot of skills and is FUN for them---and I think important for learning just how much work a horse is.

Keep us posted. I would suggest finding boots for them to ride in--much safe than tennis shoes. I am assuming that they require helmets, if not, get your own.

Thanks for all the replies. DD 5 absolutely is in love with horses. I thought it would be best to get them both in because there are times she is left out or pushed aside (not on purpose) because something is going on at the moment that needs our attention with other dd.

Yes, they said get boots, long pants and they supply the helmet if we do not have one. and yes again about owning, my dh said, "you know, they are going to want their own horses." :tongue_smilie: I said, "It won't happen for many years...I hope." :001_smile:

Yes, the long pants and the boots are a must. Check with local feed stores, 4H groups, or the therapeutic riding center for local "tack sales". These are HUGE horsey garage sales with all manner of boots, helmets, and other horsey stuff at huge discounts. I try to pick up riding boots there for the next few sizes up when I can find them for about $5/pair.

Will the girls ride English or Western? That will dicate the "look" you want---if you want to get into that as really they can ride in either type saddle with any pants and boots.

As to getting their own horses, I would say 10 for a "normal" kid and a bit older for a child with special needs unless mom (or dad) wants to do all the work. Even then you still need to provide a ton of supervision and still do most of the work. My girls were 10 and 11 when they got their first pony to share and then at 12 and 13 they each had their own.

I have a scholarship going in for my girls to start this. my 7 yr. old is adhd/pdd and my 5 yr. old is fine but the person I talked to told me to try to get both in. :001_smile: We have an appointment to visit on Saturday.

Anyone here do this for their child/children?

I volunteer for a theraputic riding school and it is wonderful!! I have learned so much from the kids there and I have helped so many kids learn to walk, talk, use their motor skills, and so many other things that the kids have accomplished.

I know I shouldn't have thought this, but I thought kids that were disabled couldn't do many things. ANd boy was I wrong!!!!!!! I am glad that I volunteer there and will never stop. It is a great program and I know that your dc will enjoy and will be able to get alot out of it.

My friend's son receives equestrian for many motor and cognitive issues related to an inoperable benign brain tumor. He has benefited greatly from equestrian therapy. The place where he goes encourages siblings to participate because they suffer stress from being in a family of someone with special needs. It helps them feel that they are special and important, too. I have been fortunate to help with fundraising at this center so that they can provide scholarships for families who cannot afford these services.

I know I shouldn't have thought this, but I thought kids that were disabled couldn't do many things. ANd boy was I wrong!!!!!!!.

This is one reason why riding is SO good for my 15dd. She has pretty severe issues with stuttering and is also cognitively impaired. That said, she has LED trail rides on her horse with other "normal" kids following behind because she was the better rider and knew how to navigate the hills, brush, etc.

Riding has given her something she can do with "normal" kids and it is even something that she can be BETTER at than many kids.

I have a scholarship going in for my girls to start this. my 7 yr. old is adhd/pdd and my 5 yr. old is fine but the person I talked to told me to try to get both in. :001_smile: We have an appointment to visit on Saturday.

Anyone here do this for their child/children?

I worked for years at a Therapeutic Riding Facility. The results that were achieved with all kinds of disabilities (mental & physical) were simply mind boggling. It brought tears to my eyes to see a little girl walk without leg braces after 2 semesters of riding when her Dad had to carry her to the horse for the first semester. PM me if you wish.

We went to hand in the scholarship papers and the girls got to ride the horses! They brushed them got them all ready and rode them for about 1 hour. They didn't just ride, they had them do things for balance etc. My 5 yr. old said her hands smelled like horses and she would never wash them again! :D Katie, the one we really want to do this was very quiet but by the time we left she was bonding...all ready! She was snuggling him....I want to cry. ;) I will find out Sunday night or Monday about the scholar. The lady seemed confident that we will be back there on Wednesday.

P.S. I took my neighbor who owned, rode, horses when she was younger and she said the place is on the up and up...everything looked and seems great. She said the young ladies did a great job with the horses and the kids.