Menu

question about silicone bakeware

I haven't noticed an aftertaste with my muffin cups, but last time my husband thought they tasted like I had Pamed them.

I don't know about safety issues, but I do know I can't find them in the same stores that carried them a few years back. Persoanlly, I love my muffin/cupcake cups, but the cheap <3 shaped cake form turned out bad (but maybe it was the cake recipe I was using...)

I got rid of the silicon caking set I had. It was a nice set with large square pans, round pans, muffin pans and all. But it smelled like burning plastic or chemicals while baking, and the food tasted the same way. The fumes were horrible and even my dc commented on how bad it smelled. The pans were hard to handle when they had cake or muffin mix in them and they folded on themselves. Food stuck on the pans. I got rid of them. They were not worth the hassle.

It depends on who makes them. I bought a Demarle muffin pan and the perforated metal sheet to go with it from a home show several years ago. It is wonderful--no need for Pam, muffins release easily, and the clean-up is easy. No weird odor or taste. My mil once got me Kitchenaid bread pans. Horrible odor, very "chemicalish". The Demarle representative said that is due to additives in their silicone. She said that if you can bend the pan and see white, you don't want to get it. The real silicone is natural stuff--same as sand. Same as parchment paper. That's what I remember of the spiel anyway. I've been pleased with my purchase.

It depends on who makes them. I bought a Demarle muffin pan and the perforated metal sheet to go with it from a home show several years ago. It is wonderful--no need for Pam, muffins release easily, and the clean-up is easy. No weird odor or taste. My mil once got me Kitchenaid bread pans. Horrible odor, very "chemicalish". The Demarle representative said that is due to additives in their silicone. She said that if you can bend the pan and see white, you don't want to get it. The real silicone is natural stuff--same as sand. Same as parchment paper. That's what I remember of the spiel anyway. I've been pleased with my purchase.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Demarle!!!! My muffins fall right out and taste great. I've got several other molds as well - the flower mold, the daisy mold, the mini-muffin tray. I've never tried any other brands so can't comment or compare - just wanted to say Demarle products are top of the line. (They are the makers of the Silpat, btw.) They are pricey - I used to be a rep so got them cheap. Look on ebay if you want to save a bit.

http://www.demarleathome.com

thanks for the varying opinions...it seems that just like everything else, you get what you pay for.

Yes, that's so true. Frustrating, too, because the cost of Demarle is somewhat of a shock. I will say though, that when I was selling it (not sure about now) the trays and molds (not the silpats) had lifetime warranties. Also, the joy of not having to grease those little muffin sections and not having to pick and scrape off the batter that went astray is sooooo worth it. You don't have to grease the muffin tray at all and it takes about 15 seconds to wash the thing. Ahhhh.....

I sold a lot of my molds because I just didn't need that much of a variety, but you will have to pry my muffin tray (and mini-muffin tray) from my cold dead fingers.:D