Menu

Anybody in the Northwest corner of Arkansas?

My husband and I will be moving there in about a year. I'm trying to research where we want to move to. Here are my 'wishes' for a place to live:

Beautiful..mountainy

Opportunities for hiking, water activities, etc

snow a few times a year

close enough to a city that we can get to it for activities for homeschool (i.e. homeschool groups, museums, etc) at least within 45 minutes or so

far enough away from a city so that we can have a farm

Where would be a good place to go? It's so hard to look online!!

Thanks

Stephenie

I lived in Bentonville for about a year and will probably be moving to Fayetteville in a year from now. My in-laws live there now and have for over 10 years.

I'd say you could find any of that anywhere around Bentonville or Fayetteville. There are more regular neighborhood-like places, but you could also live in the country. It's all in the Ozarks, which are beautiful. For example, my in-laws' house is 5 minutes from town, but they are surrounded by trees and have a creek that runs through their property. There are tons of wildlife and beautiful walking trails all over the place. Over Christmas we went and saw the new art museum they are building and it looks AMAZING. Seriously. If our family could end up in NWA, I would love that. I think you will be happy with your options there.

ETA: My husband suggests specifically that you look into Centerton, which is growing rapidly but still has land and stuff available, or Pea Ridge. Really, though, I think you'll be happy with your options there.

ETA: The art museum is called Crystal Bridges. Seriously check it out. I'm so excited to live up there in a few years.

Edited by MeaganS

I grew up in Arkansas and I would have to say that the Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers area would fit the bill for all of that! The Fort Smith area would have everything on your list except the mountains and the snow. Ft. Smith is on the Arkansas River so it is more flat, but the mountains are close (30 minutes away or so). If I had my choice of being able to move back to Arkansas and live anywhere in the state I wanted, then I would choose to live in the Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers area just because there is so much to do but country living is just a short drive out of town! However, the cost of living in that area is the most expensive in the state, so hopefully your dh is getting a good job in the area :) I might be biased here as well, but you will not find nicer, kinder people than the ones who live in Arkansas :001_smile:

I grew up in Arkansas and I would have to say that the Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers area would fit the bill for all of that! The Fort Smith area would have everything on your list except the mountains and the snow. Ft. Smith is on the Arkansas River so it is more flat, but the mountains are close (30 minutes away or so). If I had my choice of being able to move back to Arkansas and live anywhere in the state I wanted, then I would choose to live in the Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers area just because there is so much to do but country living is just a short drive out of town! However, the cost of living in that area is the most expensive in the state, so hopefully your dh is getting a good job in the area :) I might be biased here as well, but you will not find nicer, kinder people than the ones who live in Arkansas :001_smile:

He has also mentioned Springdale a lot. Sounds like we are on the right track (except for Fort Smith. I'll cross that one out. I want to be able to look out my kitchen window at mountains and deer, etc). He's coming into a job where we can live wherever we want to live in the country. Arkansas is where we are settling b/c it'll be 2.5 hours or so from my mom (perfect distance..rofl) and still get what we want out of terrain, etc. I have lived in South Louisiana my entire life. I'm ready for something pretty and snowy (sometimes..rofl)

He has also mentioned Springdale a lot. Sounds like we are on the right track (except for Fort Smith. I'll cross that one out. I want to be able to look out my kitchen window at mountains and deer, etc). He's coming into a job where we can live wherever we want to live in the country. Arkansas is where we are settling b/c it'll be 2.5 hours or so from my mom (perfect distance..rofl) and still get what we want out of terrain, etc. I have lived in South Louisiana my entire life. I'm ready for something pretty and snowy (sometimes..rofl)

They got plenty of snow this year (like everybody else around the country). My sister lives in Eureka Springs (close to the Fayetteville area) and they had about 20 inches of total snow this winter. That doesn't happen very often in Arkansas! As for living in South Louisiana and moving to Northwest Arkansas, it will be quite a change in terrain for sure. I live in the Houston area now and boy, do I miss those mountains (I grew up in the Ozarks). I've never felt really at home here and I know it's cause there are no hills!

Good idea crossing Ft. Smith off the list. I lived there and wouldn't move back. It's not a pretty city. It doesn't have the mountains, and it didn't have the sort of cultural advantages I enjoy. It has a lot of stores, factories, and subdivisions.

There's something to be said for mountains. I've lived in two mountainous areas in my life, and those were the places I felt most at home. We don't have mountains here, either, and I really, really miss them.

I I might be biased here as well, but you will not find nicer, kinder people than the ones who live in Arkansas :001_smile:

Well, she did love opera and loved visiting Moscow (Russia, not Idaho) but my mother didn't like it there. They spent 24 years near Bentonville and she once (only once) told me "I used to call it the armpit of culture, but now I'd call it something lower down". She also noted what she called "Arky" help. If you hired someone to build you a wall, you may or may not see them in the next six months, and their phone may or may not still be in working order. Not that they ran off with money, they were just--mellow. It got to the point the folks would set up what needed to be done, and when a strapping young person visited them, they earned their keep. :)

We lived in AR for 7 years, in a beautiful, mountainous area between Fayetteville and Ft. Smith. Our town was tiny (Mountainburg) and there are tiny towns all up the highway towards Fayetteville. Some beautiful views as you drive that way, and there is a nice state park there, too.

We have mountain property right above Huntsville in Madison County. Very mountainous, very beautiful, but, VERY rural, VERY small-town. And, for me, it has always seemed too remote.

However, the nice thing is it is just a short (25-30 min), easy drive to Fayetteville/Springdale since they built/redid the new HWY 412.

The Fayetteville/Springdale/Bentonville/Rogers areas have grown and changed in leaps and bounds in the last decade or so. I could not believe the changes I saw when we visited last year.

Madison County property is probably less expensive than Benton County (Bentonville), and Washington County (Fayetteville), but close enough to those areas for shopping, entertainment, etc.

I grew up in Springdale, went to college in Fayetteville. My parents still live there and have for the last 40 years. It has really grown over the last few years. Beautiful area, lots to do with it being a college town(GO HOGS!). They have had a lot of snow this year but they have four seasons. My husband and I lived in Shreveport and then Lafayette for about 5 years. LOVED the food in Lafayette and miss it but now we live in IL. We want to move a little further south as we love it in the south but enjoy the four seasons. Arkansas will offer that. Great camping, hiking and biking areas.

Good bookstores, and restaurants as well. My mom has mentioned that homeschooling is growing in that area as well. I would love to live there!!!