Menu

9th grade- a doable schedule

This is a schedule for my middle child who will be in 9th next year. He hates math and science. He reads constantly: Agatha Christie, David McCullough, Jeff Shaara, etc. If he likes the subject he is writing about, his writing is REALLY good. If he doesn't, it is really bad. He is horribly disorganized. Trying to get him to keep a planner means checking twice a day to make sure he has it filled in. We have a joke around here based on the movie, Up. I can ask him to do something and something will distract him from it. I look at him and say, "Squirrel." He laughs and gets back on task. Our relationship is better this year than last, but if there is tough math or science concept, he will not listen to me. You can see his brain turn off. I have to wait until dh has time to help him.

I'm a little worried that this schedule is too tough, but I don't know..

AP Government- PA homeschoolers, will be taken with his brother

Spanish I and II a the local CC with his brother and a couple of others from our homeschool co-op. She is a great teacher and although he kicked and screamed and said, "No, I'll fail." He decided he would rather do it now with his brother and friends to study with than take it by himself later. Suddenly he has taken his SOS Spanish work seriously...no more days going by with no work. He has diligently been working on it without my nagging him. I think he is really scared about this class.

PE- At CC

Health- Total Health- easy

TT Geometry- Hoping it will be ok.. I know he can't handle Chalkdust Geometry. It will still be a struggle. He may need brother to tutor him through this if he has time

Apologia Biology- He hates Physical Science right now because of all the math. I think he will like Biology better. He can memorize terms, but he may faint when he sees the amount of terms. We'll do this at home on our own pace.. I guess. Though I dont' do labs.. Dh will just have to do them as he can with him.

Sound reasonable for a disorganized boy? I'm not sure what we would give up if it isn't. He is really going to have to step it up a notch. But he is smart. He received state commendation last year as a 7th grader for his SAT scores from Duke. He made a 520 on reading 490 on writing and 450 on math. ( I was actually really pleased with his math score..I expected a 200.)

Christine

Is he taking two years of High School/college Spanish in the space of one year? I am not sure I would do that. But if Spanish I and II are semester classes, that is different.

I think Geometry, Biology, History, PE/health with a foreign language is a pretty standard Freshman schedule. Did you have any thing for English/literature/writing?

This is a schedule for my middle child who will be in 9th next year. He hates math and science. He reads constantly: Agatha Christie, David McCullough, Jeff Shaara, etc. If he likes the subject he is writing about, his writing is REALLY good. If he doesn't, it is really bad. He is horribly disorganized. Trying to get him to keep a planner means checking twice a day to make sure he has it filled in. We have a joke around here based on the movie, Up. I can ask him to do something and something will distract him from it. I look at him and say, "Squirrel." He laughs and gets back on task. Our relationship is better this year than last, but if there is tough math or science concept, he will not listen to me. You can see his brain turn off. I have to wait until dh has time to help him.

I'm a little worried that this schedule is too tough, but I don't know..

AP Government- PA homeschoolers, will be taken with his brother

Spanish I and II a the local CC with his brother and a couple of others from our homeschool co-op. She is a great teacher and although he kicked and screamed and said, "No, I'll fail." He decided he would rather do it now with his brother and friends to study with than take it by himself later. Suddenly he has taken his SOS Spanish work seriously...no more days going by with no work. He has diligently been working on it without my nagging him. I think he is really scared about this class.

PE- At CC

Health- Total Health- easy

TT Geometry- Hoping it will be ok.. I know he can't handle Chalkdust Geometry. It will still be a struggle. He may need brother to tutor him through this if he has time

Apologia Biology- He hates Physical Science right now because of all the math. I think he will like Biology better. He can memorize terms, but he may faint when he sees the amount of terms. We'll do this at home on our own pace.. I guess. Though I dont' do labs.. Dh will just have to do them as he can with him.

Sound reasonable for a disorganized boy? I'm not sure what we would give up if it isn't. He is really going to have to step it up a notch. But he is smart. He received state commendation last year as a 7th grader for his SAT scores from Duke. He made a 520 on reading 490 on writing and 450 on math. ( I was actually really pleased with his math score..I expected a 200.)

Christine

I had it on my sheet. English will be my creation of major works we didn't cover between 1750 to the present. We will cycle back through TOG starting with the ancients his 10th grade year. I will be working on having them take the AP Literature exam. Honestly, this will be his favorite class. He liked the TOG rhetoric literature he read for years 3 and 4. His favorite book this year has been Animal Farm :confused: ( sure not mine!) but he has loved them all even Gatsby.

Spanish I is fall semester and Spanish II is spring. That should be equal to two years for high school, correct? And most college degree plans just require 2 classes, right?

Christine

I think it's doable, though definitely a full schedule for a 9th grader. My kids have had similar 9th grade schedules, though the AP and CC classes are going to toughen it. My dd did AP Gov in 9th grade and did well, scoring well on the exam. I think it's one of the APs that can easily be tackled by a good student in 9th. (Plus ELECTION year next year so a fun year for government!) A couple of things to think about:

*perhaps he could knock out health over the summer so he can concentrate on his two APs, math, science and his CC foreign language.

*there will be time lost in commuting back and forth from the CC. This should be figured into his day. Especially if he needs help with organization, there may be lag time in getting restarted for the day when he gets home.

HTH,

Lisa

One thing I didn't put in this post, but did in my 11th graders is that I always start school at the end of July/ beginning of August. So he will have a full month of Health, math, English and Biology to get a really good start before the other classes start in September. I plan to have them do as much as possible of that Health book. I think it will be really easy..

Christine

*perhaps he could knock out health over the summer so he can concentrate on his two APs, math, science and his CC foreign language.

*there will be time lost in commuting back and forth from the CC. This should be figured into his day. Especially if he needs help with organization, there may be lag time in getting restarted for the day when he gets home.

HTH,

Lisa

Our CC doesn't allow kids before their Junior year of high school, we'll have to wait for dd to be able to go.

As long as his brother and the friends are willing to help him, it seems he could handle it, though I agree with remembering the travel and adjustment times to and from the CC.

I also think it's good he's working on his Spanish to be more prepared for the CC class!

Best wishes!