Menu

Trying to decide on science

jenn&charles

I'm trying to figure out what to do for science...

We have done the following things:

• Apologia General science (currently slogging through)

• Otter's human body study

• Physics (Real Science 4 Kids with lots of extras)

• Chemistry: A combo of Ellen Mc Henry's materials, Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry, tons of extras

• WP's Sea and Sky with lots of extras (so lots of marine, flight & space related science)

• WP's Animals/habitats (with tons of extras)

• Apologia Botany

• Apologia Astronomy, Real Science 4 Kids Astronomy (beta) with lots of extras

• SL science (K, 1, 2) *the old versions

• Lots of various kits for things like: magnets, electric circuits, germs, polymers, fossils, plants, raising frogs/butterflies/bugs - you name it, we've probably done it. I'm probably forgetting about 4-5 other science programs we've covered as well.

Otter LOVES science and I'm really stuck as to what to do next. I have Real Science 4 Kids biology, but honestly that will take us about 2-3 weeks to get through (not counting some of the longer projects) and he's already covered many of those subjects.

I've also thought about Apologia's zoology 1 and 3, but he's not too keen about studying animals right now.

I feel like it's time for him to go more in depth into something...I thought about attempting Conceptual Chemistry and just adding in lots of extras, but I'm not sure he's quite ready for that. Maybe??

He isn't enjoying Apologia's general science. He has covered a lot of the material and what he hasn't is well...pretty dry compared to how we are used to doing science.

I need some sort of base to expand on that I can add in lots of hands-on activities. It would also be nice if we were covering something new. Maybe geology?

He also wants to go more in depth for astronomy.

Anyway, pleeeeeeeeease give me some ideas. :bigear:

As I read through your list, I noticed that there was not much astronomy/earth science, so that would be something "new" and potentially "exciting" if he is already interested. :001_smile:

My sons are younger (9 and 7) and we are enjoying Elemental Science's Earth Science & Astronomy. Too young for Otter, but it has had me researching and I've found a couple of interesting books:

http://www.christianbook.com/signs-seasons-field-journal-manual-pack/jay-ryan/pd/792212?event=WL&item_code=WW

and

http://www.christianbook.com/astronomy-for-all-ages-second-edition/philip-harrington/9780762708093/pd/708093?event=WL&item_code=WW

I have NOT gotten them for myself to browse through (yet!), but they looked pretty good on a first run (late night!) research binge. ;)

Hope that helps a little . . . your science outlines & curricula have helped me, so if I can return a small favor, I am happy to do so! :D

As I read through your list, I noticed that there was not much astronomy/earth science, so that would be something "new" and potentially "exciting" if he is already interested. :001_smile:

My sons are younger (9 and 7) and we are enjoying Elemental Science's Earth Science & Astronomy. Too young for Otter, but it has had me researching and I've found a couple of interesting books:

http://www.christianbook.com/signs-seasons-field-journal-manual-pack/jay-ryan/pd/792212?event=WL&item_code=WW

and

http://www.christianbook.com/astronomy-for-all-ages-second-edition/philip-harrington/9780762708093/pd/708093?event=WL&item_code=WW

I have NOT gotten them for myself to browse through (yet!), but they looked pretty good on a first run (late night!) research binge. ;)

Hope that helps a little . . . your science outlines & curricula have helped me, so if I can return a small favor, I am happy to do so! :D

I agree, not much earth science. You have done some astronomy but no Geology. Not sure what program to use though (I am still trying to figure this one out) but the Tops Rocks unit is great and I was given some great advice on using the Boy Scout manuals for geology as a jumping point.

I will be watching you site to see what you put together if you go the geology route to see what you come up with. Actually I will be watching your site anyway, love your ideas.

• WP's Sea and Sky with lots of extras (so lots of marine, flight & space related science)

• WP's Animals/habitats (with tons of extras)

Not to sidetrack the thread, but I have a post on the "Logic" side about Winter Promise science. Did you like their science? We are looking at the "Sizzle, Solve and Survive" unit. Thanks!

First let me say we love Otter's book recommendations on Guesthollow.

This coming up year we are using CPO Earth Science and PH Astronomy. CPO is geared to Jr. High age kids, and is very much a real Science type of book. Not a lot of fluff. We like fluff, so we will also be adding in unit study on Fossils, Rocks, Volcano's ect... Plus tons of Videos, like fearless Planet, how the universe works, and when the earth erupts, among many others.

PH Astronomy is a little more fluffy, and there's a set of 5 (I think) about Earth Science, or if you can find it, an all in 1.

Physics (Real Science 4 Kids with lots of extras)

• Chemistry: A combo of Ellen Mc Henry's materials, Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry, tons of extras

I, too, thank you for the resource lists on Guesthollow. We are currently using many of the Chemistry books. I am also thankful for your link to this Chemistry program. We are planning to use your Physics recommendations soon. :001_smile:

Geology/ Earth Science is what I would recommend. Or you could spotlight a single aspect of Biology, study any part/ body system/ animal in great depth.. Doing a study of the Scientific Method in numerous experiments (predict outcomes and observe actual results)? Looks like you have covered a lot of the sciences already!

Robotics club? How about going into an area of existing interest in greater depth? How about organizing a group of MS HS'rs and see if you can get a dept at a local university to talk about CURRENT research and tour their labs? Most have some grad students they'll happily assign to such a thing. :D

Not to sidetrack the thread, but I have a post on the "Logic" side about Winter Promise science. Did you like their science? We are looking at the "Sizzle, Solve and Survive" unit. Thanks!

We enjoyed the animals program (which was the full program, not the habitats science they currently have) and enjoyed parts of sea & sky. I really added a lot to S&S and that made it even better and more suited to us. ;)

I personally don't like the Sizzle, Solve and Survive unit because all it is is a Thames and Konos kit with some extras (schedule and some sort of worktext). I'm not a huge fan of Thames and Konos kits. They look really great, but our experience with them has been mixed.

If you like the T&K kits though, it probably would be fun. For me personally, there just isn't enough in that program. I like to add in literature and other items.

As for their other programs that are specifically slated as science...I'm not a huge fan, but I'm not against them either.

I just personally like a ton of stuff and they don't totally fit the bill for me so I've never purchased them.

I do like some of the younger levels a little better, but nothing makes me go "wow".

Sorry I'm not much help with that. :)

You could take a look at Runkle's for Geography. I had my high schooler use it as a .5 credit with some extras, alongside Astronomy Today--it was very light for him (hence the extras) but I think a bright 6th grader could do very well in it. There are some hands-on activities in the book, and you could easily supplement with things from the web--like cooking, where you make various cookies illustrating the different kinds of rocks (a personal favorite! lol). If you get a rock/mineral kit to go with it, you can do the scratch tests, and dissolve the limestone, and stuff like that. Adding in local field trips to see geological layers or deposits could be fun, as would a trip to a local ore processing plant or other mining/crushing/rock processing place! (Can't remember what's around you, sorry.)

You could take a look at Runkle's for Geography. I had my high schooler use it as a .5 credit with some extras, alongside Astronomy Today--it was very light for him (hence the extras) but I think a bright 6th grader could do very well in it. There are some hands-on activities in the book, and you could easily supplement with things from the web--like cooking, where you make various cookies illustrating the different kinds of rocks (a personal favorite! lol). If you get a rock/mineral kit to go with it, you can do the scratch tests, and dissolve the limestone, and stuff like that. Adding in local field trips to see geological layers or deposits could be fun, as would a trip to a local ore processing plant or other mining/crushing/rock processing place! (Can't remember what's around you, sorry.)

Thanks for the suggestion!! I used that years ago with my big kids. I didn't even think of it! :)

I'll have to pull it off the shelf and see how it will work as a spine for some of the ideas that are churning around in my head.

I love the cookie idea. I'll definitely have to include that.