Menu

Another Kindergarten question - Life after Abeka?

IrresistibleGrace

I need help figuring out what to use with my ds this fall for 'kindergarten'. He turns 5 next month and has been doing some basic preK stuff with me but is not too far along yet. I hope to use this summer to push letter recognition.

My dd used Abeka (the complete 'boxed kit') for K - it was given to me by a friend and I didn't really know anything different so we used it. I soon discovered that I didn't really care for it, but we finished out K and I switched to an assortment of curriculum for 1st grade. [saxon1, FLL, OPGTR, SWO, SOTW1, HWOT, and a few misc. things] We have been MUCH happier with this arrangement!

The problem is - I don't know how much is too much for ds's K. I was thinking something along the lines of Saxon, OPGTR, and HWOT. I don't know what else we need. :confused:

Is it okay to start him with Saxon K?

Are kindies supposed to have Grammar or Spelling?

Should I move dd on with SOTW2 but go back and do SOTW1 with ds?

I am having trouble settling in on a science program with dd, so I don't even know where to start with ds. But that's for another thread!:D

TIA for any help.

My brain feels quite scrambled!

I don't bother w/ grammar or spelling for K. Personally, I think all you NEED to do for K is reading/phonics, math (keeping it simple...and not a ton of worksheets) and handwriting. You certainly CAN add in anything else that sounds fun (History, science, etc) but my kids never retained alot of that from K. ;)

Thank you homemama2!

I noticed you are doing SOTW1 with 1st and 3rd grader.

DD and I haven't gotten very far in our SOTW1 this year. I've considered just stopping, doing some misc. history (books from library) for dd next year - 2nd grade - and starting over with SOTW1 when dd is 3rd and ds is 1st. How is it working for your guys?

I need help figuring out what to use with my ds this fall for 'kindergarten'. He turns 5 next month and has been doing some basic preK stuff with me but is not too far along yet. I hope to use this summer to push letter recognition.

My dd used Abeka (the complete 'boxed kit') for K - it was given to me by a friend and I didn't really know anything different so we used it. I soon discovered that I didn't really care for it, but we finished out K and I switched to an assortment of curriculum for 1st grade. [saxon1, FLL, OPGTR, SWO, SOTW1, HWOT, and a few misc. things] We have been MUCH happier with this arrangement!

The problem is - I don't know how much is too much for ds's K. I was thinking something along the lines of Saxon, OPGTR, and HWOT. I don't know what else we need. :confused:

Is it okay to start him with Saxon K?

Are kindies supposed to have Grammar or Spelling?

Should I move dd on with SOTW2 but go back and do SOTW1 with ds?

I am having trouble settling in on a science program with dd, so I don't even know where to start with ds. But that's for another thread!:D

TIA for any help.

My brain feels quite scrambled!

K is such a fun sweet year! Watching the lightbulb come on as they learned to read is amazing. My recommendation is to to do math, a reading program (I love love Reading Made Easy) and handwriting. Then do your bible and living history books together with your daughter.

Most importantly.... Have fun with lots of snuggles!!!

For K we are focusing on Reading (OPGTR/ETC). We will also (slowly at her own pace) use:

Bible (Rod & Staff)

Rightstart Math A (My 4 yr old already LOVES this!!)

Elemental Science

HWT K

Songschool Latin (CD only)

Artistic Pursuits K-3

Wordly Wise 3000 K

No grammar or Spelling at this point

There's an outline in TWTM for K. I think you're supposed to start reading, math (which is numbers up to 100), and you could try some art, listening to classical music (30 min a week), maybe some memory work, nature walks, Charlotte Mason science, etc. Grammar starts in 1st grade. Latin in 3rd. I would start history in 1st, too.

I like K to be very light.

Do you have a copy of TWTM? Our library has it. There's a section in it on K.

Thanks so much guys! This is really helping me sort out what I want to do with ds.

starrbuck12 - I do have TWTM. I need to go back and relook at the K section, but I remember from the last time I read it that I couldn't 'translate' her reccommendations into what specific curriculum I felt like I needed for K.

Thanks again ladies!!! I knew you could help!!!