Menu

Singapore and state testing

joyfulhomeschooler

Just wondering how children doing singapore math do on state testing? We ar wanting to switch from Horizons to singapore. I know Horizons helps with good test scores... what about singapore? I am not seeing the understanding I would like to see with Horizons plus I don't like how many problems we have to cross out becuase it is too repetitive.

The US edition and the Standards edition have both metric and English measurements and US currency (the older 3rd edition from 1998 did not). There are Home Instructor's Guides available for both up to 5A, the HIG for the Standards edition is expected out this spring.

http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Primary_Math_s/15.htm#Comparison_with_other_Math_programs

You can compare the scope and sequence of the two versions here: http://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/SSUSandSTD2009.pdf

We did US Edition earlybird through 2B, switched to Standard for 3A-4A, eventually switched to Saxon as it's a better fit for us. Overall, I felt that the Standards edition had a bit more built-in review. With either one, you will want to supplement with learning math facts. We had no issue with standardized testing with either version (tested using both Woodcock-Johnson III and the ITBS during the years we used Singapore).

I recommend you go with the Standards edition. The differences are not great (mainly rearranged topics), but there is a Home Instructor's Guide available for the Standards edition, which is not available for the U.S. edition.

Hmmmm. I've gotten HIGs for the US editions from 1A to 3B without any difficulty. Where are you looking?