Menu

Singapore US edition or US Standards?

joyfulhomeschooler

To me, it would come down to how much review and hand-holding you want. I have the Standards Ed. From what I understand, it has more review and better HIGs than the US Ed. But I find myself skipping the reviews and ignoring the HIGs sitting on my shelf. In retrospect the US Ed might have been better (cheaper).

Either way, you're going to get a solid program. If you are not so comfortable teaching math, go with standards and be sure to buy the HIGs. If your dc need extra review to cement concepts, you'll find it in Standards. If your dc intuitively "get" math without much teaching and balk at too much review, the US Edition will save you some money.

I bought both (accidentally) and ended up keeing Standards. I liked it better because it went perfectly with the HIG, which tells me how to teach new concepts. I can't even tell you how impressed I am with SM! I am so glad we made the change this year! Best wishes!

I use the US edition, and it works perfectly with the HIG as well. That said, we are only in 1B. I don't know if this is different in higher levels.

If you chose the Standards Edition (which is my advice) you should be aware that there is a supplementary series of books called Intensive Practice (or IPs in WTM-speak) that are only available in the US Edition (thus far). The IPs amp-up the challenge of the Textbook/Workbooks (which for some children are a little bit "easy").

So if you have a child who you think would benefit from extra challenge and you want to use the IPs (which are really great IMO) you need to order it from the corresponding US Edition series.

Bill

I use the US edition, and it works perfectly with the HIG as well. That said, we are only in 1B. I don't know if this is different in higher levels.

I have been viewing samples of the HIG for US 1A/1B, and it is formatted like the Standards editions HIGs. The US 2A/2B HIGs look very different. I read on another thread that Sonlight publishes the HIGs for US 2A-6B, but not for US 1A/1B. Singapore Math publishes US 1A/1B and the Standards editions HIGs.

I love the HIGs for US 1A/1B. So, now I don't know which way to go for 2A/2B :confused: