Menu

Poll: What percentage would you assign to the word "predominantly"?

What percentage means "predominately" to you?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What percentage means "predominately" to you?

• 51% - anything over half is dominant, afterall
    • 60% range
    • 70% range
    • 80% range
    • 90% range
    • Ubquitous other

This question came to me in another thread where someone said that this board was predominantly Christian. The last poll done on this board (that I found) showed Christians as 77%. Leaving aside the accuracy of such a poll, since obviously not everyone who has ever logged in voted and the definition of Christian can be problematical even on what is considered a "must" to be considered Christian, what percentage do you think of when thinking of the word "predominantly"? I think of a higher percentage - more like 90% but I may be in the minority.

Now Jean,

You would have to ask such a "thinking" question just as the coffee pot ran out!

I'm a bit fuzzy I guess because the word seems slightly vague in and of itself. But, I guess my brain considers predominantly to be more than a high"ish" majority, which is more than a simple majority. It takes a 2/3 vote to overide a presidential veto so the founding fathers must have thought 66% sounded good. To me predominantly seems like it should be an indicator of more than that. So, I voted 80%, but without any real mathematical or scientific reason for it.

Next time, put a warning in the thread so I know to consume chocolate before opening! LOL

Faith

I think that, especially considering that the option was one choice among many, having 51% of one thing out of many, many options would qualify as "predominantly" that thing. I mean, the other options would each most likely only hold significantly smaller percentages.

Of course, this is a pretty subjective question.

Jean, I almost commented in that thread because I am just awestruck by the perception of those who do not believe this board is predominantly Christian. But my comments did not belong in that thread. But they do belong here:

I really and truly believe you are displaying a common perception bias. People have a tendency to more easily recall things that are NOT consistent with their attitudes and beliefs. Therefore, as you go through the threads on a typical day you may read many many MANY Christian-supportive threads and you may be nodding along with everything you read. Nothing you read is that surprising to you, it just goes along with what you already believe. In other words, it is reassuring but there is nothing extremely remarkable about those threads.

On the other hand, you might read a few threads where opinions are expressed that are not consistent with your own. These cause you some level of distress. You do not agree, how can they think these things? You think about it, fuss over it, and yeah, those threads have made their way into your memory.

Why would the poll you cited be off? Why wouldn't you believe that 77% of the people here are Christian? Isn't that number pretty consistent with the percentage of Americans who are Christian? Even if you do not believe that the number is so high, certainly you must believe that Christians are the majority religious group in America, correct? Why would the boards be any different?

For what it's worth, I selected 51% because I believe the majority should suffice. If even just 51% of the board members here are Christian, they are providing the majority of the opinions on this board. Especially if you take Christians as one group, then you have Muslims, Jewish people, and Atheists/Agnostics etc. comprising the other 49%, meaning that Muslims might be 15%, Jews 15%, Atheists 15%, etc. So each individual religious group is still a much smaller percentage than the majority group.

Edited by OH_Homeschooler

I know that it's subjective! I went to the dictionary to see if it gave a more narrow definition than "most common, prevalent" but that was it. But all words do have a connotation as well as a denotation, so I thought I'd ask.

And Faith - I'm all out chocolate! It's a National Emergency!

Why would the poll you cited be off? Why wouldn't you believe that 77% of the people here are Christian? Isn't that number pretty consistent with the percentage of Americans who are Christian? Even if you do not believe that the number is so high, certainly you must believe that Christians are the majority religious group in America, correct? Why would the boards be any different?

Oh, I don't think that poll is necessarily off. I just know that some posters are sticklers about statistical purity, which is why I put in the disclaimers. This poll came up because I realized that not everyone would think 77% equaled "predominantly".

For what it's worth, I selected 51% because I believe the majority should suffice. If even just 51% of the board members here are Christian, they are providing the majority of the opinions on this board. Especially if you take Christians as one group, then you have Muslims, Jewish people, and Atheists/Agnostics etc. comprising the other 49%, meaning that Muslims might be 15%, Jews 15%, Atheists 15%, etc. So each individual religious group is still a much smaller percentage than the majority group.

That is what I was trying to say, but you said it much more eloquently.

(In my defense, RockerBoy#2 was asking me non-stop questions and RockerDad called to see if we needed him to pick up anything on his way home. :tongue_smilie:)

Jean,

THAT BOY NEEDS A RE-EDUCATION! My 14 year old, the purveyor of chaos, pestiness (if that is a word), and all things annoying today, was smart enough to bring me a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. But, since I've done really well on my diet, I'm only going to nibble a tiny bit and put the rest away for another bad day.

Just tell your boy that he does not want to know a world in which half of the residents are homicidal about the other half and have no chocolate to medicate with!

Faith

When I think predominantly I think around 65% or greater. If the board was 90% of one thing, then I would use a different term, like "almost exclusively."

:iagree: I would call anything over 60% "predominant." If it's still in the 51%-59% range that still seems evenly split to me. 77% is definitely "predominant" and I would even call that very close to a "vast majority." Anything in the 90% range, to me, would be "almost exclusively."

:iagree: I would call anything over 60% "predominant." If it's still in the 51%-59% range that still seems evenly split to me. 77% is definitely "predominant" and I would even call that very close to a "vast majority." Anything in the 90% range, to me, would be "almost exclusively."

:iagree: So, I would call this board predominantly Christian, the vast majority of us homeschool and we are almost exclusively female.

This question came to me in another thread where someone said that this board was predominantly Christian. The last poll done on this board (that I found) showed Christians as 77%. Leaving aside the accuracy of such a poll, since obviously not everyone who has ever logged in voted and the definition of Christian can be problematical even on what is considered a "must" to be considered Christian, what percentage do you think of when thinking of the word "predominantly"? I think of a higher percentage - more like 90% but I may be in the minority.

You could do another poll. A very, very simple one with 2 choices: Do you identify as Christian? Yes or no.

It would, possibly, minimize the inevitable arguing over who or what is really Christian or not.

You could do another poll. A very, very simple one with 2 choices: Do you identify as Christian? Yes or no.

It would, possibly, minimize the inevitable arguing over who or what is really Christian or not.

It wouldn't. People would volunteer the information that "not all Christians would agree" and the thread would explode. That happens every time.

:iagree:

As a Christian..... it makes me sick.

I've seen those polls that have said explicitly not to discuss what makes a Christian. It doesn't matter.

:001_unsure: Oops, I already made a poll, cause it was interesting to me to see the numbers. Yikes. I can't recall seeing such a poll before, with a 'yes or no'.

:001_unsure: Oops, I already made a poll, cause it was interesting to me to see the numbers. Yikes. I can't recall seeing such a poll before, with a 'yes or no'.

(Looking at my ten foot pole)... I won't be there :p

No worries. It'll get deleted in no time at all :lol:

(Please note, this is meant in a friendly manner)

Although I would say its technically 51%, I voted in the 70% range because I think that is a more realistic take on "predominantly" in this context.

I definitely think that saying the board is not predominantly Christian until over 90% of its members identify as such is not realistic at all.

Although I would say its technically 51%, I voted in the 70% range because I think that is a more realistic take on "predominantly" in this context.

I definitely think that saying the board is not predominantly Christian until over 90% of its members identify as such is not realistic at all.

After thinking about it, I lowered my vote to 80%:tongue_smilie:

I'm one of the few that said 90%

51% is closer to half. I'd consider predominately to be +/- 7/8 of whatever is in question.

Technically I believe the Hive membership is predominately Christian. That said the number of regular posters is not predominately Christian. I was a bit shocked when I read the post in the other thread because I would have said no way is the board predominately Christian. I would have said closer to 50-50 due to the number of regular posters who are not Christian.

I think that, especially considering that the option was one choice among many, having 51% of one thing out of many, many options would qualify as "predominantly" that thing. I mean, the other options would each most likely only hold significantly smaller percentages.

I voted 80%, but this is a very good point.

I think any way you slice it, this board is predominantly Christian.

I think your other poll was worded just right - "do you identify yourself as a Christian". That takes any outside opinions away about who or what qualifies. I will be interested to see if it does indeed blow up!

ETA, I am amused that I even used the phrase "who or what qualifies" as if anyone could make that distinction except God!

I'm one of the few that said 90%

51% is closer to half. I'd consider predominately to be +/- 7/8 of whatever is in question.

Technically I believe the Hive membership is predominately Christian. That said the number of regular posters is not predominately Christian. I was a bit shocked when I read the post in the other thread because I would have said no way is the board predominately Christian. I would have said closer to 50-50 due to the number of regular posters who are not Christian.

Sort the members list by # of posts. Look at the first 5 pages. *Most* of them self-identify as Christian. It might be true that you will find more non-Christians here than on the Sonlight board or the Veritas Press board, but those materials are hard to use in a secular manner.

Sort the members list by # of posts. Look at the first 5 pages. *Most* of them self-identify as Christian. It might be true that you will find more non-Christians here than on the Sonlight board or the Veritas Press board, but those materials are hard to use in a secular manner.

I suppose I don't pay much attention to everyone's religious affiliation. I know a few for sure, but most others not at all.