Menu

Best, most well-balanced diet I have ever found

Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet-combines the best of all I have researched over many years of looking into nutrition. She has several books out, including one for feeding families/kids) and I love them all! Highly, highly recommended.

It's not a "diet"-it is nutrient dense eating that is not wacky or extreme in any way. It is just so common sense and well-balanced.

(note: her ideas can be done vegetarian or not)

I have many of her cookbooks. I did attempt to do this diet and I agree, it is an extremely healthy way to eat. I felt so good and even lost weight BUT I could no longer afford to eat that way. It got soooo expensive. I do still incorporate many good healthy foods in my diet but I just can't do that exclusively any longer. But, like I said, I loved it when I did it though.

kamut, agave, oatmeal, kasha, kefir, yogurt cheese, whole wheat flour, power flour, applesauce, eggs, walnuts, sucanat, pumpkin, brown rice, EVOO, sea salt, just to name a few items.

I have the hardcover cookbook ISBN 13: 978-1-55210-068-4 and the supercharged soft cover book, if anyone wants to buy them, let me know... I'll sell for half off Amazon price plus shipping. Email me in case I forget to come back to this post and check.

I like the philosophy and it had some good ideas but I found the recipes to be difficult simply because so many of the ingredients were hard to find or if I could find them so very expensive. Someone posted about another person Heidi something or other and I got her book from the library. It had similiar philosophy but I found the recipes were much easier to deal with because I already had most of the stuff around or could easily get it.

I like the philosophy and it had some good ideas but I found the recipes to be difficult simply because so many of the ingredients were hard to find or if I could find them so very expensive. Someone posted about another person Heidi something or other and I got her book from the library. It had similiar philosophy but I found the recipes were much easier to deal with because I already had most of the stuff around or could easily get it.

Can you put on your thinking cap and try to remember Heidi...who? I'm intrigued but can't up my grocery budget any more for strange ingredients. But I will look for Reno's book at the library at least to check it out. Thanks HappyGrace for the rec.

I have many of her cookbooks. I did attempt to do this diet and I agree, it is an extremely healthy way to eat. I felt so good and even lost weight BUT I could no longer afford to eat that way. It got soooo expensive. I do still incorporate many good healthy foods in my diet but I just can't do that exclusively any longer. But, like I said, I loved it when I did it though.

:iagree: I got her book for families and kids from the library, and many of the ingredients were either hard to find or too expensive.

Was it Heidi Swanson? Here is her page from Amazon...

I like the Eat Clean Diet too and actually just pulled it back off the shelf. I feel so good when I do this diet AND exercise.

I have made the breakfast cookies and my boys were not happy with raisins vs. chocolate chips! But they did eat them! :lol:

DH has actually asked that we up our grocery budget to accommodate more clean eating. I will have to see how much is actually costs to eat this way as a family.

Dawn

We have an excellent natural food co-op nearby with a HUGE bulk department so that helps us with our budget.

I totally understand tight budget-we ate "beans and rice" (practically) for years.:grouphug:

Another thing about budget-we have RARELY been sick in the past three years with eating this way. I mean-rare-once or per winter a mild cold or none at all-no doctor. (exception: my dd has been terribly ill with Lyme disease, so she can get other illnesses more easily due to that. But our pediatrician said she would be in FAR worse shape-possibly hospitalized-if we did not eat like we do.)

Anyway, we are in an area where these ingredients can be found in the natural section of any grocery store. I actually don't think most of the items are that way-out for most suburbs.

Plus we are used to eating this way for quite awhile so most of my cupboard is glass jars of lentils and oats and so on rather than packaged products.

We did NOT get this way overnight-it has probably been ten years of making one small change at a time. You can pick ONE thing that she does, and do that for awhile, then try the next thing you want to try, etc. I just wish I had her books starting out because everything I had to teach *myself* about nutrition over years is in one place in her books.

Edited by HappyGrace

I just checked out the Heidi Swanson book and it looks like her ingredients are similar to Tosca Reno's. Looks like a nice read too, thanks!

Forgot to mention there is also a nice magazine: Clean Eating, that I think her company puts out. I have not been as fond of the recipes in there for some reason though.

Was it Heidi Swanson? Here is her page from Amazon...

Yes that's the one. I just couldn't think of her last name.

The 5 delicious way ... was the one I had from the library.

There is a recipe for a white beans and chard that is fabulous. I make it and then eat it for at least two meals a day till it's gone.