Menu

R&S Spelling, Spelling Workout or Spelling Power?

KeriJ

Which one?? :)

We're enjoying R&S spelling 2 right now. Is it solid enough to continue on with?

I'm worried about prep. time for SP (from all I've heard).

and I'm worried about needless busy work for SW....again, just what I've read on here.

Those are my thoughts from what little I know. I'd love to hear yours!

Spelling Power doesn't have to take tons of prep. It was difficult for me to figure out at first, but now we just buzz through it. It probably makes a difference, though, that dd7 is a natural speller. Dd4 will likely be a different story. :) But, anyway, that's our experience!

Mama Anna

We're enjoying R&S spelling 2 right now. Is it solid enough to continue on with?

Absolutely. R&S may not be flashy, but it does an excellent job at teaching the hows and whys of spelling. The 3 book will step up the phonetic instruction a bit. If you continue it all the way through you won't need a separate vocab in middle school, as the 7 and 8 books focus more on root based word study.

Absolutely. R&S may not be flashy, but it does an excellent job at teaching the hows and whys of spelling. The 3 book will step up the phonetic instruction a bit. If you continue it all the way through you won't need a separate vocab in middle school, as the 7 and 8 books focus more on root based word study.

:iagree:

We have used R&S Spelling for two years and I love that dd is able to do it independently. I review with her the rule being introduced and then she is off to do spelling. We go over any mistakes the next day. I have her copy the words for each lesson as well as create her own sentences using the spelling words for that lesson. She is a good speller - not a natural, but has done well on tests.

bumping.

I also just finished reading over at homeschoolreviews.com

I found a lot of negative feedback about SW, mixed feedback about SP, and mostly positive about R&S.

We're using SWO and it seems fine. I'd love to know what kind of negative thoughts people had about it. Was it the format (which I'm fine with), or the word choices and that sort of thing? If it's something like people thinking the words aren't hard enough, there isn't enough root word practice or that sort of thing - I'd love to know since I've never looked at another program.

I don't find it has needless busywork at all, other than possibly the exercise where they have to write several sentences using the words.