Menu

Favorite brand of non-GMO tortilla chips....

BeckyFL

The label "organic" does mean an item is non-GMO. This is part of the organic definition.

I vote for Trader Joe's organic tortilla chips and organic Little Dippers. The Little Dippers taste just like Fritos Scoops, really! Also, I talked to the manager at Trader Joe's and verified that any item with the Trader Joe's label on it does not contain GMO ingredients, preservatives, or artificial colors or flavors.

Does the term "organic" signal that a product is non-GMO? If so, Wegman's has delicious organic yellow tortilla chips.

Yes. Thankfully, if it's labeled organic, it has to be GMO. They tried to change that but there was such an outcry from the public that they did not. When lots of people speak out, it does make a difference I guess!

I currently buy various organic brands from my local co-op.

With the changes that are being made regarding acceptance of GMO foods (by Good Foods, etc.), I'm not entirely sure that we'll be able to tell whether or not even organic corn, wheat, soy, etc. are GMO or not as we go forward, so I'm not sure what to tell you in that regard....

• 1 year later...
Guest daneide

I am new to the non-GMO world. What I have watched and read says yes that if it says organic that it is non-GMO but chips are made with oils and some of those oils if not marked organic are GMO.

If they are organic they should not technically be made from GMO corn. Any non- organic corn is probably GMO.

Yes, the simplest way to avoid GMO products is to buy organic (all certified organic food is required by law to be non-GMO).

Trader Joe's private label products do not contain GMO's, so even their non-organic chips are non-GMO, and I really like TJ's corn chips. We buy the huge bag of round ones - 32 oz. The organic white corn ones used to be my favorites, but for a while their supplier was overcooking them and they tasted burnt, so I just switched. The round chips are cheaper anyway.

My policy is to assume (unless otherwise labeled or indicated) that non-organic corn products are GMO.

With the changes that are being made regarding acceptance of GMO foods (by Good Foods, etc.), I'm not entirely sure that we'll be able to tell whether or not even organic corn, wheat, soy, etc. are GMO or not as we go forward, so I'm not sure what to tell you in that regard....

I'm worried about this, too. I don't even trust that things currently labeled "organic" truly are GMO-free. I think it's really difficult, maybe impossible, to keep anything pure. I think we've passed the point of no return, too.

I am new to the non-GMO world. What I have watched and read says yes that if it says organic that it is non-GMO but chips are made with oils and some of those oils if not marked organic are GMO.

That's probably true about the oils, unless they say organic in the ingredient list. But unless it's coconut or peanut oil and only used for frying one time (which is probably never the case for mass-produced food) then even if it's organic it's probably rancid anyway, which renders the GMO issue irrelevant for the oil, imo. Fried chips aren't exactly health food, though of course non-GMO corn is much better!

Costco's organic tortilla chips. Should I worry about the oils? (no bag in the house at present to check on this)

At any rate, I don't even know if we consider these our "favorite." (but what else would be?) They are just what we buy because they are organic (allegedly) and the price:quantity works out well, mathematically. Flavor, body, and thickness all are fine. For us, chips are an occasional, mindless swallow.

I take leftover tortilla, cut them into triangular pieces and "dehydrate" them in my microwave. I just prefer my chips less oily.

For now, if it's organic, I take that to mean non GMO and don't worry about the fine print... Otherwise I'd go crazy from trying to figure it all out.

We also like TJs chips, and we love the Archer Farms organic from Target, that's my usual purchase. There's also a type of purple corn chips we found at Costco... Can't tell you the brand right now. It was not organic but specifically labeled non GMO.