Menu

Timeline Pics

Mine is simple. I took a binder and put printer paper in it and drew a line across each page. I started at 5000BC and went to 400AD in 100 year increments on each page. Then, as dd and I read about ancient people we add them to the correct page in the binder. You can either use short written biographies and insert them in the correct place in the binder, or write the name on the correct page. We do both.

We're out of wallspace, so I like the Charlotte Mason "Book of Centuries" (BOC) concept. Less immediate, yes, but more long-term: this is a book we will hopefully keep and cherish forever.

Because we are Jewish and I wanted that reflected in our timeline studies, I created my own Jewish BOC (also for sale as a PDF - pwyc!).

I included some basic icon suggestions in my BOC, but I find that it's quick and easy just to use Google images for pictures to stick on. For most historical figures and events, there's bound to be something worthwhile. The other day, we learned about Helen Keller, so I just googled her and found a decent b&w picture to print and stick in the book with her dates.

This is probably the lazy (cheap) way, but it's VERY flexible - everybody and everything is on Google!

(For an entire year's worth of studies, I might round up images from Google ahead of time so I'm not wasting a whole sheet of paper for every single one.)

HTH!