Menu

Can we talk Vitamin D3 for a minute?

I went for my annual woman appt last week and my doctor spoke with me about D3 levels. Since coming to this forum, I have often wondered what my levels were, so he agreed to draw the blood work and check. I got a call from the nurse today and my level was 27. Unfortunately, she did not tell me what "normal" was, but I did find online that it should be around 50. The doctor suggested I take 5000 IU per day of D3 in the winter and decrease that to about 2000-3000 IU in the summer when I am outside more often.

Does this sound about right to those of you have BTDT?

Sounds like it might be okay for that level.

Three years ago my vitamin D level was 9, which was the lowest my Dr. at the time had ever seen.

She put me on a prescription D3 that is 50,000 iu once a week for awhile, then lowered it to once a month. Next time I got checked it was 50. I've heard 50 is where most want it, she wanted mine closer to 100.

I got it retested this summer and it was back down to 15. So now I'm taking 50,000 iu twice a week and supposed to get it rechecked again soon.

All that to say, that amount may or may not be enough so get it rechecked in a few months. I have more absorption problems from Celiac Disease though.

I had a similar problem. I was having severe bone pain and it turned out my Vitamin D level was 8...which is very low. I have lupus and have to avoid the sun like the plague. Since the sunlight helps the body create vitamin D...that's probably why your doctor wants you to taper the dose down in the summer. When I had my levels rechecked a few weeks ago it was 24. My doctor said they want to see numbers over 25, but I've heard conflicting information about what a "normal" vitamin D level. My rheumatologist wants to see levels of at least 50. HTH,

5000 IU is where you need to be just to get your levels up. Maintenance is about 2000 IU (at least, based upon what I've read).

Of course, according to Mercola, you could sunbathe nude every day for 15-20 minutes ... at least that's what my 65 yo father told me :shudders:

Of course, according to Mercola, you could sunbathe nude every day for 15-20 minutes ... at least that's what my 65 yo father told me :shudders:

My naturopath said it's particularly important for sunlight to hit your torso not just arms and legs, so maybe your dad is on to something. :D

My naturopath said it's particularly important for sunlight to hit your torso not just arms and legs, so maybe your dad is on to something. :D

Yes... but he doesn't live with you and your 5 littles... :lol: he has *always* loved to sunbathe. When I was growing up, he wore those itty bitty speedos to sunbathe. (my eyes...my eyes!!!):lol:

Some info for anyone who may be interested.

If you're under 50, take at least 2,000 IU per day.

If you're 50 or over, take at least 5,000 IU per day of vitamin D3.

Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing meal to ensure absorption.

Your need for vitamin D3 is affected by age, skin color, and the severity of any deficiency

Don't be concerned that 2,000-5,000 IU will give you too much. With exposure to sunlight in the summer, the body can generate between 10,000 IU and 20,000 IU of vitamin D per hour with no ill effects. In addition, no adverse effects have been seen with supplemental vitamin D intakes up to 10,000 IU daily.

To this day, medical textbooks mention the risk of vitamin D toxicity. Yet, the scientific literature suggests that toxicity occurs only with very large intakes of vitamin D over prolonged periods (more than 10,000 IUs daily for longer than 6 months). Except in people with disorders known as granulomatosis (such as sarcoidosis or tuberculosis), little risk (if any) is associated with vitamin D supplementation.

Vitamin D3 helps

BONE HEALTH

Optimal vitamin D levels are associated with a far lower risk of osteoporosis.

Facilitates calcium absorption and promotes bone mineralization

Fights frailty

One study found that people with low levels of vitamin D walked more slowly and took longer to get up out of a chair than people with higher levels.

Another study found that when people took vitamin D, their posture improved and their thigh muscles got stronger!

And still another study showed that vitamin D actually improves your balance, making you less likely to fall!

When vitamin D levels are low, the surface of bones become softer

This condition is called osteomalacia, and osteomalacia causes backaches and pain.

This softening of bones can be so mild it’s subclinical – which means you can’t identify it yet. But it could still be responsible for your pain. The problem stems from a lack of circulating calcium caused by insufficient vitamin D. So the solution is to take more D, not more calcium.

EMOTIONAL AND MENTAL WELL-BEING

Mood swings, depression, and bipolar disorders are all linked to a Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D helps normalize brain function.

CANCER PREVENTION

Those with optimal levels enjoy a 50 percent reduced risk of breast cancer, as well as a substantially reduced risk of colon, colorectal, prostate, thyroid, and bowel cancers

D appears to influence up to 200 genes involved in cancer formation and prevention.

Recent studies have shown that women with the lowest blood levels of vitamin D had the highest rates of breast cancer. Those who had the highest levels of vitamin D had the lowest incidents of breast cancer. They concluded that if a woman took 2,000 IU of this vitamin/hormone a day, she could cut her risk in half.

DIABETES

Low levels of vitamin D have been linked to diabetes (both type 1 and type 2)

MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS

The association between D3 and MS is compelling

Vitamin D helps normalize brain function. Its protective effects on nerve growth factors in the brain make it an ideal nutrient to use for either the prevention or treatment of MS.

There are more people with MS who live in the low altitudes of Switzerland than in the high altitudes where UV rays are stronger. Almost no cases of MS can be found at the equator, but the further away you go, the more MS you find. Countries farther from the equator typically have higher MS rates.

People with MS often have enough vitamin D to keep their bones healthy, but not enough to prevent the disease or reduce its symptoms

HEART HEALTH

Reduces risk of heart disease, stroke, and hypertension

PROTECTS AGAINST ELECTROPOLLUTION

Vitamin D3, is an ideal radioprotectant, even against low-level EMFs (cell phones, etc.). It helps facilitate communication between cells, which is interrupted by electropollution, and also activates the immune response, which can be tamped down by exposure to radiation. Take 5,000 IUs of Vitamin D daily (up to 10,000 IUs if you’re EMF sensitive, as a growing number of people are.

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY

German scientists suggest that vitamin D is anti-inflammatory, which may help explain why it also helps protect against cancer and cardiovascular disease, particularly congestive heart failure.

MENTAL DECLINE

Sufficient levels of D are critical in preserving brain function

Memory loss may be linked to a Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D helps normalize brain function. Its protective effects on nerve growth factors in the brain make it an ideal nutrient to use for either the prevention or treatment of mental decline. The more vitamin D, the better the memory

IMMUNITY, ANTI-ASTHMA, COLDS, AND FLUS

Research links low levels of vitamin D with asthma

Vitamin D3 reduces inflammation in infected lung tissues

Without D3 the body’s immune soldiers—T cells—can’t fight infections

Vitamin D3 boosts immunity against the flu – in fact, the vitamin D/flu connection theory is based on solid science

Vitamin D3 is a very strong antibiotic

WEIGHT PROBLEMS

D3 helps in maintaining a healthy weight

Recent research at the University of Minnesota even finds that overweight individuals are better able to shed pounds when they get more vitamin D. For each nanogram/milliliter increase in this vitamin, dieters lost an extra half-pound of body weight.

RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS

Reduces risk of rheumatoid arthritis

MACULAR DEGENERATION

Prevents macular degeneration

SUNBURN PROTECTION

Getting sufficient vitamin D actually protects your skin from sun damage

Researchers have found that those who take 5000 IU of vitamin D a day are not likely to burn

A recent study shows that D3 actually protects against sunburn and skin cancers

PARKINSON’S DISEASE

The reason that Parkinson’s affects so many older people may very well be as a result of staying indoors too much and not getting enough sun

Vitamin D helps normalize brain function – its protective effects on nerve growth factors in the brain make it an ideal nutrient to use for either the prevention or treatment of Parkinson’s

Since low amounts of D3 appear to be present in neurological diseases, such as MS and loss of memory, it’s a safe theory

Having low vitamin D levels may increase a person's risk of developing Parkinson's disease later in life, say Finnish researchers.

Their study of 3,000 people, published in Archives of Neurology, found people with the lowest levels of the sunshine vitamin had a three-fold higher risk.

Vitamin D could be helping to protect the nerve cells gradually lost by people with the disease, experts say.

The researchers from Finland's National Institute for Health and Welfare measured vitamin D levels from the study group between 1978 and 1980, using blood samples.

They then followed these people over 30 years to see whether they developed Parkinson's disease.

They found that people with the lowest levels of vitamin D were three times more likely to develop Parkinson's, compared with the group with the highest levels of vitamin D.

Most vitamin D is made by the body when the skin is exposed to sunlight, although some comes from foods like oily fish, milk or cereals.

As people age, however, their skin becomes less able to produce vitamin D.

Doctors have known for many years that vitamin D helps calcium uptake and bone formation.

But research is now showing that it also plays a role in regulating the immune system, as well as in the development of the nervous system.

CHRONIC BACK PAIN

Helps relieve chronic back pain

One recent study showed that 95% of participants improved after taking D3 for 3 months

Chronic back pain patients should try taking 5000-10,000 IU daily for 3 months

HAIR LOSS

Vitamin D deficiencies can lead to thinning hair and hair loss

THYROID HEALTH

Vitamin D3 is one of the most important ways to heal the thyroid. This nutrient helps the gland cope with stress and convert inactive T4 into active T3.

WHO IS DEFICIENT IN D?

Most people are deficient!

• Body-mass index (BMI) and obesity

• Older people

• Dark-skinned people

• Strict vegetarians

• People with celiac, Crohn’s disease, and cystic fibrosis

• Heredity

• Certain medications

• Regular use of sunscreen

• Northern Latitudes (above that of Atlanta, Georgia)

Thanks Negin, really interesting! I take 1,000 iu Vitamin D3 daily and I'm sure it helps me in the winter with S.A.D.

I'm also a sun-hater, because I burn within 15mins exposure to the sun with or without sunscreen; I have extremely fair skin and have never tanned.

For the last 2 years, my kids each take 1000IU daily and I take 4000IU. It has made a tremendous improvement on our health. In the past, we would be hit by colds and throw up viruses from Nov to Mar. For the last 2 years, we've had 3 colds. We hang at the pool and baseball fields all summer long and we are never sick during the summer. This is by far, the best thing we have ever done for our health.

My kids love the Rainbow Light gummies and I take Carlson drops. http://www.amazon.com/Carlson-Ddrops-2000-IU-10ml/dp/B001LF39DS

For the last 2 years, my kids each take 1000IU daily and I take 4000IU. It has made a tremendous improvement on our health. In the past, we would be hit by colds and throw up viruses from Nov to Mar. For the last 2 years, we've had 3 colds.

My kids love the Rainbow Light gummies and I take Carlson drops. http://www.amazon.com/Carlson-Ddrops-2000-IU-10ml/dp/B001LF39DS

Same exact experience here. Our kids hardly ever get sick anymore. I'm convinced that it's a result of D3 (2000 IU) most days and Carlson's Fish Oil. Our ds has viral-induced asthma and would throw up also. Hardly ever anymore.

Rainbow Light is said to be very good. I need to get some of that.