Menu

Teaching Textbooks 4: who is using it or has used it?

fenni

Hi!

I'm considering buying TT 4 for my son. I'm trying to decide between that and Professor B level 2. TT pulls at me because of the independent factor, but Prof. B would save money over buying TT 4 & 5. Prof. B also claims we would be through level 2 (which covers grades 3-5) in 10 months. That's appealing because I feel my son is just a bit behind for a 4th grader. He just completed 3rd grade math. Not due to any learning difficulties, just due to mom. Prof. B CD requires me to sit with him at the computer, though, and I have heard the book doesn't exactly line up with the CD.

So, I would like to know if TT 4 is truly independent. What will it require of me? Did your children really learn and retain with TT 4? Does it teach strategies and understanding?

Thanks for any input.

TT4 is truly independent. Works well here - I require that if he misses any questions then he must watch the solution / explanation. I check on my parent page to make sure that he has done that. I work on drills / faster computation with Flashmaster as they don't have much busy work (but that's a good thing!). We love it! :001_wub:

My dd just did TT4 and I was kind of disappointed with it. I felt it was behind for a 4th grade level textbook and did not do nearly enough division. Simple division isn't covered until late in the book and it's at around lesson 104 (out of 119 lessons) that long division is done at all. There was not enough done with long division in my opinion for a 4th grade math book. I wound up putting dd into Saxon and am supplementing with MM division sheets to make up for what I feel was a wasted year with TT4.

That said TT worked great for my oldest dd. She loved doing math independently. She did TT 5 and 6. My second child did not do well with TT and did not do well with it independently. I wound up sitting with her through most of her time working on the lessons or it did not seem to stick with her. The explanations especially for fractions confused her. After doing just a few MM fraction sheets she had a much better grasp on fractions than what she got with TT.

My youngest will be finishing TT4 some time next week. It has been completely independent. The only trouble he had was with remembering the steps for long division but we worked through a few together one day and he's been fine since.

As for retention, I can't speak to that. I believe he's retaining it but I haven't done anything to verify it yet. Once he finishes, he's going to spend some time working in a Horizons book that I happen to have. If he can do the work in that without a lot of hand holding from me, I'll feel comfortable that he understands the concepts and can apply them in a variety of situations. I won't know for sure about that for a few weeks yet.

We're currently using TT3 for my 2nd grade son and its been great. Its completely independent (except for the occasion that he doesn't understand how to do a problem or something). I do check his work each day (he prints out the graded lesson page for me when he's finished with it) and I also require him to view the explanation for any problem he misses. I have also had him watch the lecture again once or twice when he was making a lot of mistakes. We haven't had to do that too often and going through it a second time helped. We'll definitely be doing TT4 next year, though I will probably start making him do the work in the book before he enters it into the computer (he's doing it almost completely in his head right now).

My 3rd grader is using TT 4 (finished lesson 71 today). It's perfect. She likes that it's on the computer, fairly straightforward. I like that it is independent. I only have to work with her once every couple of months if I notice on the parent page that she's dropped below 90%. I've had to supplement multiplication tables, but other than that, it's working wonderfully!

Depends upon the child. My older DD would rather read the instructions in the book and do the problems (feels DVDs and TT is a waste of a lot of time).

My younger son LOVES TT. He will start level 7 next year.

I don't know where my younger dd will wind up, but she's starting with MM.

Simple division isn't covered until late in the book and it's at around lesson 104 (out of 119 lessons) that long division is done at all.

Long division is not included in TT4. That is short division (a multi-digit number divided by a single digit). Dd7 has done TT 3 & 4 this year -- and is now working through TT5. Long division is not introduced until TT5 at Lesson 77 - dividing with a two-digit divisor.

We use TT 'ahead' and like it in combination with other 'Asian' math methods.

Hi!

I That's appealing because I feel my son is just a bit behind for a 4th grader. He just completed 3rd grade math. Not due to any learning difficulties, just due to mom.

Thanks for any input.

That is exactly the reason why TT4 has been an amazing program for us!! Dd was in Feb of 3rd grade last year and still not through the first workbook of Saxon 3. I hated dragging it out and doing math for an hour. And of course since I had to teach it, if I was having a bad day or was super busy with something else, that hour long math lesson went the way of the dodo. Dd tested into TT4 and we started it in March or April of 3rd grade, took a break for summer, and resumed at the beginning of 4th. Now math gets done even when I have a busy day, or am sick, or any other countless excuses that I came up with for NOT sitting down with Saxon math :tongue_smilie: If dd has a problem, I can look at her lesson, see where she is struggling and go over those problems with her. It has been a God send here! If you have the money, I would go for it. You could have your ds do a sample lesson on their website to see if he likes the format. That would be the only reason I would hesitate to buy if the funds were there.

Long division is not included in TT4. That is short division (a multi-digit number divided by a single digit). Dd7 has done TT 3 & 4 this year -- and is now working through TT5. Long division is not introduced until TT5 at Lesson 77 - dividing with a two-digit divisor.

We use TT 'ahead' and like it in combination with other 'Asian' math methods.

Lesson 104 in TT4 is titled Long Division and does teach the four steps of long division. It does only introduce 1 digit divisors in TT4. Division of any sort doesn't appear in TT5 until Lesson 62 and doesn't get to a 2 digit divisor until Lesson 77. I do think TT is about a year behind and I wish I had realized that when I first placed my girls into it. My dd who did TT 6 last year was a little behind of her 7th grade PS class this year.

Well I purchased it this afternoon! I didn't really want to spend the money because there is a lot on the table of contents that he already covered, but he was not ready for TT 5. I figure I will either sell it or use it with another child, so it won't be so bad in the long run. Seems the program has good re-sale. I'm hoping to keep a strong pace and finish in time to start 5 in the fall. I really need to keep him moving fwd on math and with a baby arriving in a few months I wanted to take me mostly out of the equation.

Thanks for all the great input!

Lesson 104 in TT4 is titled Long Division and does teach the four steps of long division. It does only introduce 1 digit divisors in TT4. Division of any sort doesn't appear in TT5 until Lesson 62 and doesn't get to a 2 digit divisor until Lesson 77.

:iagree:

I wanted to clarify for the the OP what TT4 covered, in terms of division. Since it is a typical 3rd grade math program, it would be important to know for a potential customer that long division is not included in TT4. Dd7 enjoyed learning the 4-steps of 'short' division in TT4. The explanations are fantastic.

Well I hope I purchased the right one. We did use the placement test and he could not pass into 5. I kind of wondered if I could have covered the missing pieces myself, but I am having a baby at the end of May and really need him to be independent and keep on trucking as much as he can without me. I will be here if he needs help, of course.